Calling those with high MCAT, low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[REST OF POST DELETED]

As others have said, I recommend Hofstra and USC for high MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Think I might qualify for this thread: 3.63cgpa/3.39sgpa/522 MCAT. Definitely tough to make a school list for.....and even tougher to find consistent advice!
Yeah, with a GPA like that 3.6 there's no point in even applying, really. :rolleyes:

Sent from my phone, I apologize for any typos or brevity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, with a GPA like that 3.6 there's no point in even applying, really. :rolleyes:

Basically fodder for the Carib cannon.

Reactions: 5 users
Seriously, that leaves you <10th percentile for sgpa at virtually every school with an mcat 10th-90th percentile range of 30-40. MSAR man. Look it up.
Still stop. You're doing that fishing thing where you post about how screwed you are so everyone will gush over you and tell you how set you are and how awesome your stats are. Even if you don't mean to or admit it to yourself, that's what's going on. I get that people can be nervous before applying, but if you want reassurance, make a WAMC thread or something.

Seriously, that leaves you <10th percentile for sgpa at virtually every school with an mcat 10th-90th percentile range of 30-40. MSAR man. Look it up.

Reactions: 4 users
Still stop. You're doing that fishing thing where you post about how screwed you are so everyone will gush over you and tell you how set you are and how awesome your stats are. Even if you don't mean to or admit it to yourself, that's what's going on. I get that people can be nervous before applying, but if you want reassurance, make a WAMC thread or something.

That's not really my style, I already know I kicked a$$ and don't need people to tell me. The reason I posted on here was because of my interest in how people construct their school lists with somewhat discordant stats or a non-trad background. My WAMC post yielded some good info, but like I said before, consistent advice is hard to come by.

You don't have a low GPA.

3.39 sgpa falls at 10th percentile for MANY schools. My chances of admission are great, I'm aware of that! It's more about saying "hey, these are schools that accepted me with stats/background similar to yours". Info sharing makes sense bro!
I'm not going to argue with you, as you're clearly convinced you're right. You just keep on telling yourself that your info about how to apply with a 3.6/522 is helpful or remotely relevant to those with actual low gpas.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey well I saw @ElanaSilogram 's post above (similar to mine, although her sgpa is better) and thought it was helpful. May even throw an app to Hofstra bc of it. Are you pre-med?
She also wasn't low GPA, CA doesn't change that. And I say this as a recent low GPA high MCAT CA applicant who will be starting med school in a few weeks.

Sorry, but these sorts of take overs of low stats threads by those with decent stats are very common, but also pretty discouraging for someone looking for actual low gpa advice. When you're looking for advice on a tough app, it's not really helpful to hear someone with far better odds than you talking about how screwed they are or describing their strategy (which probably won't help you since your situation is so different). I spent the past 3-4 YEARS sifting through every low GPA or stats thread that came up (or was in the archives) and processed all of that, plus plenty of other sources, until I felt I could realistically overcome the 3.1x GPA I graduated with, and it worked. But in the process, I watched pretty much every single one devolve into a thread about "barely borderline" stats instead of actual lows, and it gets frustrating. Sorry if that came out too harshly on you, but know that it comes not from ignorance of the MSAR, but rather firsthand knowledge of what it means to actually apply as a low GPA applicant. You are lucky enough not to fall within that category, not really. And that's a GREAT thing, go conquer! But your situation is just not analogous to someone with an actual GPA <3.3.

Reactions: 4 users
She also wasn't low GPA, CA doesn't change that. And I say this as a recent low GPA high MCAT CA applicant who will be starting med school in a few weeks.

Sorry, but these sorts of take overs of low stats threads by those with decent stats are very common, but also pretty discouraging for someone looking for actual low gpa advice. When you're looking for advice on a tough app, it's not really helpful to hear someone with far better odds than you talking about how screwed they are or describing their strategy (which probably won't help you since your situation is so different). I spent the past 3-4 YEARS sifting through every low GPA or stats thread that came up (or was in the archives) and processed all of that, plus plenty of other sources, until I felt I could realistically overcome the 3.1x GPA I graduated with, and it worked. But in the process, I watched pretty much every single one devolve into a thread about "barely borderline" stats instead of actual lows, and it gets frustrating. Sorry if that came out too harshly on you, but know that it comes not from ignorance of the MSAR, but rather firsthand knowledge of what it means to actually apply as a low GPA applicant. You are lucky enough not to fall within that category, not really. And that's a GREAT thing, go conquer! But your situation is just not analogous to someone with an actual GPA <3.3.

Sent from my phone, I apologize for any typos or brevity.[/QUOTE

@mehc012 no problem! Didn't mean to interrupt. Congrats and enjoy Case!

I finished undergrad with multiple C's, multiple W's, and a GPA that I repaired through a DIY post bac while I was in grad school. I was below 10th percentile for GPA and above 90th percentile at just about every school I applied to.

@mehc012 and others on here, I realize my experience isn't as extreme of a case as others posting on here and my intent was not to discourage. I will remove my previous post.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How are secondaries going for everyone?

How many of your decided to address the low GPA in secondaries? I decided against it but I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice. Really hoping my upward trend and MCAT will speak for itself.

How are secondaries going for everyone?

How many of your decided to address the low GPA in secondaries? I decided against it but I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice. Really hoping my upward trend and MCAT will speak for itself.

I am doing it. Just a quick, concise, "I used to suck, then I was motivated by X and took Y steps and got better."

My theory on low gpa high mcat is it behaves kinda like a shot gun distribution ... many seemingly random hits (IIs) all over the board. At least that was my experience. Good luck everyone, and to the idiot above complaining about his 522...ummm...f off...

My theory on low gpa high mcat is it behaves kinda like a shot gun distribution ... many seemingly random hits (IIs) all over the board. At least that was my experience. Good luck everyone, and to the idiot above complaining about his 522...ummm...f off...

My theory on low GPA/high MCAT applicants is they'll get good love from WashU, Penn, Pritzker and NYU if their ECs are also strong. Oh and upward GPA trend matters a lot.

This is in contrast to high GPA/low MCAT applicants, who will likely get wiped out by MD schools unless there's something amazing about them.

Schools use yield protection based on 90th percentile MCATs and not 90th percentile GPAs for a reason.

Reactions: 1 users
My theory on low GPA/high MCAT applicants is they'll get good love from WashU, Penn, Pritzker and NYU if their ECs are also strong. Oh and upward GPA trend matters a lot.

This is in contrast to high GPA/low MCAT applicants, who will likely get wiped out by MD schools unless there's something amazing about them.

Schools use yield protection based on 90th percentile MCATs and not 90th percentile GPAs for a reason.
Reading these boards and looking at the stats, I don't see a lot of support for this theory.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity.

Reactions: 3 users
Reading these boards and looking at the stats, I don't see a lot of support for this theory.

Hmm.... how? At least at the bare minimum, I would argue that a low GPA/high MCAT would get into an MD school (which is possible, like Hofstra for example). The strong form of that argument would be getting into WashU/Penn/Pritzker/NYU etc. since they like high MCATs.

Yes to Wash U but not really for Prtizker, Penn and NYU.

The problem is that there are an exceedingly small number of people with the low gpa/high mcat profile. The high mcat is in itself statistically rare by design...so the people with the good score but also bad gpa are even rarer.

If we consider a high mcat the top 8% (514+), then think how tiny the fraction of those people are who had bad gpa are.

Last edited:
Reapplicant checking in here. 3.34 cGPA, 3.87 sGPA (from my post-bacc), 520 MCAT. Applied to 25 schools last cycle (probably too top-heavy though) and got only one interview, which turned into a WL.

Second time's the charm, right? Right? Hahahahahaha... ha... *sob*

Glad I finally found a home base for this thing. How big of an issue do you guys think it is that people get rejected because schools think the applicant can actually do better due to their high MCAT. Seems like a super complicated issue to deal with, but I'm not convinced of how real it is.

Glad I finally found a home base for this thing. How big of an issue do you guys think it is that people get rejected because schools think the applicant can actually do better due to their high MCAT. Seems like a super complicated issue to deal with, but I'm not convinced of how real it is.

Personally I do not believe this is a particularly serious issue, unless you apply to a school where you don't fit the mission at all. Nonetheless, I do think us high MCAT / low gpa types need to apply a bit more broadly than someone with a more balanced LizzyM.

What about people with a low gpa and a borderline medium (88%) mcat =(

512 mcat 3.49 cGPA, ~3.4 sGPA

Last edited:
I think I probably belong here.

undergrad: 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA
3.9 SMP, 519 MCAT

I'm applying to pretty much every low and middle tier school just because I'm worried about how they are gonna feel about my stats.

Good luck to everyone!

Personally I do not believe this is a particularly serious issue, unless you apply to a school where you don't fit the mission at all. Nonetheless, I do think us high MCAT / low gpa types need to apply a bit more broadly than someone with a more balanced LizzyM.

I thought this was a ludicrous idea until I saw how this app cycle actually shook out. The distribution pattern of IIs was very interesting, at least in my case. I heard primarily from schools where my LizzyM fit theirs, not either one of my stats. Schools where my GPA fit and my MCAT was well out of range, didn't send me IIs, while schools where I was notably below the GPA range but equally notably above the MCAT range sent me several. I didn't get much love from the high-stats schools, either, but then I also did not apply to the known MCAT-seekers because their mission doesn't tend to fit with my goals. Were I to do this cycle again (though I ended up pretty much exactly where I wanted to be) I would focus more on that middle range and less on the gpa matches.

Reapplicant checking in here. 3.34 cGPA, 3.87 sGPA (from my post-bacc), 520 MCAT. Applied to 25 schools last cycle (probably too top-heavy though) and got only one interview, which turned into a WL.

Second time's the charm, right? Right? Hahahahahaha... ha... *sob*

dang I have very similar stats. same mcat. slightly higher cgpa and much lower sgpa. 1 MD interview > WL and will be attending a DO school in 1 weekish

Yes, I've heard for its' MCAT USC has accepted those with GPA's on the lower side

I believe their old MCAT score was 35, GPA average a 3.7 (from their website; not sure if that's changed recently)

3.7 is not "low" per say but it's also an average so you have a chance with a 3.6

Hey what's up, 3.47 GPA and 520 MCAT checking in

(still finishing secondaries :()

This thread is where I need to be! I'm a 3.55 cgpa/3.4 sgpa African American female with a 520 MCAT. I was told by some people that I had my pick of the litter in terms of medical schools (including top 10) based on my MCAT, but I'm still pretty wary because of my low GPA. Anyone willing to provide perspective on this? Brutal honesty is super appreciated so that I apply wisely!
You don't have a particularly low GPA, and you have a high MCAT. Apply early and broadly, have reasonable essays and interview responses. You're good.

3.5~ GPA 3.4~scpga 518 checking in. Its weird looking at the MSAR. I feel like a schizophrenic oscilating between euphoria that my MCAT is in line with Harvard, and crippling depression because my gpa is below state school medians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I thought this was a ludicrous idea until I saw how this app cycle actually shook out. The distribution pattern of IIs was very interesting, at least in my case. I heard primarily from schools where my LizzyM fit theirs, not either one of my stats. Schools where my GPA fit and my MCAT was well out of range, didn't send me IIs, while schools where I was notably below the GPA range but equally notably above the MCAT range sent me several. I didn't get much love from the high-stats schools, either, but then I also did not apply to the known MCAT-seekers because their mission doesn't tend to fit with my goals. Were I to do this cycle again (though I ended up pretty much exactly where I wanted to be) I would focus more on that middle range and less on the gpa matches.
That is fascinating. I screened for 10th percentile GPA cutoffs within a 10%. If i was above I applied. I just assumed below the 10th percentile would mean not likely.

So far however, I have had one I from a school where my MCAT is one SD above their mean, probably closer to two SDs above their mean. But it was a great fit mission wise. The interviewer basically said you have a great MCAT I know you are going to get some love from x school that is super competitive.

Also are you calculating lizzyM based on the SDN tool or the MSAR median acceptance? Because there is a two point lizzyM swing between acceptance vs matriculants.

That is fascinating. I screened for 10th percentile GPA cutoffs within a 10%. If i was above I applied. I just assumed below the 10th percentile would mean not likely.

So far however, I have had one I from a school where my MCAT is one SD above their mean, probably closer to two SDs above their mean. But it was a great fit mission wise. The interviewer basically said you have a great MCAT I know you are going to get some love from x school that is super competitive.

Also are you calculating LizzyM based on the SDN tool or the MSAR median acceptance? Because there is a two point lizzyM swing between acceptance vs matriculants.
I have no idea what SDN tool you mean, and I've been on here a while. MSAR.

There is an Sdn school selector. It spits out schools with LizzyM gpa and mcat info based on acceptances.
I've never heard of anyone using that. At any rate, you've got a high MCAT, mid-range gpa so you're fine. Good luck on the cycle!

FWIW, I applied with a high MCAT and low GPA and my results are pretty consistent with @The Knife & Gun Club so far. IIs at a wide range of schools including the typical "low tier" ones, some random state schools, and some school's SDN would have laughed at me for applying to.

How many LizzyM point differences should we be aiming for ?

FWIW, I applied with a high MCAT and low GPA and my results are pretty consistent with @The Knife & Gun Club so far. IIs at a wide range of schools including the typical "low tier" ones, some random state schools, and some school's SDN would have laughed at me for applying to.
In terms of yield protection did you just get straight rejected early or placed on hold?

In terms of yield protection did you just get straight rejected early or placed on hold?
Very few straight rejections, just a lot of extra waiting at every stage of the process.

3.3, 519

I applied very, very broadly. Don't be afraid to throw in some reaches, but be sure to have good set of schools that are within your stats range. Personally I'm seeing some success with DO schools; still waiting to hear back from MD's, but hey it's pretty early in the cycle.

In CA, the "IS advantage" is overshadowed by 6,520 IS applicants and only two (small) schools with a professed preference for IS applicants. Other states are different.

Which are the two schools that prefer IS?

I'm applying right now with a 3.52 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa and a 520 MCAT. I applied all over the board as well. I've gotten 5 invites (2 of my state schools, one OOS public school, one low tier private school and one top 20 private school) and have gotten rejections from 3 schools (2 mid tier private schools, one OOS public school). The discrepancy was asked about in one of my interviews and I just said something about life getting in the way and having a bad couple of semesters. I kind of regret not taking time off to work on my GPA and at least have this semester's grades factored in, but the process has been going well so far so I can't complain too much.

Got asked for the first time about the discrepancy between my GPA and MCAT score in an interview today!

Although he clarified that it wasn't in a doubting me way, more just curious if something changed.

I'm applying right now with a 3.52 cgpa and a 3.5 sgpa and a 520 MCAT. I applied all over the board as well. I've gotten 5 invites (2 of my state schools, one OOS public school, one low tier private school and one top 20 private school) and have gotten rejections from 3 schools (2 mid tier private schools, one OOS public school). The discrepancy was asked about in one of my interviews and I just said something about life getting in the way and having a bad couple of semesters. I kind of regret not taking time off to work on my GPA and at least have this semester's grades factored in, but the process has been going well so far so I can't complain too much.

that's so awesome! when were you complete?

Got asked for the first time about the discrepancy between my GPA and MCAT score in an interview today!

Although he clarified that it wasn't in a doubting me way, more just curious if something changed.

Haha same. I just wanted to be like "shhh ignore it, just look back at my MCAT score please".