Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think a lot of schools are faith affiliated, which is fine as long as they don't require me to attend mass or church or have to sign a contract demanding I live a required life style or etc. What's important is that the school provides you many opportunities to do research, get double degrees, and get into whatever residency you want.

I believe Campbell students are required to do a prayer everyday in the morning before class start. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying. 3.74c 3.76s 25Q. I'm a Michigan resident so I'm hoping the regional bias won't be a determining factor. I'm also hoping since they're a brand new school they'll be more lenient about my lower MCAT score.

just curious but why campbell? with that gpa/mcat combo you're a shoo in for many DO schools, and if you retook the mcat you could do MD.

Yea, I saw this university and was considering applying this coming cycle, but I can't seem to find any information about the school's tuition, expected class size, or how the LOR breakdown should be.

Does anyone know where this information is located on Campbell's site? I didn't even see a dedicated site for CUCOM yet, unless I'm completely overlooking something obvious.

I'll be submitting soon with a 3.9, 26T -- hoping for the best & wishing that it doesn't drag on for months.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying broadly and wanted to include this school. I am OOS (boo bias). I understand it is a Catholic school, but do you think this would come out as an issue during interview? My curiosity stems from being of a different religion. I am not practicing though so it would not make a difference to me.

the Dean of CUSOM was Vice Dean of Postgrad Affairs at VCOM before he started at Campbell. From what I can tell, he's largely basing his expectations concerning quality of applicants on his experiences there. In fact, it seems like they are using VCOM as a model for many aspects of Campbell's new DO program, including the 3.2 cgpa minimum. Similarly, VCOM's website states:

"To be considered a competitive applicant to VCOM, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.0 scale. The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is 3.00 in the last 120 hours; however, students with a GPA less than 3.2 are rarely accepted. The admissions process is competitive, and a higher grade point average (above 3.4) results in improved chances for acceptance. VCOM places emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants. VCOM also places emphasis on the applicant's interview."

Also, I think one poster could have possibly underestimated CUSOM's regional bias. As for his assumption that DO schools with regional bias only accept 50-70% from their region, VCOM's class of 2015 accepted 86% of their class from what they consider Appalachian states (mostly Virginia and NC). I think it's likely that Campbell will show similar intensity in their bias towards southeastern states, and they have directly said that NC applicants will get additional consideration. This is because one of their main goals is to increase the number of primary care physicians in NC, and statistically people that already live in the area are more likely to stick around after graduation.

It may be too soon to tell, but the people at CUSOM don't seem to expect less from their first class than any other. The Dean has mentioned that students should have around a 3.5 gpa to be competitive, similar to VCOM. But it seems like less of an emphasis is being placed on MCAT scores, with a 24 being a competitive MCAT score according to their website.

I would venture to guess that the averages for the first class will be around 3.4cgpa and 24/25 MCAT. Just my personal opinion though.

Last edited:
You might not be able to find the website because it's CU-SOM instead of COM. Probably nothing you can't find with a quick google search, but here's the website:

http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/

It isn't a Catholic school like someone mentioned..it's Christian, and Baptist specifically. But I don't think that will really affect your medical education.

For LOR's, if I remember correctly, you just need one from a science professor OR a pre-health committee, and one from a DO. Class size is 150. Tuition and additional info can be found on their website.

And this is just my opinion that I posted on another thread in response to gpa and regional bias speculations..

the Dean of CUSOM was Vice Dean of Postgrad Affairs at VCOM before he started at Campbell. From what I can tell, he's largely basing his expectations concerning quality of applicants on his experiences there. In fact, it seems like they are using VCOM as a model for many aspects of Campbell's new DO program, including implementing a 3.2 cgpa minimum for acceptance.

Also, I think one poster could have possibly underestimated CUSOM's regional bias. As for his assumption that DO schools with regional bias only accept 50-70% from their region, VCOM's class of 2015 accepted 86% of their class from what they consider Appalachian states (mostly Virginia and NC). I think it's likely that Campbell will show similar bias towards southeastern states, and they have directly said that NC applicants will get additional consideration. This is because one of their main goals is to increase the number of primary care physicians in NC, and statistically students that already live in the area are more likely to stick around after graduation.

It may be too soon to tell, but the people at CUSOM have high expectations for their first class. The Dean has said before that students should have around a 3.5 gpa to be competitive, similarly to VCOM. But it seems like slightly less emphasis is being placed on MCAT scores with a score of 24 being considered competitive according to their website. I would venture to guess that the averages for the first class will be around 3.4cgpa and 24/25 MCAT. Just my personal opinion though.

But if you have questions, you can always just email admissions. My interactions with CUSOM faculty have been very pleasant and they seem more than happy to help.

I know I'll be applying there. I personally love the "family atmosphere" at Campbell, and I think the school is very capable of putting together an excellent DO program. The faculty really cares about students, and they'll do everything they can to see that they succeed.

Last edited:
I believe Campbell students are required to do a prayer everyday in the morning before class start. ;)

Like Campbell, WCU is a Baptist University with demands on their undergraduates. None of the undergraduate requirements are observed at the COM. Now I am not sure sure if this is for legal or practical reasons.

I would be amazed if this happens at Campbell.

Like Campbell, WCU is a Baptist University with demands on their undergraduates. None of the undergraduate requirements are observed at the COM. Now I am not sure sure if this is for legal or practical reasons.

I would be amazed if this happens at Campbell.

It's always led by students and not faculty, not everyone have to participate though.

Did you know that you're required to take a religion class (Christianity-based) for one of the pre-reqs for their pharmacy school? ;)

I would not be surprised if an overwhelming majority of the people they accept is the southeastern area with a decent amount from NC. Though 3.5 average gpa their first year seems like a stretch.

You think so? I figured my MCAT score was going to be the primary reason for rejections. But I wanted to apply to Campbell because of what seems like a small town feel. (I'm an undergrad student at Michigan State...about 48k students...something small would be nice.) The brand new facilities and being part of an inaugural class intrigued me as well.

lol no, you're only around 1 poiunt under the average mcat wise and your gpa is a lot higher than average. you're golden for most mid tier DO schools probably.

and ETSU is applying with a 3.9 26? Holy snap, lol. you guys are making me scared to apply here.

I would not be surprised if an overwhelming majority of the people they accept is the southeastern area with a decent amount from NC. Though 3.5 average gpa their first year seems like a stretch.

My GPA is no where close to that. I'll have 3.38 cGPA by the time I apply...and that's based on 266 credit hours...

It's always led by students and not faculty, not everyone have to participate though.

Did you know that you're required to take a religion class (Christianity-based) for one of the pre-reqs for their pharmacy school? ;)

And what do they teach you in this course?

QUOTE=ECU Pirate;12622190]My GPA is no where close to that. I'll have 3.38 cGPA by the time I apply...and that's based on 266 credit hours...[/QUOTE]

I'm not too doubtful that the gpa could reach a 3.5, however it will likely be like at VCOM, where while the gpa is high the Mcat is very low.

Thanks for the clarification

Members don't see this ad :)
im applying to it with around a 3.26 cum and 3.28 science for what it's worth and i'm a Florida resident.

Yeah I was also interested in this school considering that I'm an NC resident and my GPA/sGPA is not strongly competitive for many allopathic schools (despite having strong ECs). In regard to a previous post on this thread I'm also wondering what their LOR requirement is. Anyone have an idea?

This is the link to all of the admissions info I could find:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...RijNrG&sig=AHIEtbT6PhhKKT1XFcc4RpIrNdoQwYfbdg

One letter from a physician that you've shadowed, preferably a DO, and one LOR from either a science professor or a pre-health committee.

Got that from their website. It seems a little disorganized, and some admissions info is a little hard to find

i called today and spoke w/ the dean of admissions

competitive MCAT is 24
GPA's btwn 3.0-3.2

i forgot to ask about the region bias though.. :rolleyes:

Campbell requires all of their undergraduate students to be enrolled in a class called "CU Worship" each semester. It's only half a credit hour though. I'm not sure about graduate students.

Campbell's a nice school, but it often gets overlooked by the surrounding area (Research Triangle) with Duke, UNC and NCSU.

Campbell requires all of their undergraduate students to be enrolled in a class called "CU Worship" each semester. It's only half a credit hour though. I'm not sure about graduate students.

Campbell's a nice school, but it often gets overlooked by the surrounding area (Research Triangle) with Duke, UNC and NCSU.

Yep, for Freshman it's every Monday and for Sophomores it's every Wednesday. I'm attending there for undergrad starting this fall for Biochemistry. They also require an alternate religion class as well, which are mostly comprised of book-specific Bible classes.

The location is remote, and the medical school is about a half a mile outside of the main campus. Fortunately, Highway 55 is pretty close to the main campus, which is where most of the housing is(which, if you are 21 or younger and unmarried, you need special permission to live off campus, but this usually only applies to undergrad students), if you wanted to go to the city it could be done, as long as you're willing to drive for a little bit.

If you have any questions about location, or anything else, I'd be more than willing to help.

Yep, for Freshman it's every Monday and for Sophomores it's every Wednesday. I'm attending there for undergrad starting this fall for Biochemistry. They also require an alternate religion class as well, which are mostly comprised of book-specific Bible classes.

The location is remote, and the medical school is about a half a mile outside of the main campus. Fortunately, Highway 55 is pretty close to the main campus, which is where most of the housing is(which, if you are 21 or younger and unmarried, you need special permission to live off campus, but this usually only applies to undergrad students), if you wanted to go to the city it could be done, as long as you're willing to drive for a little bit.

If you have any questions about location, or anything else, I'd be more than willing to help.

I've always found fault with schools that restrict a person's right to choose off campus housing as an option.

I've always found fault with schools that restrict a person's right to choose off campus housing as an option.

My parents live nearby, and I hear that it's practically a given waiver if you're going to live with your parents. At least for the first semester, I don't want to find out that housing sucks and be trapped there.

My parents live nearby, and I hear that it's practically a given waiver if you're going to live with your parents. At least for the first semester, I don't want to find out that housing sucks and be trapped there.

Many schools don't allow their freshman to live off campus. Which I find also rather asinine.

omg you're so young

Many schools don't allow their freshman to live off campus. Which I find also rather asinine.

I have to agree with you on that one. As if starting college isn't stressful enough! I wonder why they do that. It's ludicrous, considering that you pay 13,000 per semester to attend. Fortunately, I got a scholarship that halves that, but it's still a stupid rule.

Also interesting concerning their connections with VCOM is that the CUSOM director of admissions previously held that position at VCOM-CC. She is the nicest lady on the planet and a truly special person who puts you at ease the very moment you meet her. I'm extremely jealous that she left my school to go to Campbell.

You're gonna miss out a lot for attending CU for your undergrad, it's never too late to transfer to ECU :rolleyes:

It depends on how CU treats me. If I hate it, I'll transfer somewhere else. It might give my NCSU sister a heart attack because for some odd reason she dislikes ECU with almost the same intensity as UNC and Duke. xD

It depends on how CU treats me. If I hate it, I'll transfer somewhere else. It might give my NCSU sister a heart attack because for some odd reason she dislikes ECU with almost the same intensity as UNC and Duke. xD

What? Everyone loves ECU, she must had a bad experience with people from here ;)

we have a MD school and a dental school here and we're not stuck-up like UNC, Duke, or NCSU. :zip:

What? Everyone loves ECU, she must had a bad experience with people from here ;)

we have a MD school and a dental school here and we're not stuck-up like UNC, Duke, or NCSU. :zip:

The Brody School of Medicine is certainly nothing to sneeze at. I will consider it, I took Campbell on their offer because they made it cheaper than State with the scholarship I got.

Edit: I love that dancing monkey. XD

The Brody School of Medicine is certainly nothing to sneeze at. I will consider it, I took Campbell on their offer because they made it cheaper than State with the scholarship I got.

Edit: I love that dancing monkey. XD

I know couple of people went to Campbell and they thought it was alright. I guess it's a good place for professional schools but not undergraduate.

We have a lot of dancing monkeys at ECU :welcome:

I know couple of people went to Campbell and they thought it was alright. I guess it's a good place for professional schools but not undergraduate.

We have a lot of dancing monkeys at ECU :welcome:

Will they still be there a year or two later? I'm cautiously optimistic because I think they made my major Biology with Teacher Licensure and I've been trying to fix it. :eyebrow:

Will they still be there a year or two later? I'm cautiously optimistic because I think they made my major Biology with Teacher Licensure and I've been trying to fix it. :eyebrow:

Campbell? No they have graduated for good. Campbell isn't a bad school but the location is just bad, they have a Walmart and 2-3 restaurants and that's about it. ;)

Campbell? No they have graduated for good. Campbell isn't a bad school but the location is just bad, they have a Walmart and 2-3 restaurants and that's about it. ;)

Commuting ftw. I'm presuming by your screen name that you're happily in ECU. I hear that ECU is mainly a party school, which would be a shell-shock from CU. XD

Commuting ftw. I'm presuming by your screen name that you're happily in ECU. I hear that ECU is mainly a party school, which would be a shell-shock from CU. XD

ECU is not only a party school, we also have a top-ranked MBA program, as well as nursing school..med school..dental school..PA program...football...downtown...attractive people...:whistle:

ECU is not only a party school, we also have a top-ranked MBA program, as well as nursing school..med school..dental school..PA program...football...downtown...attractive people...:whistle:

There's quite a few people coming from my high school to ECU. Have fun with them! One of them told me in all seriousness that she wasn't going to play softball in college because they'd make her play 9 days a week. :laugh:

I may transfer there, it would depend on how freshman year goes. If it's good, good. If it's not, I don't have to sit there and put up with it. Their graduation rate is abyssmal, 42%, and their transfer rate is 48%, with a scary 72% retention rate. Found that out after I submitted my FASFA. x/

There's quite a few people coming from my high school to ECU. Have fun with them! One of them told me in all seriousness that she wasn't going to play softball in college because they'd make her play 9 days a week. :laugh:

I may transfer there, it would depend on how freshman year goes. If it's good, good. If it's not, I don't have to sit there and put up with it. Their graduation rate is abyssmal, 42%, and their transfer rate is 48%, with a scary 72% retention rate. Found that out after I submitted my FASFA. x/

You'll love it here, I know some people transferred out CU after their first year. I didn't know their graduation rate is that low. I'm surprised to see that only 16 percent of admitted students actually enrolled :eek:

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=Campbell&s=NC+SC&ic=1&id=198136

got a cousin that teaches at ecu. nice place but the football isnt something to write home about lol

the med school at cu WILL NOT have an high gpa for the first few yrs at least. this will be a backup school for most applicants, as the newer schools tend to be, and that "we wont take below a 3.2" garbage wont last. of course this could change in the next decade or so as they build a reputation but i would consider it a last resort. personally, ive lived in the south for 23 yrs and ive never heard of CU and i live in the region. i would be willing to say that their class will be in constant flux as the better kids jump ship for greener pastures. in order to fill the class and get their $$$$, the school will admit bad applicants that haven't gotten a sniff elsewhere. you could have some stellar students (3.5+,30+), but they will be heavily outnumbered by the lesser ones(3.2,24).

You'll love it here, I know some people transferred out CU after their first year. I didn't know their graduation rate is that low. I'm surprised to see that only 16 percent of admitted students actually enrolled :eek:

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=Campbell&s=NC+SC&ic=1&id=198136

Darn it, I might have been able to get that cheaper too because I didn't slack in high school(3.93 weighted, 3.41 unweighted, and an 1840 on the SAT).

That's 15k for the year, isn't it? I may consider a switch, especially if they can't fix my major.

Darn it, I might have been able to get that cheaper too because I didn't slack in high school(3.93 weighted, 3.41 unweighted, and an 1840 on the SAT).

That's 15k for the year, isn't it? I may consider a switch, especially if they can't fix my major.

If you're gonna to major in biology then you should definitely consider ECU. yes, come to the dark side....we have cookies :thumbup:

If you're gonna to major in biology then you should definitely consider ECU. yes, come to the dark side....we have cookies :thumbup:

I'm supposed to be a biochemistry major. They messed that one up. I'll definitely consider.

So, do you have a particular field of medicine that you're interested in? I'm considering either Radiology or Pediatrics(borderline polar opposites, I know).

I think a lot of schools are faith affiliated, which is fine as long as they don't require me to attend mass or church or have to sign a contract demanding I live a required life style or etc. What's important is that the school provides you many opportunities to do research, get double degrees, and get into whatever residency you want.

Why would it matter if they did? Maybe it would not be your choice of school but many students will look for something like this. Loma Linda has no problem filling its class every year. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm supposed to be a biochemistry major. They messed that one up. I'll definitely consider.

So, do you have a particular field of medicine that you're interested in? I'm considering either Radiology or Pediatrics(borderline polar opposites, I know).

Biochemistry is a good major. As for right now I'm interested in internal medicine or family medicine. I don't think I could handle Pediatrics but I do want to have 3-4 children in the future ;)

got a cousin that teaches at ecu. nice place but the football isnt something to write home about lol.

Our football sucked this season, I stopped going to any of the games after the first 3 games I think. Have you decided where you are going this fall yet?

Biochemistry is a good major. As for right now I'm interested in internal medicine or family medicine. I don't think I could handle Pediatrics but I do want to have 3-4 children in the future ;)

I'm the youngest of 3, 3 is a good number. I worry that if I do become a physician, I won't be able to have that kind of lifestyle that would be condusive to raising children. It would be hard to see sick kids, but helping them is the best thing you can do for th