Campbell University (CUSOM) DIscussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, okay. I was thinking that it might be more competitive for out-of-state applicants since they have claimed to have preference for NC and southeastern state applicants.

What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, congrats and good luck!

I'm an out-of-state res also. From NJ and got a secondary.

Stats are mediocre. 26Q (10B, 8V, 8P), 3.36sci/3.5cum, DO LOR/1500 hours EMT/300 hours research.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are mediocre. 26Q (10B, 8V, 8P), 3.36sci/3.5cum, DO LOR/1500 hours EMT/300 hours research.

I would think your stats would be pretty competitive at campbell, and most DO schools. But congrats!

I have a 3.4cgpa and ~3.2sgpa, but I don't have a 3.2 in my pre-req classes. Instead of retaking a few C's I got them, I decided to take upper level science classes to raise my sgpa. So I'm hoping there isn't a minimum gpa for just the pre-reqs :(

Anyone else know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone could share what topics are in secondary? Thank you

anyone could share what topics are in secondary? Thank you

The prompts are:

.What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?.

.Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?.

.There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face. .

.In the event you submitted an application to another medical school last year, what improvements have you made to your application?.

.Each question is limited to half a page. Hope this helps :)

I would think your stats would be pretty competitive at campbell, and most DO schools. But congrats!

I have a 3.4cgpa and ~3.2sgpa, but I don't have a 3.2 in my pre-req classes. Instead of retaking a few C's I got them, I decided to take upper level science classes to raise my sgpa. So I'm hoping there isn't a minimum gpa for just the pre-reqs :(

Anyone else know anything about this?

If there is a min pre-req GPA then I got the supplemental by mistake haha. My pre-req GPA was around a 3.0 I believe. I think they look at your science gpa.

"We would like to inform you that your file is now complete and ready for final review with the Admissions Committee. Once the committee has reviewed all your additional information we will follow up with you regarding your status"

two down...5 more to go.

Are they only looking at GPA for screening purposes? Or is there MCAT screen too?

The prompts are:

.What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school?.

.Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?.

.There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face. .

.In the event you submitted an application to another medical school last year, what improvements have you made to your application?.

.Each question is limited to half a page. Hope this helps :).

All of the prompts on mine are the same except for the healthcare questions, which reads:

There are many challenges facing healthcare in America today. Describe how you believe the Accountable CareAct will impact healthcare in the United States over the next five years.

I must say I find your prompt easier to answer than this one.
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]..
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]..[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]..

All of the prompts on mine are the same except for the healthcare questions, which reads:

There are many challenges facing healthcare in America today. Describe how you believe the Accountable CareAct will impact healthcare in the United States over the next five years.

I must say I find your prompt easier to answer than this one.

Haha! when did you get your secondary? I think I got mine the day after the Act was upheld by the Supreme Court. They must've changed it a few days after that. Guess I lucked out :) But I my response was pretty much about the Affordable Care Act anyway.

Haha! when did you get your secondary? I think I got mine the day after the Act was upheld by the Supreme Court. They must've changed it a few days after that. Guess I lucked out :) But I my response was pretty much about the Affordable Care Act anyway.

Ya I figure either way you would need to at least mention the ACA...but damn haha.

I received the email saying they received my primary on 7/2 and received the secondary invite 7/3.

My whole secondary is finished except for that essay... which I find myself sitting here and staring at semi regularly.

Ya I figure either way you would need to at least mention the ACA...but damn haha.

I received the email saying they received my primary on 7/2 and received the secondary invite 7/3.

My whole secondary is finished except for that essay... which I find myself sitting here and staring at semi regularly.

Ha yeah it was a long secondary. A lot of "rural" questions too. Is that the only question you have left to answer? or do you still need to do all the other prompts?

Ha yeah it was a long secondary. A lot of "rural" questions too. Is that the only question you have left to answer? or do you still need to do all the other prompts?

Ya, it is pretty long. The rest of my app is complete, only have that one prompt left. There are really only 3 prompts if this is your first cycle applying since one of them asks about improvements since your last attempt.

I'm wondering how they are going to use/evaluate that rual information, like the community size preference and ranking preference of specialties. I'm curious if it would hurt you to rank general surgery #1 vs ranking IM or FM #1. On the same note could it hurt to put your community size pref is >100,000 vs <10,000. Be interesting to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, it is pretty long. The rest of my app is complete, only have that one prompt left. There are really only 3 prompts if this is your first cycle applying since one of them asks about improvements since your last attempt.

I'm wondering how they are going to use/evaluate that rual information, like the community size preference and ranking preference of specialties. I'm curious if it would hurt you to rank general surgery #1 vs ranking IM or FM #1. On the same note could it hurt to put your community size pref is >100,000 vs <10,000. Be interesting to see.

Yeah it's hard to tell whether that information is for statistical purposes or applicant competitiveness. Only time will tell. I was truthful and put my preference as 100.000, soooo we'll see ha.

Hey playaodamonth. My stats are close to yours. 26M (9 PS/7 VR/10 BS) 3.83 cum GPA. I hope Campbell gives us a chance; especially applying early. Campbell seems like it will be a very good osteopathic school in the near future. I talked with Joy from Campbell, and she said that the dean is working on some great rotation sites. Even some international opportunities. Plus, I think any school in NC provides a great medical education (it comes with the territory).

Hey playaodamonth. My stats are close to yours. 26M (9 PS/7 VR/10 BS) 3.83 cum GPA. I hope Campbell gives us a chance; especially applying early. Campbell seems like it will be a very good osteopathic school in the near future. I talked with Joy from Campbell, and she said that the dean is working on some great rotation sites. Even some international opportunities. Plus, I think any school in NC provides a great medical education (it comes with the territory).

Hey ResearchRetMD, haha nice. Hopefully our scores and essays get us an interview. You're definitely right about NC and medicine, they have Duke AND UNC in the state which are HUUUGE med programs. It would be cool to add Campbell in that powerhouse in the future.

Hey ResearchRetMD, haha nice. Hopefully our scores and essays get us an interview. You're definitely right about NC and medicine, they have Duke AND UNC in the state which are HUUUGE med programs. It would be cool to add Campbell in that powerhouse in the future.

Wake Forest and Brody

Secondary invite and I am having a hell of a time answering these questions.

Last edited:
was anyone able to do the PDF secodnary? i couldnt give it to save for me..

was anyone able to do the PDF secodnary? i couldnt give it to save for me..

Ha yeahh if you have Adobe Reader then you can't save anything you enter. What I did was download a free program called "PDF-XChange Viewer". The link is below. You can open up the secondary with that program and save all the info. It saves as a PDF so after you save it on the PDF-Xchanger, you can open up your saved secondary again with Adobe Reader and all your info will be in there. Good luck!

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads/

the new secondary sent was in word document format..

anyhow.. just got a response via email saying my app is complete

gluck guys :thumbup:

Why does Campbell need to know the year my DO graduated and after submitting it looks like my essays got cut off in the PDF format

Why does Campbell need to know the year my DO graduated and after submitting it looks like my essays got cut off in the PDF format

Haha, I wondered that too. Their secondary is unique.

Sent from my DROIDX using SDN Mobile

For CUSOM secondary, is the Accountable Care Act the same thing as the Affordable? I know, dumb,...

This word document secondary is annoying... nothing goes where I want it to :mad:

Haha they switched it to a word document?? Whew, I lucked out with the PDF then. It'll be worth it though when you get that acceptance letter. :thumbup:

Haha they switched it to a word document?? Whew, I lucked out with the PDF then. It'll be worth it though when you get that acceptance letter. :thumbup:

I'll be lucky if they can understand my secondary at this rate :rofl:

Don't worry half of my essay got cut off in the PDF so I filled out the word and then emailed the wrong one

Don't worry half of my essay got cut off in the PDF so I filled out the word and then emailed the wrong one

Lol..talk about a series of unfortunate events. Technically it's not your fault though, they didn't enable the "saving" option when they first created the PDF on Adobe, so it screwed everybody up. Apparently, the PDF didn't save my most updated work, so I sent my secondary with the "rough" draft essay instead the final one. The only difference in the two was just one word ("supplies is limited" rather than "supplies are limited"). Hopefully they don't notice the poor grammar.

Lol..talk about a series of unfortunate events. Technically it's not your fault though, they didn't enable the "saving" option when they first created the PDF on Adobe, so it screwed everybody up. Apparently, the PDF didn't save my most updated work, so I sent my secondary with the "rough" draft essay instead the final one. The only difference in the two was just one word ("supplies is limited" rather than "supplies are limited"). Hopefully they don't notice the poor grammar.

you could save it on acrobat, i ended up doing the free trial for acrobat and doing the PDF version. The word version was annoying

Autoreject :laugh:

Just kidding, I'm sure that they will not notice that with the amount of essay they probably have to read per day.

I was able to save the PDF but my essays looked really weird when I saved them so I don't know how they will turn out on there end

you could save it on acrobat, i ended up doing the free trial for acrobat and doing the PDF version. The word version was annoying

hmm..when did you get your secondary?? I got the first batch when the PDF couldn't save on Adobe...I have the full version too. I had to download a different PDF viewer program to save it.

first batch. you have acrobat pro? because you can use acrobat pro to save it

first batch. you have acrobat pro? because you can use acrobat pro to save it

haha yeah..it kept saying something to the effect of "document was not formatted to save, any input into fields will be lost." oh well doesn't matter now, its in the hands of CUSOM's ADCOM now.

Secondary submitted... whew :eek:

All this Adobe talk is making me sleepy :sleep: jk

Anyone have any guesses on when interview invites will go out? I'm guessing a new school would take a little longer...

My guess

first interview invite- August 7th

First interview date- August 17th

First acceptance- August 28th

I challenge that with:

Invite = Aug 21st

First Interview Date = Sept 4th

First Acceptance = Sept 14th

Ok so I got a secondary invite! Other schools only offer secondary if your stats are acceptable is cusom the same? Or is this just a tease?

only if your competitive, I got told no thanks by CUSOM but when I explained my messed up AACOMAS app they sent me a secondary right away. def worth your time. I'm finishing my secondary today. Trying to figure out a good response to "predicting the future" essay question.

only if your competitive, I got told no thanks by CUSOM but when I explained my messed up AACOMAS app they sent me a secondary right away. def worth your time. I'm finishing my secondary today. Trying to figure out a good response to "predicting the future" essay question.

Which one is that? the Obamacare essay?

"List ECs that arent on your aacoma" Did everyone leave this blank? :O. I did