Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aceepted today as wellll....had the interview on Tuesday so amazing responseee time.

ACCEPTED 10/25!:love: I'm from PA and that did not seem to be an issue for Campbell at all so I would not be discouraged if you are out of state. I liked Campbell so much more than I expected, and I think it's going to be a really great school.

Congratulations to you both! If you're interested, find us on facebook! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Brittanie! How does CU-SOM
Compare to others for you?

I was actually really shocked at how impressed I was with the school.

They were my third interview and they really blew me away!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED 10/25!:love: I'm from PA and that did not seem to be an issue for Campbell at all so I would not be discouraged if you are out of state. I liked Campbell so much more than I expected, and I think it's going to be a really great school.

You and I just keep getting into the same places!

Perhaps we are destined to be classmates :D?

Hahah I know right!....Now I'm torn on which school I like better. Both were amazing.

Do you guys think it would be too late to submit a secondary now?

I submitted my secondary at the end of September and I still haven't gotten an email saying my file is complete. Are others experiencing a similar delay? I'm beginning to get nervous because applicants are already receiving acceptances.

For those who were accepted: how long did it take you to have your secondary verified and how long till you had an interview from there? Thanks!!!

For those who were accepted: how long did it take you to have your secondary verified and how long till you had an interview from there? Thanks!!!

Aug 1st- secondary submission
Aug 13th - received verification email
Sep 11- interview invite ( they gave me two interview dates to choose from)

Is it taking forever for them to verify your app too?? Mine's been over a month, I called them and they told me that was normal...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you called them then take a deep breath, your time will come! We are now neck deep in app season and schools are overwhelmed with what is in most cases, record breaking years. From what it appears, there are still a plenty of seats to fill so don't fret about that yet.

Last edited:
If you called them then take a deep breath, your time will come! We are now neck deep in app season and schools are overwhelmed with what is in most cases, record breaking years. From what it appears, there are still a plenty of seats to fill so don't fret about that yet.

True true. I was just super concerned when people who submitted their apps after me have already interviewed and I know I had everything in. Just don't wanna waste the app ya know? Let the waiting continue!

So I got an e-mail from CU-SOM saying I don't meet their minimum requirements for a secondary application; I checked the minimum requirements, had all my pre-reqs, strong GPA, decent MCAT, and have received a secondary app from every other DO school I applied to (15), as well as 2 interview invites so far. I e-mailed them back of course asking what exactly it was that I hadn't met, but haven't heard back yet. I was applying here as a safety school actually, that obviously backfired on me. Just curious if anyone else had a minimum requirement not met e-mail?

Thanks

So I got an e-mail from CU-SOM saying I don't meet their minimum requirements for a secondary application; I checked the minimum requirements, had all my pre-reqs, strong GPA, decent MCAT, and have received a secondary app from every other DO school I applied to (15), as well as 2 interview invites so far. I e-mailed them back of course asking what exactly it was that I hadn't met, but haven't heard back yet. I was applying here as a safety school actually, that obviously backfired on me. Just curious if anyone else had a minimum requirement not met e-mail?

Thanks

What is your science GPA on AACOMAS?

on AACOMAS, I see it as 3.56

That's odd. If you have over a 3.2 sci and at least a 3.0 cum, along with a 25+ MCAT depending on what your GPA is, you should have got a secondary. I'd e-mail/call them and ask, it could well be a clerical error.

Thanks
That worries me...

I got an e-mail from them that doesn't address/answer my question at all; instead the e-mail just said my application has been sent to "pre-screen" committee since I don't meet the pre-reqs; lol...It's okay, I'll focus on the interviews I have received so far and not obsess over the secondary :)

I got an e-mail from them that doesn't address/answer my question at all; instead the e-mail just said my application has been sent to "pre-screen" committee since I don't meet the pre-reqs; lol...It's okay, I'll focus on the interviews I have received so far and not obsess over the secondary :)

Unfortunately none of us can help clarify. It very well could be an error but being sent to the pre-screen committee indicates there definitely is something you below their typical requirements/standards... the good news is, if they sent it on they must have some good interest in you. Hope it all sorts out in your favor

Anybody recommend apartments to live in? Also anyone know of pet friendly apartments in the area?

got an interview invite! 11/12

For those who have already interviewed can you give examples of the type of questions asked, please? Maybe if you can share questions you wish you had better prepared for...questions we should definitely expect. Also, is the interview done more in a conversational style or asking questions from aacomas app? Also, how many interviews will there be (I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet, which might answer this question)?

Thanks

got an interview invite! 11/12

For those who have already interviewed can you give examples of the type of questions asked, please? Maybe if you can share questions you wish you had better prepared for...questions we should definitely expect. Also, is the interview done more in a conversational style or asking questions from aacomas app? Also, how many interviews will there be (I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet, which might answer this question)?

Thanks

Congrats. I will try to breifly answer your questions, if you want more detail about something let me know.

The interview was extremely conversational and laid back. Everyone I met seemed very excited to have us and passionate about the school. We had 3 thirty minute interviews that were all one on one. All of them started out with "tell me a little bit about yourself" and then the interview pretty much just went on as a conversation.

Some specific questions that were asked were....
Why DO?
Why Campbell?
How do I feel about being part of an inaugural class?
What characteristics do you have that will contribute to your success in medical school?
Give me an example of a time when you went against your own ethics. (this one kinda threw me through a loop lol but the interviewer was cool about it)
Where do you see yourself if 10 years?
What type of doctor do you see youself being?

Congrats. I will try to breifly answer your questions, if you want more detail about something let me know.

The interview was extremely conversational and laid back. Everyone I met seemed very excited to have us and passionate about the school. We had 3 thirty minute interviews that were all one on one. All of them started out with "tell me a little bit about yourself" and then the interview pretty much just went on as a conversation.

Why DO?
Why Campbell?
What characteristics do you have that will contribute to your success in medical school?
Give me an example of a time when you went against your own ethics. (this one kinda threw me through a loop lol but the interviewer was cool about it)

I also had the following question that tripped me up for a minute:

If you get accepted to multiple schools, how will you decide which one to attend?

Why DO?
Why Campbell?

Thank you!! that was very helpful.

It sounds like everyone that has interviewed at CUSOM has loved it!!
I just received my interview invite yesterday! I will be interviewing the last week in november anyone else interviewing then?
Hotel suggestions?
I'm very excited for this interview it was very unexpected!
Anyone that has already interviewed and wants to send me a pm and go through the day and kind of point out some key features about the interview or some tips that would be great!
Congrats to everyone that got interviews and accepted!

If you guys remember could you take some pictures of the school when you're there? I know myself and others in the Facebook page would love to see the some updated pictures of the building :)

Secondary is now ready for review. How long did it take to get an II and your stats please. I am 3.2gpa / 25 mcat but 4.0 graduate program. Thank you

It sounds like everyone that has interviewed at CUSOM has loved it!!
I just received my interview invite yesterday! I will be interviewing the last week in november anyone else interviewing then?
Hotel suggestions?
I'm very excited for this interview it was very unexpected!
Anyone that has already interviewed and wants to send me a pm and go through the day and kind of point out some key features about the interview or some tips that would be great!
Congrats to everyone that got interviews and accepted!

I can't speak for the different hotels but I know quite a few interviewees (myself included) have stayed at Microtel in Lillington. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done and is close to the school... only like 5 minutes straight down the road, so for convenience sake it's a winner. We are in rural NC so take everything in perspective :)
As for the interview, just relax and enjoy the day. Do your research on the school website, listen and observe the day, and ask questions. If you feel like a "fit" show them your enthusiasm. CUSOM seems to want to want team players due to being a real family feel place and that their curriculum has quite a bit of cooperative learning planned. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, good luck, the faculty and staff are great and have impressive credentials. Probably better than most established DO schools... just sayin

Secondary is now ready for review. How long did it take to get an II and your stats please. I am 3.2gpa / 25 mcat but 4.0 graduate program. Thank you

The timeline is truly subjective. It's getting into the depths of the interview season so things may take more time than they have in the past, or with CUSOM getting their process established, may become more efficient... no one knows. I know that isn't terribly
helpful but it could be a while or only a few days (if they really like you). Only advice is, if you have questions or concerns don't hesitate to call or email them. They are prompt and friendly... true southern hospitality;)

I also had the following question that tripped me up for a minute:

If you get accepted to multiple schools, how will you decide which one to attend?

Why DO?
Why Campbell?

A question that almost got me was...

What's the one thing you would change about Healthcare and how would you go about doing it?

My file was completed here today!!! I had an opportunity to go down to the school and meet with the admission staff months ago and I hope to do it again here soon! I cant wait to see this brand new program graduate some service oriented doctors in North Carolina!

My file was completed here today!!! I had an opportunity to go down to the school and meet with the admission staff months ago and I hope to do it again here soon! I cant wait to see this brand new program graduate some service oriented doctors in North Carolina!

Ditto! It took 7 weeks for my file to be complete...hopefully we hear more good news soon!

Fingers crossed for you. It's a good word, it seems CUSOM is attracting just that and I hope our class sets a legacy of service to the community and state especially!

My file was marked ready for final review today as well! Really hoping for an interview invite, though if I get one I'm not sure how I will pay for it.

I received the email below from CUSOM. Is this an email that everyone receives? What is their screening criteria?

"Thank you for submitting an initial application through ACCOMAS. This application has been received by Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding the status of your application at that time."

I received the email below from CUSOM. Is this an email that everyone receives? What is their screening criteria?

"Thank you for submitting an initial application through ACCOMAS. This application has been received by Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you regarding the status of your application at that time."
Pretty sure they send that out to everyone. I got the same email and then 4 days later got the secondary. Don't fret!

I got this same email, then got a secondary about a week or two later. No worries :)

For those of you that have been accepted, have any of you received notice that you are being considered for a scholarship? And if so, did they tell you which scholarship level it was ($10k/year vs $20K/ year)?

For those of you that have been accepted, have any of you received notice that you are being considered for a scholarship? And if so, did they tell you which scholarship level it was ($10k/year vs $20K/ year)?
I got an email a couple weeks ago asking me to write an essay for the Dean's scholarship. 10,000/ year

I got an email a couple weeks ago asking me to write an essay for the Dean's scholarship. 10,000/ year

Same here. Has anybody heard anything back after submitting the essay?

What is the prompt for the Dean's scholarship?

In order to be considered as a candidate for this scholarship, the committee requires an essay, of no more than 500 words, explaining why you would be an excellent candidate for this merit scholarship, how you will contribute to improving health care in North Carolina, and what you will contribute to Campbell University.

Did people hear back regarding scholarships after they submitted their deposit or before?