Camp Lejeune

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denatured

Hawkeye
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have advice for Camp Lejeune? I'm a PA and going to PCS there in January. Wife and I are looking to leave in sneads ferry right by the back gate. Not sure yet what clinic I will be in. May even put me over in the FM clinic.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have seen that thread, but thought I'd ask to get any fresh thoughts or find out more than just about the living area. Fortunately I have a wife and kid, so it *sounds* like I should enjoy it better. Thanks again for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
Get out before the kiddo is school age and it's not a terrible place. You'll probably continue to procreate out of boredom so it might be an expensive tour.

Reactions: 1 user
Im currently at Lejeune, I heard traffic was horrible but it hasn't been. In Jacksonville there are good retail offerings such as walmart, target, ocharlies, outback, chick fil a, etc. I decided against Sneads ferry because I felt that swansboro or cedar point had more retail offerings.

Jacksonville is one of the nastiest, skeeziest places in the country. I wouldn't wish it on anyone with a family. Or really anyone except 18-20 year old junior Marine warfighters.

There were nice neighborhoods with good public schools. It was a fine place for my family and kids (aged 1-8 at the time).

Not a cultural Mecca by any means but 5-year-olds don't need the opera and a local NFL team.

I was there 2003-2006, haven't been back since. Could be different now I guess.

You should seen court street when it was nothing but bars.

You can contract gonorrhea walking down the street in Jacksonville. And definitely from the water.

Trust me, I'm in biochem ;)

It was Olongapo where one could become infected on the street literally, at an open air bar. 4.8MU Wycillin IM, and 2 grams of probenecid po. No liberty until a negative Thayer Martin Culture.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody have advice on the actual moving? I've tried getting an answer, but can't get a straight one. Can I move before ODS and get reimbursed? I was planning on a DITY and I've already found a place I want to live, which is being held for me.

To get reimbursed for a DITY (these days it's called a PPM - personally procured move) you will need to sit through some classes and sign a bunch of papers. Call them first.

You might be able to do the move first and then submit your receipts. If you do, there's some risk you'll screw up some detail. Be sure to get THREE vehicle weights at a certified scale: empty at origin, full at origin, and full at destination. This is a fairly new anti-fraud requirement. There is other fine print (eg a towed vehicle isn't part of your reimbursed weight).

The best thing is to call them and ask. You're certainly not the first person to be in this situation.

I do wonder though, if you're just coming into active duty if you can get reimbursed for a move you executed before you were actually on AD, even if that move was to the first duty station.

To get reimbursed for a DITY (these days it's called a PPM - personally procured move) you will need to sit through some classes and sign a bunch of papers. Call them first.

You might be able to do the move first and then submit your receipts. If you do, there's some risk you'll screw up some detail. Be sure to get THREE vehicle weights at a certified scale: empty at origin, full at origin, and full at destination. This is a fairly new anti-fraud requirement. There is other fine print (eg a towed vehicle isn't part of your reimbursed weight).

The best thing is to call them and ask. You're certainly not the first person to be in this situation.

I do wonder though, if you're just coming into active duty if you can get reimbursed for a move you executed before you were actually on AD, even if that move was to the first duty station.

Well, technically speaking, I'm AD now since I'm HPSP. But you raise a good question. I'm going to be an O2 as of graduation (faculty member is a Navy officer and going to do my commission right there), but I'll planning to move before graduation when I would have some help. So I may get screwed on the allowable weight.