Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great. Good to know.

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed here yesterday. Good place, great facilities. It was already high on my list though, so no change there.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got awarded the Dean's Scholarship today!!! :D

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
accepted! interviewed yesterday! 25 mcat 3.4 cgpa 3.47 sgpa

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah they are definitely fast with the turn around.

Accepted! Interviewed: 11/3. Secondary Submitted: 10/13, Complete email: 10/22, II: 10/23

This is my 1st acceptance so I am super excited! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. This is an amazing school that is truly committed to their student's success!

Reactions: 6 users
accepted! interviewed Monday!

Veryyyy excited as well as this is my first acceptance

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed yesterday 11/4. I really appreciate how soon they review the files after the interviews. Hurray!

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 11/3 (Monday). So stoked!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, so many acceptances today! Congratulations all.

Hope to see some if not all in the summer!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many students are eligible for Deans Scholarship? That in itself may add extra incentive towards consideration of a school I am considering should I gain acceptance!

Last edited:
I may be counting my chickens before they hatch but do we have any leverage when offered an acceptance? As far as help with the cost

Unless you invented a medication, have a 4.0/45 Mcat...prolly not.

kinda what i figured, just didn't know how flexible schools were with funding.. like if they don't offer anything, is it even worth asking if there is anything they can do to help out with price? i'm talking even like a grand or something. i'd definitely take a one time $1,000 scholarship.

My interview is 11-10! What's the interview format and what sort of questions should I expect?

kinda what i figured, just didn't know how flexible schools were with funding.. like if they don't offer anything, is it even worth asking if there is anything they can do to help out with price? i'm talking even like a grand or something. i'd definitely take a one time $1,000 scholarship.
They have scholarships for $10,000 and $15,000 I believe. They are offered to you after you're accepted and you have to write an essay and be selected.

They have scholarships for $10,000 and $15,000 I believe. They are offered to you after you're accepted and you have to write an essay and be selected.

ugh another essay lol, but so worth it :) thanks

:soexcited:Now it's a matter of working and waiting/keeping yourself busy until till we start medical school!

Anybody looking to move up an interview - just withdrew for 11/17. Good luck!!

Is anyone interviewing on 11/17 and interested in splitting a room/car? Message me! :)

ii just now!! SO excited for this school. i hear nothing but great things :D scheduled for 12/16!

Just declined my acceptance here. I hope someone deserving gets the spot! :)

How many people are awarded the Deans Scholarship? $40,000 off tuition over the 4 years of med school is a big deal, especially when factoring in accrued interest over the same period.

Can anyone recommend some cheap hotels to stay at that are a reasonable distance from the school? Please & thank you :)

Can anyone recommend some cheap hotels to stay at that are a reasonable distance from the school? Please & thank you :)

There is a Microtel 1 or 2 miles down the road from the school. Also they will give you a discount if you tell them you are interviewing at Campbell

Just interviewed. Was top on my list and is still top on my list! I had a difficult question about OMM- so know your stuff guys! Crossing my fingers for an acceptance.

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing when you were complete?

Thank you! Complete 10/29. Amazing turnaround time.

Heads up for anyone still waiting for ii's-- I believe the only available dates left are January onwards unless cancellations happen. Good luck and stay hopeful!

Can anybody speak to the pros and cons of this school? I will be interviewing 12/8 and find that the best research into a school comes from students and interviewees who have made their own appraisals already. Anybody willing to share their thoughts? The campus, the faculty, the facilities, the exams, the prospective rotation sites, etc...

Also, I honestly think the Deans Scholarship is huge! I can't really find out very much about it though. How many awarded? How is it determined who will receive it? How is it renewed? Can anybody expound?

Can anybody speak to the pros and cons of this school? I will be interviewing 12/8 and find that the best research into a school comes from students and interviewees who have made their own appraisals already. Anybody willing to share their thoughts? The campus, the faculty, the facilities, the exams, the prospective rotation sites, etc...

Also, I honestly think the Deans Scholarship is huge! I can't really find out very much about it though. How many awarded? How is it determined who will receive it? How is it renewed? Can anybody expound?
I just received the deans scholarship, so you need to maintain a 3.0 or better and be in good standing(ie act professional). Not sure how many they give out or how they determine who receives it

Pros:
Really experienced and enthusiastic faculty and staff.
Brilliant Technology
Early Clinical Experience
Small Group Learning and Lectures
Rotations in pods (around certain locations) to eliminate moving and expenses during 3/4th year.
KAPLAN board prep
Less tests, more quizzes.
Really motivated students who have started many outreach groups.
School really listens to their students and makes changes as necessary.

Cons:
Students have mentioned there is a lack of study space.
Kinks of a new school in technology and placements.
If you don't like rural, you might not like it here.
6/7 per cadaver, although this is not that bad and the students did not mention any complaints.

I am really hoping for an acceptance. If I get one, I am planning to cancel my other interviews.

I interview 11/18. My first cycle of applications and my first interview. Extremely excited and nervous. Can anyone touch on the possible surgical opportunities and things of that sort, apart from the obvious primary care, OBGYN, emergency med, etc opportunities? Although I wouldn't mind emergency med, I'm not really sold on primary care.

Pros:
Brilliant Technology
Rotations in pods (around certain locations) to eliminate moving and expenses during 3/4th year.
KAPLAN board prep

Cons:
6/7 per cadaver, although this is not that bad and the students did not mention any complaints.

I am really hoping for an acceptance. If I get one, I am planning to cancel my other interviews.

All of this, plus I need to add one con. The school is still not "established" aka hasn't graduated a class yet.

But the up side to that is that the school is doing (or seems to be doing) everything it can to make sure that it will graduate well prepared physicians. Because if the students fail, the school fails.

So I think that there is a bit extra feeling of union between teacher and students, and students with other students. At least this is the feeling I've gotten.

They have recruited faculty with some pretty stellar back grounds to ensure success.

I'm in for 2019, my deposit is paid and my countdown is going. So I'm not looking at that as a con. I know it may take a little extra work on the students part to make themselves successful.

For me I've been in love with that area for many years, felt very welcomed when I was there and just felt right in general. And I think that is the biggest part to success. Going to a school where you feel comfortable.

I interviewed a few other places, and gave up a few interviews once I got my invite too.

Pros:
Brilliant Technology
KAPLAN board prep

Cons:

2nd year here. Just to expound upon this, they have recently added a ton of study space (I believe it's 24 extra study cubicles) and the 6 to 7 per body you mentioned is divided into two different anatomy groups so there are only 3 usually at the table during one time slot. Also, there is plenty of cut work for those interested, so don't worry about that.

2nd year here. Just to expound upon this, they have recently added a ton of study space (I believe it's 24 extra study cubicles) and the 6 to 7 per body you mentioned is divided into two different anatomy groups so there are only 3 usually at the table during one time slot. Also, there is plenty of cut work for those interested, so don't worry about that.

And some of the schools don't even get real cadavers, they get a computer program...

My bad, actually now that I think about it I think it is 18 extra cubicles. Either way, it has made a big difference, and I never have trouble finding a good spot now.

I just received the deans scholarship, so you need to maintain a 3.0 or better and be in good standing(ie act professional). Not sure how many they give out or how they determine who receives it

Can you speak to the process of applying for it? Minimum MCAT or Undergraduate/Post-Bacc GPA? From what I have gathered from this site, the monetary benefit is $10,000 per year--does that sound correct?

Can you speak to the process of applying for it? Minimum MCAT or Undergraduate/Post-Bacc GPA? From what I have gathered from this site, the monetary benefit is $10,000 per year--does that sound correct?
The process is a 500 word essay, you have about 2 weeks to submit and hear back within 2-3weeks. 10k/yr x 4yrs. On the CUSOM website there is a document (pdf) that has all of the technical requirements. Sorry don't know them off the top of my head

I interview 11/18. My first cycle of applications and my first interview. Extremely excited and nervous. Can anyone touch on the possible surgical opportunities and things of that sort, apart from the obvious primary care, OBGYN, emergency med, etc opportunities? Although I wouldn't mind emergency med, I'm not really sold on primary care.

I am always curious if the admissions committees really want to hear the truth that is: "I am not sold on primary care". Lol

I am also interested to know about the clinical opportunities offered through CUSOM, with the school being rural.

One of my interviewers told me that he much preferred students who were honest about what they were interested in. He said that he knew that the area I am from (OOS) is in need of good physicians of all specialties. I felt no pressure to hide my actual interests or "say what they wanted to hear". The faculty all seem to be incredibly supportive of their students, and even of us interviewees. My interviewers talked about other schools I have interviewed at and wished me all the luck wherever I may go. To me, that is something that really stands out about CUSOM. It's great that they want us to come and be a part of their institution if it is the right fit for us, but they are also so incredibly encouraging and want us all to end up at the school where we are most comfortable and able to be the most successful. That's a genuine level of caring that many other med schools simply don't have.

One of my interviewers told me that he much preferred students who were honest about what they were interested in. He said that he knew that the area I am from (OOS) is in need of good physicians of all specialties. I felt no pressure to hide my actual interests or "say what they wanted to hear". The faculty all seem to be incredibly supportive of their students, and even of us interviewees. My interviewers talked about other schools I have interviewed at and wished me all the luck wherever I may go. To me, that is something that really stands out about CUSOM. It's great that they want us to come and be a part of their institution if it is the right fit for us, but they are also so incredibly encouraging and want us all to end up at the school where we are most comfortable and able to be the most successful. That's a genuine level of caring that many other med schools simply don't have.

Love all of this. Thanks!