Calorimetry (Thermodynamics) Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yestomeds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just looking at a simple calorimetry experiment using a styrofoam cup. We're using a lid on that cup during this calorimetry experiment because we wanna:

prevent heat loss via convection or
prevent heat loss via evaporation? (note, one cannot choose both). :p

This is p.154 from TBR Chem, Book 2.

Thanks so much for your clarification/explanation!!

Members don't see this ad.

Evaporation isn't really an independent process of having dynamic thermo's (heat loss). There is radiation, conduction, and convection. I imagine evaporation is a subtype of convection, heat loss by hot things moving away.

Put your hand over a cup of coffee. You can feel the heat rising over you. That's convection, moving a lot of heat.

I vote convection.

Last edited:
I'd go for convection currents as well because it refers to movement of fluids or air due to heat transfer. Hope this helps!

I vote conduction.

You mean you vote convection? :)

I'd go for convection currents as well because it refers to movement of fluids or air due to heat transfer. Hope this helps!
Thanks. :)

Yea I think it's a lack of understanding on my end, as I'm not getting why evaporation is not considered the appropriate (or as appropriate) answer here.

Thanks. I wrote that on a phone and I think it got autocorrected. I fixed it.