Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question! I got an email saying they received my secondary today. Is that the complete email? I sent in my LORs last week! Thank you guys in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question! I got an email saying they received my secondary today. Is that the complete email? I sent in my LORs last week! Thank you guys in advance! :)

No they should send you one more saying your complete in a few days

Took a little more than 2 weeks after the secondary received email for me to get the complete email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone give me an idea of the interview questions? I know everyone said "basic questions", but a little more specificity would be greatly appreciated. :)

Can anyone give me an idea of the interview questions? I know everyone said "basic questions", but a little more specificity would be greatly appreciated. :)

I really think it depends on who is interviewing you. Mine were conversational and didn't have many or any real quesrions except the usual why Campbell, and why DO. Besides those I got "Tell me about yourself" three times. But all three interviews seemed to be looking for something different in at question. What it was I really wasn't sure till I began talking and then they steered the conversation to pick up the points they wanted. And I actually had to be "cut short" on all 3 interviews, as I had reached the 30 minute cap.

My stats are 24 mcat. 3.52 cGpa and 3.55 sGpa, and I received an interview. That being said, my essays were stellar, and although I am an OOS applicant I have strong ties to the state, including being born 10 min from campus. They were still interview dates available in December when I got the call, so Id say you have a decent shot. I am not sure how quickly they fill spots. I read about people being accepted from the wait list in June last cycle. Keep your head up :)

Just want to add something I learned in yesterday's interview. They only have 162 acceptance offers out at a time due to being provisionally accredited/new. As of yesterday they had 9 spots left to give out until November 15th, which is the cut off for those with acceptances to send in their deposit. Like others have mentioned above, not everyone is going to take their acceptance, so many more spots should open up. I am not dissuading anyone, I just was surprised to find this out and thought others might want to know. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

I just got accepted into CUSOM and I'm having trouble scraping together the $1500 deposit. Do med schools ever offer financial aid or anything like that? My acceptance letter said that they want the money in the form of a check so I can't use a credit card or anything like that. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

My stats are 24 mcat. 3.52 cGpa and 3.55 sGpa, and I received an interview. That being said, my essays were stellar, and although I am an OOS applicant I have strong ties to the state, including being born 10 min from campus. They were still interview dates available in December when I got the call, so Id say you have a decent shot. I am not sure how quickly they fill spots. I read about people being accepted from the wait list in June last cycle. Keep your head up :)
That's great, congrats on your interview invite! Thanks for your input, I'll definitely try to keep my head up. Been put on pre-interview hold at two other schools already :/

Eeek!!!! Just got an interview call! I was at work with a foul mood and picked up the phone with a grumpy "Hello?" When she said Campbell I stood up from my chair and gawked. She was very friendly, and I feel so dumb rambling about "what dates again?" So excited!!!

Now I just have to figure out how to walk from Raleigh to Lillington...

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I just got accepted into CUSOM and I'm having trouble scraping together the $1500 deposit. Do med schools ever offer financial aid or anything like that? My acceptance letter said that they want the money in the form of a check so I can't use a credit card or anything like that. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wow. That is quite a deposit.

Hey everyone,

Go to a bank and get a personal loan, if your credit is good the rate should be reasonable

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Could try asking Joy if you could do $750 then another $750 later if that's better? They're pretty friendly, and if you're willing to put down some money upfront, I think they might be willing to work with you. No idea though.

Interviewed today. Campbell is my #1 choice now.

Per Joy (if I remember correctly), there are 7 seats open as of 8-9am today. The committee meets tomorrow morning at 8am to make decisions on those who interviewed today (and I'm guess those who interviewed on Monday). She did say that they are very aware not everyone who was accepted are going to attend CUSOM (for obvious reasons) and if you get waitlisted, that means you are accepted but they couldn't accept you yet because they can't give more than 162 acceptances as of right now. But Nov. 15th is the d-day for many of those accepted people. And the waitlist is evaluated every week. So I'm not sure if you are waitlisted this week, you are guaranteed a seat when people start not accepting their acceptances or not (wordplay).

Please correct me if I got any of this wrong. I wasn't really awake that early in the morning.

I got pretty specific questions about my particular application package. All of them asked about being a scribe and my clinical experience... I had one professor ask me very very specific questions about my research and then about some bad grades I got... and then also asked me some pretty personal questions... that was kind of hard, lol. Had another professor ask me like 3 questions and let me go at like 15 min... also kind of scary, but they told me that might happen. Honestly, everyone else was like, "My interviews went great!" And I was like, "Uh... I think they were okay... :<" But I still got in so hey. ;D

Is there a hotel/motel/inn within walking distance from campus?

How soon after interview will we find out about acceptance? About Dean's Scholarship?

How soon after interview will we find out about acceptance? About Dean's Scholarship?

The committee meets every Wednesday I believe. I interviewed on a Monday and heard back that Wednesday. Not sure about the scholarship.

It is pretty close to the school but I would prob try a taxi or see if any other students are going that day since there are no sidewalks on the road and best of luck if you tell them you are interviewing you will get a discount I was told

Ok, I will check it out! I won't have a car...so maybe taxi from the microtel?

I would see if you could hook up with another person interviewing on the same day for a ride to the school.

How had you planned to get from the airport to the hotel? Raleigh is 45 minutes away, and for the price of that taxi ride you could rent a car.

I would see if you could hook up with another person interviewing on the same day for a ride to the school.

How had you planned to get from the airport to the hotel? Raleigh is 45 minutes away, and for the price of that taxi ride you could rent a car.
A family friend works in Raleigh and will drop me off at the hotel the day before the interview (still need to figure out how to get back). I am under 26...so I don't think I can rent a car :(

A family friend works in Raleigh and will drop me off at the hotel the day before the interview (still need to figure out how to get back). I am under 26...so I don't think I can rent a car :(

I think you can pay an extra fee for a rental car.

Or again try and connect with another person interviewing on the same day.

It is pretty close to the school but I would prob try a taxi or see if any other students are going that day since there are no sidewalks on the road and best of luck if you tell them you are interviewing you will get a discount I was told
no sidewalks on the road....reminds me of rural MN. Are there cornfields?

I live at Ft Bragg and was pretty amazed how nice it here, I think NC has alot to offer and the school is amazing

no sidewalks on the road....reminds me of rural MN. Are there cornfields?

I think I saw cotton fields, not sure though.

They are mostly tobacco fields! :) I don't believe it's possible to get a taxi based on two separate anecdotal stories I heard from other interviewers - at least not at the hour in the morning that you'll need it. I gave another interviewer a ride from the Microtel on my interview day, so that's definitely a possibility!

i am 22 and rented with Alamo/National at a different school and had to pay an extra $25/calendar day (so if you arrive the day before your interview, pick up your car, and then return it after your interview it will be $50).

also, if they say they require a credit card, and you don't have one, ask if you can show them proof of a round trip ticket as an equivalent for them to know that you aren't going to just run off with their car. they allowed me to do that as I don't have an active credit card.

i am 22 and rented with Alamo/National at a different school and had to pay an extra $25/calendar day (so if you arrive the day before your interview, pick up your car, and then return it after your interview it will be $50).

also, if they say they require a credit card, and you don't have one, ask if you can show them proof of a round trip ticket as an equivalent for them to know that you aren't going to just run off with their car. they allowed me to do that as I don't have an active credit card.

I was charged $180 + gas when I rented a car a few months ago with Alamo. Just my personal experience.

I was charged $180 + gas when I rented a car a few months ago with Alamo. Just my personal experience.

oh jeeze. was that your TOTAL cost or just because you were underage?

my car itself was like 50, but then the "underage fee" was 25 for 2 days. so about 100 bucks. i had unlimited mileage and did the option where i just filled the car back up shortly before returning it because i knew i wouldn't be using much gas and it was more expensive if you return it not full.

The first interview seemed focused on my undergrad - the culture and academics there, why I chose it, what the high point/low points were, etc. I was also asked about my personal statement. I wrote about art (I paint), she wanted to know how it relates to medicine. I only took 2 bio courses in college and so the interviewer was a bit concerned about how I would do in the bio heavy coursework of Med school, so they gave me a sheet of paper with a multiple choice question on it about Bacterial division and passing on genes or something. I got it right thankfully. I also pointed to the 11 I got on the mcat bio section and I think that eased her mind.

The second interview had some more standard questions like why medicine, why DO, how I found out about DO, and stuff like that. They also asked who my 2 state senators were! Honestly in this one it was mostly the interviewer doing the talking.

The third interviewer seemed interested in what I've been doing since I graduated in May. I told him all about that and he seemed to enjoy it. He then went off on a tangent about residency and fellowship training, and how being a doctor is a constant lifelong struggle: first you have to get in, then grades to worry about, then step 1, step 2, clinicals, residency, more exams and work, then possible fellowships. He asked me if I'm ready for that. I told him I was.

This guy actually got up during the interview and left the room hahah. He went to talk to some students who were in a study room. I thought it was funny as hell

You need a car, it will be cheaper than taxi from raleigh
I think I will have a ride from raleigh to microtel...but need transportation from Microtel to campus. On that note, anyone interviewing 1/12/14?

The first interview seemed focused on my undergrad - the culture and academics there, why I chose it, what the high point/low points were, etc. I was also asked about my personal statement. I wrote about art (I paint), she wanted to know how it relates to medicine. I only took 2 bio courses in college and so the interviewer was a bit concerned about how I would do in the bio heavy coursework of Med school, so they gave me a sheet of paper with a multiple choice question on it about Bacterial division and passing on genes or something. I got it right thankfully. I also pointed to the 11 I got on the mcat bio section and I think that eased her mind.

The second interview had some more standard questions like why medicine, why DO, how I found out about DO, and stuff like that. They also asked who my 2 state senators were! Honestly in this one it was mostly the interviewer doing the talking.

The third interviewer seemed interested in what I've been doing since I graduated in May. I told him all about that and he seemed to enjoy it. He then went off on a tangent about residency and fellowship training, and how being a doctor is a constant lifelong struggle: first you have to get in, then grades to worry about, then step 1, step 2, clinicals, residency, more exams and work, then possible fellowships. He asked me if I'm ready for that. I told him I was.

This guy actually got up during the interview and left the room hahah. He went to talk to some students who were in a study room. I thought it was funny as hell
You interviewed same day as me... I def remember someone in my group telling me about that lol. Can't remember who though. I liked our tour guide - very straight forward and honest.

I think I will have a ride from raleigh to microtel...but need transportation from Microtel to campus. On that note, anyone interviewing 1/12/14?
Hey DrinkingTea, my husband and I will be at the Microtel for my interview on Jan 12th. Would you like to ride with us to the campus? He will be dropping me off at 7a and then come back and pick me up when I call him. We'd be happy to help.
My email is [email protected] if you'd like to chat more...I don't log in here very often, so it's better the catch me that way.
Hope that helps!

Luckily, I have family in the state that will be providing me with a vehicle. I'll be coming from Aberdeen, which as far as I know is around 45 min away from lillington. If anyone is in my direct route of travel and absolutely cannot find another way to the interview, I would be more than happy to help. After all, we're all in this struggle together.

the interview day ends at 1:30 i think

Last edited:
So I'm looking into the Fuquay Varina apartments. Do you guys know how fast they go?

For anyone who got accepted--do you know how to meet/find people for housing??

For anyone who got accepted--do you know how to meet/find people for housing??

On the matriculation Web site they say that starting January 1st, they will be posting housing stuff. So my guess is that will be the first connections. Also there is a Facebook group that has been started that is linked to earlier on in this thread.

Anyone from 11/11 hear back yet....
I guess tmw is the day or else I got rejected... i suppose there is more chance of a rejection or waitlist since there wwere only 7 seaseats remaining 2 days ago...