Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be true, and I agree that this system seemingly works for MSUCOM, but I have to say that I've met some real weirdos/abrasive personality types at a few of my interviews. No idea if these people were accepted or not, but I am SURE the adcom was able to see their true personality in these cases - apparently they didn't even realize they needed to hide it lol.
Totally. Had some really weird ones. Just sayin haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What if... WE'RE the weird ones????
For example, someone at one of my interviews said, in front of our student leader, "all we have to do is lie. Once we get in, we can do want ever. We just have to feed them a line of bs just to get in. This whole process is stupid." Yeah I don't think that person should be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For example, someone at one of my interviews said, in front of our student leader, "all we have to do is lie. Once we get in, we can do want ever. We just have to feed them a line of bs just to get in. This whole process is stupid." Yeah I don't think that person should be a doctor.

He should have taken the money he used to buy his round-trip air ticket, hotel stay, transportation, food etc. and flushed it down the drain. Same outcome in the end.

Wow... he probably doesn't realize that the admissions committee members ask the students how they feel about the applicants.

Wow... he probably doesn't realize that the admissions committee members ask the students how they feel about the applicants.
Welp, one more spot for the rest of us.

I can tell you one thing. Having 9 weeks of classes, then a 10th week off if you pass everything... it's a great feeling.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviews are absolutely necessary for both the applicant and adcom. How else besides interviewing at the school will you know you are comfortable and a good fit there? That's pretty much impossible to do on paper I think. They need to know you have the right attitude and personality as well. A lot of things must be seen, not just written down and read. Just my opinion.

Never heard the ipad story, interesting though. Went to MD school huh?

Nervous! Just got back MCAT score of 29. 10/10/9. 3.46 cgpa 3.62 sgpa. Will I get any love this late in the cycle? It seems like those accepted have higher mcats. I'm in state. CUSOM is one of my top choices.

My MCAT was lower with similiar GPAs and I was accepted if that makes you feel better =)

Nervous! Just got back MCAT score of 29. 10/10/9. 3.46 cgpa 3.62 sgpa. Will I get any love this late in the cycle? It seems like those accepted have higher mcats. I'm in state. CUSOM is one of my top choices.

Two points lower and just got in. :)

Reactions: 2 users

Happens everywhere. It's one thing to try to be your best self, and another thing entirely to say something like that.

If the process excludes someone who's willing to talk so brashly about being duplicitous, it's not a worthless process.

Happens everywhere. It's one thing to try to be your best self, and another thing entirely to say something like that.

If the process excludes someone who's willing to talk so brashly about being duplicitous, it's not a worthless process.
Who knows if this person got in or not. I really hope not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with an II in the last two days or so get a confirmation email yet?

I interviewed on Monday and received my acceptance phone call from Joy yesterday afternoon. I absolutely LOVED my interview day and the whole school in general. Definitely going to send in my deposit. Go fighting camels! :)

Reactions: 6 users
I interviewed on Monday and received my acceptance phone call from Joy yesterday afternoon. I absolutely LOVED my interview day and the whole school in general. Definitely going to send in my deposit. Go fighting camels! :)
Congrats!! Make sure to join the facebook page- CUSOM Class of 2019!

Sent in my deposit, turned down the rest of my interviews and my other acceptance. I was overly impressed with the facilities and staff. Glad to be part of the Campbell family!

Reactions: 4 users
Sent in my deposit, turned down the rest of my interviews and my other acceptance. I was overly impressed with the facilities and staff. Glad to be part of the Campbell family!
Looks like we're gonna be classmates!

Mailed off my deposit yesterday afternoon! Now the anticipation begins!

Interviewing tomorrow. :nailbiting: Got to see some of the town today, though. :rolleyes:

Where do most students live? I've heard a lot live in Fuquay and some live right around CUSOM but I was wondering if anyone had any more specifics than that?

Well, there's a few options.

You could live in Campus Habitat, which has an arrangement with Campbell to take an overwhelming majority of students as tenants. You could choose one or two other roommates, and it's a yearly lease. The majority of the people are undergrads, but you could also set up a lease with them.
There's Meredith Square as well, but I'm less familiar with them.

Also, a lot of local residents rent out a bedroom or two for some extra cash. It's just a matter of what you're comfortable with.

You could also consider Lillington as an easier place to commute from.

I hope that helps you!

For those who were accepted, do you know when we may hear back about the scholarship opportunity? It would be nice to hear back before the November 15th deadline. :)

For those future interviewers: make sure to have multiple questions to ask. I don't know if it were just my interviews, but I felt like I was the one doing the interviewing. Overall, they were super laid-back and conversational. I had a great group (9/30) and I hope you all heard some positive news!

I received a letter from Campbell that I am a finalist for the Dean's Scholarship a couple weeks ago.

Reactions: 3 users
I received a letter from Campbell that I am a finalist for the Dean's Scholarship a couple weeks ago.
Congrats! That's awesome. What was the time frame for becoming accepted and receiving the letter about the Dean's Scholarship?

Congrats! That's awesome. What was the time frame for becoming accepted and receiving the letter about the Dean's Scholarship?
I was sent the finalist mail about 3 weeks ago, and sent the essay a few days later and received the offer a week later.

I got my letter about the scholarship invitation about a week-10 days after acceptance.

edit: basically identical timeline as @pellegr1 including about a week (maybe a bit more, I can't remember) between sending essay and receiving notice that I actually got it.

Mine is for $10k, I believe there are some for $20k though as well. I haven't decided for sure where I'll be attending!
Wow, 1/2 tuition covered would be pretty amazing! Good luck making the hard decision! I'm sure you can't go wrong attending whatever school you choose. My only concern for CUSOM was the lack of board scores. I talked to a student and he said they were taking a prep-exam sometime in January that they must pass in order to take the COMLEX-1. Hopefully we will be able to obtain the statistics on their pass rates for the prep-exam.

Wow, 1/2 tuition covered would be pretty amazing! Good luck making the hard decision! I'm sure you can't go wrong attending whatever school you choose. My only concern for CUSOM was the lack of board scores. I talked to a student and he said they were taking a prep-exam sometime in January that they must pass in order to take the COMLEX-1. Hopefully we will be able to obtain the statistics on their pass rates for the prep-exam.
I believe they are hiring kaplan to do board prep as well

I believe they are hiring kaplan to do board prep as well
Yes, that is what I heard as well. I'm sure the board prep will help tremendously. I do not know of any other schools using it, so that gives CUSOM an edge. However, it would just be nice to have some concrete stats on board scores since they are extremely important. It's impossible since they are so new, but I'm hoping they make the pre-COMLEX exam statistics available early next year since it will be a strong indicator of the COMPLEX-1. The school is great and I am not trying to criticize CUSOM, it's just any school can say they expect to score high. I have a feeling the class of 2020 will have a much easier decision to make since board scores will be available by then.

II today! I am wondering if anyone can speak of the hospital affiliations; was that one factor that was positive or negative in choosing CUSOM?

Also, just how rural is it there? hahaha

II today! I am wondering if anyone can speak of the hospital affiliations; was that one factor that was positive or negative in choosing CUSOM?

Also, just how rural is it there? hahaha
They already have spots for us all to rotate, as we haven't actually rotated yet there is no way to comment on how flawless it works.

The school is extremely rural (20 min to closest walmart) But about 45 min from raleigh

II, she sounded so lovely.

They already have spots for us all to rotate, as we haven't actually rotated yet there is no way to comment on how flawless it works.

The school is extremely rural (20 min to closest walmart) But about 45 min from raleigh

Thank you!

I really enjoy the fact that clinical rotations are set up. Also like the "big university" feel as well!

Is housing an issue because of how rural it is?

Thank you!

I really enjoy the fact that clinical rotations are set up. Also like the "big university" feel as well!

Not really there is a bunch of housing right off campus but a lot of us live in the neighboring towns...most in fuquay varina

Just got interview invite today. I was so excited when I saw the phone number and believed it was an II. I did not even hear the lady who called at first talking about the name of the school that she was calling from, and she went ahead and told me the purpose of the call regarding the interview invite on campus and the available dates for me to choose, I then asked her "which school are you calling from?" LOL the most awkward moment I've ever had. Actually, I am so surprised that I got II from CUSOM because I was screened out and not qualified for secondary application at first this cycle due to not meeting the minimum requirements.

Scheduled for 11/11 interview.

FYI: my application is complete on 09/17. So it took exactly 3 weeks for me to receive II.

Thank you CUSOM !

Just got interview invite today. I was so excited when I saw the phone number and believed it was an II. I did not even hear the lady who called at first talking about the name of the school that she was calling from, and she went ahead and told me the purpose of the call regarding the interview invite on campus and the available dates for me to choose, I then asked her "which school are you calling from?" LOL the most awkward moment I've ever had. Actually, I am so surprised that I got II from CUSOM because I was screened out and not qualified for secondary application at first this cycle due to not meeting the minimum requirements.

Scheduled for 11/11 interview.

FYI: my application is complete on 09/17. So it took exactly 3 weeks for me to receive II.

Thank you CUSOM !

Almost the same experience except I didn't ask her where she is calling from bc she said I will get a email about it. I Thought She Said Kirksville at first but I saw that it was cusom, not that I care.
I knew instantly it was a interview invite when I saw the number. Not saying I will get in but I would love to attend here.

Oh and see you at the interview. I chose the earliest date, with was the 11/11.

Thank you!

Although the school itself is in a rural area, a decent amount of people live towards Raleigh which makes life much better (for me at least). I can personally recommend Fuquay-Varina which is a 15-20 minute drive to school. Although the town is still somewhat small (~18,000) there is a pretty cool downtown with restaurants, small shops, and 2 breweries. There are the big stores (food lion, walmart, home depot, petsmart, staples etc.) and a town dogpark if you have a dog. Fuquay is also 15 miles from downtown raleigh which is a really fun city with lots to do. Before I started school I possibly could have been talked into living near school so I "would be forced to study" but I am really happy I didnt. Living in a city with things to do and close to Raleigh has only made my free time more enjoyable and has no effect on my grades. I have no idea how people can live around school (lillington, dunn, angier, coats etc) since there is literally nothing around there.

Although the school itself is in a rural area, a decent amount of people live towards Raleigh which makes life much better (for me at least). I can personally recommend Fuquay-Varina which is a 15-20 minute drive to school. Although the town is still somewhat small (~18,000) there is a pretty cool downtown with restaurants, small shops, and 2 breweries. There are the big stores (food lion, walmart, home depot, petsmart, staples etc.) and a town dogpark if you have a dog. Fuquay is also 15 miles from downtown raleigh which is a really fun city with lots to do. Before I started school I possibly could have been talked into living near school so I "would be forced to study" but I am really happy I didnt. Living in a city with things to do and close to Raleigh has only made my free time more enjoyable and has no effect on my grades. I have no idea how people can live around school (lillington, dunn, angier, coats etc) since there is literally nothing around there.
Thank you! Scheduled my II for nov 17!

For those of you interested: Was complete 9/12. II yesterday.

Got an II yesterday! 3.4/3.3/27 (7,12,8).

Really excited about this school. I like that it's rural, but close to a large city. I did a cross-country road trip a few weeks ago, stopped at VCOM-VA, LMU-DCOM, ACOM, and VCOM-Auburn just to get a feel for the areas. LMU was a bit too rural for me, so CUSOM seems like a great fit in terms of the location. Plus, I love North Carolina. Such a nice part of the country.

Does anyone have any idea if there's going to be an opportunity for research? I know that CUSOM is not focused in that area, just curious. I'm more interested in clinical research than bench research, if that matters.