Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here...wait listed club too.

Waitlisted too!

There is still hope yet! I know they have accepted quite a few people off the wait list. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wait listed here too! Hopefully there will be a lot of movement on the list :)

During my interview, Joy had stated if you made the waitlist and were not selected for a spot you would be offered a spot for the next class. She said the waitlist at Campbell was different from other schools as they didn't put every interviewee on it. Any other interview groups hear this?

Wait listed here too! Hopefully there will be a lot of movement on the list :)

During my interview, Joy had stated if you made the waitlist and were not selected for a spot you would be offered a spot for the next class. She said the waitlist at Campbell was different from other schools as they didn't put every interviewee on it. Any other interview groups hear this?

At my interview she mentioned if you made the high waitlist there would be a guaranteed spot for next year. But she also said they were still determining the exact requirements for that wait list. So for now I do not think we will know if we made it to the top of the list. The second email I got from them today sounded as though they would rank is after they finish all the interviews, not to say we won't get pulled off the wait list sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good news, I just wonder what the cutoff might be. An email was sent out to me yesterday, and I assume to the rest of you, but just in case, they WILL announce your rank (I was told back when I interviewed they just wouldn't), but not until after mid-April.

I really wish this school would stop sending me spam regarding their other programs. No other school does anything like this.

I really wish this school would stop sending me spam regarding their other programs. No other school does anything like this.

I receive info about their other programs but that is only because I had asked for information about the school back in the fall. Have you tried the unsubscribe?

I'm withdrawing my acceptance from Campbell today, I hope an SDNer gets the spot!

did anyone get the waitlist emails today who were waiting for them? Heard anything new about the waitlist?

Can anyone tell me what my chances are at CUSOM?

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

applying early this coming cycle

Overall you probably have a fair shot. I think the main concern will be your VR score. Your essays will be important and make sure you apply early. I would also call the admissions office, they are very friendly and helpful. I would just ask them if they have any automatic cutoffs for MCAT sections.

Apply early... If they are not sure they will tell you to send them additional grades.

Last edited:

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

Lots of volunteering, EMT, shadowing, tennis coach, some clubs, research, DO letter

I think you will have a chance if you apply early. The GPA is good enough, and the MCAT is fine for the newer schools. The 7 shouldn't be a issue for the newer schools because I received interviews to them all with a 7 in PS late in this cycle (applied in December). Your ECs sound good as well, but just be sure that you can effectively articulate how these experiences helped shape you as a person and what you learned from them. If you write great secondary essays and nail the interview you should get in somewhere. I would recommend applying broadly to all the schools in which your stats are competitive to give you the best chance. I wish you the best of luck! We have similar stats, so I am rooting for you man!

Members don't see this ad :)

Illinois resident

3.7 cGPA, 3.5-3.6 sGPA
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)

If you fit with CUSOM's mission and values you should have a good shot. The one factor that will be a major unknown is how competitive applications get next year... apply early, write secondaries smartly and you should be set.

I was accepted with a 7 in verbal, I would count this school as one of your "competitive" schools.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

You have better stats than me, I'm a NY resident and will be attending CUSOM this coming fall, so as long as you interview well and take the right steps I'd say you have a very legitimate shot.

You have better stats than me, I'm a NY resident and will be attending CUSOM this coming fall, so as long as you interview well and take the right steps I'd say you have a very legitimate shot.

hey fellow new yorker :laugh: what made you choose CUSOM over other schools like NYCOM or Touro?

hey fellow new yorker :laugh: what made you choose CUSOM over other schools like NYCOM or Touro?

A number of factors, but basically I loved it when I went down to interview, and didn't get the same vibe from any other school.

Has anyone talked to the school lately and gotten any information on wait list movement or how many spots are filled or how many people are on the wait list?

Has anyone talked to the school lately and gotten any information on wait list movement or how many spots are filled or how many people are on the wait list?

Once they finish all their interviews they are supposed to have a committee meeting and then let us know our standing.

Hey yall, I went to accepted students day and just wanted to give you the stats:
3800 applications
472 interviewed
162 accepted
98 wait-listed.

Hope this answers some questions

Hey yall, I went to accepted students day and just wanted to give you the stats:
3800 applications
472 interviewed
162 accepted
98 wait-listed.

Thank you!

As this application cycle comes to an end, it looks like cusom is the best! as long as there are no last minute application screw balls, I will be joining you all in the fall!

Sent by phone

3800 applications
472 interviewed
162 accepted
98 wait-listed.

How many people went to accepted students day?
Are they done interviewing now?

FutureDO22 was right in his estimation of about 100 at the Accepted Students Day, but they made no comment throughout the day about how many on the wait-list would automatically be selected. The big discussion for today was the curriculum.

3800 applications
472 interviewed
162 accepted
98 wait-listed.

Weird..How many total seats is the 2013 class? Why would they have such a large waitlist?

Weird..How many total seats is the 2013 class? Why would they have such a large waitlist?

150, though under accreditation regulations they can go up to 162, probably to account for losing some over time. I think most schools have a pretty large waitlist to ensure they fill their class, it's just most don't publicize these facts

It's not uncommon for schools to have a waitlist above 100. I believe Stanford Med last year had a wait-list of 200? Also, there have been times when up to half the waitlist of a school was granted an acceptance, there are many variables that it depends on.

I am interested in applying to Campbell in the future. I have only taken a few of my prereqs and will have to take the remaining after I graduate with my bachelor degree.
I am trying to find out if Campbell has accepted people with community college prereqs. The cheapest university will not be very cheap for me, so I am probably going to rely on a community college for the remaining prereqs.

I am interested in applying to Campbell in the future. I have only taken a few of my prereqs and will have to take the remaining after I graduate with my bachelor degree.
I am trying to find out if Campbell has accepted people with community college prereqs. The cheapest university will not be very cheap for me, so I am probably going to rely on a community college for the remaining prereqs.

Don't be afraid to call/email ask Joy this question. CUSOM admissions is about as transparent as they come. I don't get the impression it would be that big of a deal but better to know from the source then from one of their students opinions

I am on the waitlist and they did not mind that I have prereqs at a community college. However, I have upper level biology at the university, not sure if that makes any difference.

I've never posted before, and I am not quite sure that I am doing this right... BUT

I am on the waitlist, interviewed early March, and was wondering if any other waitlisters have heard from admissions at all yet? I am so anxious to hear, and REALLY, REALLY, want to attend CUSOM in the Fall, and still feel hopeful about getting off the waitlist, but was hoping I could maybe get an update from others in my same position (which, BTW, sucks).

Thanks!

I thought we would have heard about our status by now. The last email I received said that they would tell us our status after the last meeting but I thought that would have occurred by now.

Same here, I keep waiting to hear and I actually emailed about it and another topic, but no answer except that it was forwarded to Mrs. Henderson.

I emailed them a couple times and I haven't really heard back, they said late April or Early May, which I would think means the first 2 weeks?

This process from day one is all about learning to hurry up and wait. I'm sure a big reason for the delay is that they want to know what extent of movement will occur with MD-deadlines and as DO applicants holding multiple seats make a final decision before they decide where you stand.
Good luck to you still waiting to hear how things end up. If CUSOM is where you want to be I hope to see you all in July!

CUSOM just sent me an email about my place on the waitlist today, figured this board would be humming already, has anyone asked Joy about the size of the top tier, middle tier, and lower tier? I have a permanent job offer for the next year and they are lenient as to when I'll accept the job, but they want to be certain that I'll be around for a year, so I'm weighing my chances of acceptance...middle tier.

I was told my joy today i was in the top tier on the waitlist. But she would not tell me if i was in the bottom/top part of the tier. and she also would not tell me how many were in each tier. Frustrating.

Well good luck to both of you. I reluctantly withdrew from the waitlist today. I already have an acceptance so I would rather take what I have than continue in uncertainty.