Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CUSOM is one of few schools that screen applicants pre-secondary, which is nice. That said, I'm pretty sure they send out secondaries to everyone that meets their minimum requirements, which is like a 3.2 and a 24? I think?
The previous year they didn't screen for a 24 MCAT, maybe certain subset score within the MCAT at least I wasn't filtered out last year for having an MCAT <24. Maybe they changed it, but last cycle I got in with a MCAT <24.

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone! I will be starting here in the fall, so if anyone has any application specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

Let me begin by thanking you for the kind offer, I have a few questions, I received this in email, "Thank you for submitting an initial application through AACOMAS to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

Does the school not require LOR's?

On a side note, why did you go for this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me begin by thanking you for the kind offer, I have a few questions, I received this in email, "Thank you for submitting an initial application through AACOMAS to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."

they do require LOR's but not prior to secondaries...you'll get contacted if they invite you to submit a secondary

I'm have a long logistical reason for attending but I'm happy with the friendliness of the staff and I like the country atmosphere of the area. I was particularly impressed with the resources and ambition they have when compared to what I was expecting as they are a new school

Yes, CUSOM requires LOR's. If they send you a secondary application then you can send them in.

From the secondary:
"Two letters of recommendation are required. One will need to be from either an Osteopathic Physician (D.O.) or an Allopathic Physician (M.D.) and one from a premedical advisor or science faculty member (Ph.D.) who instructed you in a science course."

Post #8 on this thread pretty much sums up my personal reasons for choosing CUSOM.

I'll probably get laughed off the thread for asking this, but I have the secondary completely done..... with the exception of finding my old SAT and ACT scores. How did you guys get your hands on your old scores? I took them in 2008 before undergrad so I'm drawing a bit of a blank here.

I'll probably get laughed off the thread for asking this, but I have the secondary completely done..... with the exception of finding my old SAT and ACT scores. How did you guys get your hands on your old scores? I took them in 2008 before undergrad so I'm drawing a bit of a blank here.

http://sat.collegeboard.org/scores
I went to this website and miraculously remembered the user name/password I used to use in high school. If all else fails, I'm sure you can call them up and give them your personal info to retrieve your scores!

The school would like the scores, but they aren't required. I asked last year when I applied.

CUSOM is one of few schools that screen applicants pre-secondary, which is nice. That said, I'm pretty sure they send out secondaries to everyone that meets their minimum requirements, which is like a 3.2 and a 24? I think?
I got a 3.1 gpa, 29 mcat. Would I be autoscreened out? :(

Good thing #1, it's 5pm, no more work, good thing #2 it's Friday. Good thing #3, just got their secondary. It is also a little old school. Please fill out this 10 page form as a word document and e-mail it back to us. Works for me. Good luck everyone.
Here are the essay prompts as well.
ESSAY QUESTIONS: Please answer the following questions and limit your response to one-half page.
What are the top five qualities you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school
Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?
In the event you submitted an application to another medical school last year, what improvements have you made to your application? Please indicate if you applied to CUSOM in the past.
Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? YES NO

If YES, where and when?
Is this everything? I looked up the secondaries from last year and it has a third question:
There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

Also, for the "in the event you submitted an application to another medical school..."
What would be an appropriate response if we applied last year, but not to CUSOM and did not enroll in any school?
Basically, is this question basically asking whether or not we submitted aacomas application last year? or is it asking whether or not we tried to apply to CUSOM last year?

Is this everything? I looked up the secondaries from last year and it has a third question:
There are many problems facing healthcare in America today. Describe your interpretation of the status of healthcare in the United States today and those challenges the patients and physicians of tomorrow will face.

I went back and checked and that question was not on the secondary.

Also, for the "in the event you submitted an application to another medical school..."
What would be an appropriate response if we applied last year, but not to CUSOM and did not enroll in any school?
Basically, is this question basically asking whether or not we submitted aacomas application last year? or is it asking whether or not we tried to apply to CUSOM last year?

I did both. I started it off by saying I did not apply to CUSOM in the past, but to the schools I did apply to....

Members don't see this ad :)

According to CUSOM's website, the minimum GPA required for acceptance is 3.2.

According to CUSOM's website, the minimum GPA required for acceptance is 3.2.
Well, I'm going to submit my secondaries when I get it. Might as well right?
From 2013-2014 underdawgs thread:
Lutzsh01 3.2/3.1/25 Interview: LECOM-SH, CUSOM, VCOM Acceptance: LECOME-SH, VCOM
Murdock 2.96 / 3.52 /27 Interview: CUSOM A: VCOM-CC, UNECOM

Reactions: 1 user
(had a question pm'd to me from a parent who is applying that I thought might have a relevant answer to others...answer posted here)

As for the area being family friendly...Campbell itself is in the middle of nowhere, the area has a lot of nature/parks/trails etc. I like rural so it's perfect for me. The question of raising kids though involves schools. Assuming you can't afford private schools while one parent is not working that leaves public schools. Using the state of NC website for their grade level assesment tests, the public schools right around campbell (we were only looking at elementary) are pretty bad. Like 30% reading at grade level bad. It's odd to be 40miles from the highest concentration of PhDs in the country, the research triangle, and be that bad but it is what it is. What's nice though is there are a few very nice small towns in between campbell and the triangle that offer progressively better schools. Fuquay Varina is about 10miles up the road and the school s are about 10% in terms of kids reading on grade level if I remember right. Holly Springs is about 20 from campbell and they are in the 50-60%range if I recall. Partially for my wife's work and partially because the schools were approaching 70% reading at level, we decided to live in Apex. It's 30miles but I'm a dad, so my comfort isn't the only consideration. I'm just moving there this summer, but my wife's family is from the triangle and they can't get enough of NC. You can be at the beach or the mountains by lunch if you leave early and the seasons are mild compared to most the country. As a side note, you mentioned preschool, don't forget that while you are booked in class and you significant other is working preschool is one of the allowable reasons to increase your "cost of attendance" for FAFSA.

The other specifically nice thing about Campbell is what Dr. Kessler (in charge of 3-4yr rotations) is trying to set up. He's arranging pods of rotations so that students can avoid moving around much during yr 3-4 if they want. One pod will be there right around campbell, they are setting one up in raleigh, and he had plans to set one in western NC eventually for those that want a change of scenery. His concern for students with kids was one of the primary reasons for arranging this.

"Secondary received and fee paid" email received today. They said they are rolling admissions, first call on last years thread was july 23 by @sb247 . Hopefully, it's around the same time this year!

"Secondary received and fee paid" email received today. They said they are rolling admissions, first call on last years thread was july 23 by @sb247 . Hopefully, it's around the same time this year!
I interviewed the first day possible last year. It was sometime mid August. CUSOM's pretty quick with a decision after your interview. I think I found out within 3 days. In the beginning, most seem to get accepted, a few rejected or put on the waitlist.

Well, I'm going to submit my secondaries when I get it. Might as well right?
From 2013-2014 underdawgs thread:
Lutzsh01 3.2/3.1/25 Interview: LECOM-SH, CUSOM, VCOM Acceptance: LECOME-SH, VCOM
Murdock 2.96 / 3.52 /27 Interview: CUSOM A: VCOM-CC, UNECOM
I mean, I would. I'm just letting you know what the website says: http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/admissions/admissions-process-requirements/

Perhaps call the school and see if what's stated there is a hard and fast rule?

I interviewed the first day possible last year. It was sometime mid August. CUSOM's pretty quick with a decision after your interview. I think I found out within 3 days. In the beginning, most seem to get accepted, a few rejected or put on the waitlist.

I think I was also called within 3-4 days

Oh I meant first call for interview. But that's also nice to know!:)

(had a question pm'd to me from a parent who is applying that I thought might have a relevant answer to others...answer posted here)

As for the area being family friendly...Campbell itself is in the middle of nowhere, the area has a lot of nature/parks/trails etc. I like rural so it's perfect for me. The question of raising kids though involves schools. Assuming you can't afford private schools while one parent is not working that leaves public schools. Using the state of NC website for their grade level assesment tests, the public schools right around campbell (we were only looking at elementary) are pretty bad. Like 30% reading at grade level bad. It's odd to be 40miles from the highest concentration of PhDs in the country, the research triangle, and be that bad but it is what it is. What's nice though is there are a few very nice small towns in between campbell and the triangle that offer progressively better schools. Fuquay Varina is about 10miles up the road and the school s are about 10% in terms of kids reading on grade level if I remember right. Holly Springs is about 20 from campbell and they are in the 50-60%range if I recall. Partially for my wife's work and partially because the schools were approaching 70% reading at level, we decided to live in Apex. It's 30miles but I'm a dad, so my comfort isn't the only consideration. I'm just moving there this summer, but my wife's family is from the triangle and they can't get enough of NC. You can be at the beach or the mountains by lunch if you leave early and the seasons are mild compared to most the country. As a side note, you mentioned preschool, don't forget that while you are booked in class and you significant other is working preschool is one of the allowable reasons to increase your "cost of attendance" for FAFSA.

The other specifically nice thing about Campbell is what Dr. Kessler (in charge of 3-4yr rotations) is trying to set up. He's arranging pods of rotations so that students can avoid moving around much during yr 3-4 if they want. One pod will be there right around campbell, they are setting one up in raleigh, and he had plans to set one in western NC eventually for those that want a change of scenery. His concern for students with kids was one of the primary reasons for arranging this.
Wow, that's a lot of useful info, thanks a lot man.
Got a few questions for you:
What are some of the things that gravitate you towards Campbell?
What are some of the things about Campbell that you find frustrating?
How are your classmates?
How are your professors?
How is the environment/ weather?

pros:
I like the rural setting of the school and NC climate. but you're still just 1hr outside of raleigh/durham/duke
Staff were friendly and accessible although some are better at answering emails than others are
I liked dr. kesslers plan to keep us from having to move every other month for rotations
While the med school stayed away from mentioning religion, I think my christian beliefs are less likely to be ridiculed by staff at a school attached to a conservative baptist undergrad
school is financially sound, when the current medical dean was acting as a consultant for the starting the school he told the president it might take 60-70million dollars to get started. The president asked him who to write the check to...
the school is very connected and has already contracted for an IM residency (i think 30 slots) and a derm (i think 6)
I don't technically have classmates yet but we have a class FB page and have already been setting get togethers and getting advice from the 2nd yrs on books/apts/etc...some of us are even helping each other move
no info on professors yet...I met with one on interview day and he was very nice
*full disclosure, I cancelled my out of state interviews partially for financial reasons after getting an acceptance to campbell

Cons:
dress code...shirt and tie every day....ugh
mandatory class attendance....8-5 m-th with a 2hr break in the afternoon, fri 8-12
also a con if you get into an in-state public school....tuition here is $40k

pros:
I like the rural setting of the school and NC climate. but you're still just 1hr outside of raleigh/durham/duke
Staff were friendly and accessible although some are better at answering emails than others are
I liked dr. kesslers plan to keep us from having to move every other month for rotations
While the med school stayed away from mentioning religion, I think my christian beliefs are less likely to be ridiculed by staff at a school attached to a conservative baptist undergrad
school is financially sound, when the current medical dean was acting as a consultant for the starting the school he told the president it might take 60-70million dollars to get started. The president asked him who to write the check to...
the school is very connected and has already contracted for an IM residency (i think 30 slots) and a derm (i think 6)
I don't technically have classmates yet but we have a class FB page and have already been setting get togethers and getting advice from the 2nd yrs on books/apts/etc...some of us are even helping each other move
no info on professors yet...I met with one on interview day and he was very nice
*full disclosure, I cancelled my out of state interviews partially for financial reasons after getting an acceptance to campbell

Cons:
dress code...shirt and tie every day....ugh
mandatory class attendance....8-5 m-th with a 2hr break in the afternoon, fri 8-12
also a con if you get into an in-state public school....tuition here is $40k
+1

I really liked the professors I met during my interviews. The doctor who's in charge of our preclinical years worked at Duke for over 27 years. I asked her why she left such a prestigious school. She said that she'd rather work a place that focuses on training doctors who want to become clinicians rather than physician-scientists. She was getting sick of the competitive environment and how the school was only interested in you if you planned to cure cancer, etc and make a name for the school.

Beyond that, of the other faculty and staff I met, all of them are really approachable. I was leaving Accepted Students Day and the guy who the school's named after, Jerry Wallace, was getting in his car to leave at the end of the day. As I walked by, he got out of his car, walked over to my dad and me, and we talked for a good 10 minutes.

I just called today to ask about something in my file (change of MCAT plans; wanted to make sure they had the updated info) and Stephanie in admissions was wonderful. She told me that interviews should start next month, but that I might not hear any news for a few weeks (my file is complete/ready for review) because it's still so early :p I hadn't asked about any of that, so it was incredibly kind of her to offer that information.

Hello ladies and gents. When you received an email from CU-SOM letting you know that they received and reviewed your primary application, was

"We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks" included? I would just like to know if this is a generic statement that they add in every e-mail. Thanks guys.

Hello ladies and gents. When you received an email from CU-SOM letting you know that they received and reviewed your primary application, was

"We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks" included? I would just like to know if this is a generic statement that they add in every e-mail. Thanks guys.

Nope. Seems like you got a "likely" letter haha. This is what I got in that exact order:

1) "Thank you for submitting an initial application through AACOMAS toCampbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been received and we look forward to reviewing your credentials. The committee will begin reviewing applications during the next two weeks and will be certain to follow-up with you by e-mail regarding the status of your application at that time."
2) "Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine would like to invite you to submit a Secondary Application."
3)"Please be advised that your secondary application and application fee have been received by Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine."

BTW, is there supposed to be a "complete" email?

Same as @jjtheairplane, plus

4) "We would like to inform you that your file is now complete and ready for final review with the Admissions Committee. After the committee has reviewed your secondary application and supplemental materials we will follow up with you regarding your status."

Same as @jjtheairplane, plus

4) "We would like to inform you that your file is now complete and ready for final review with the Admissions Committee. After the committee has reviewed your secondary application and supplemental materials we will follow up with you regarding your status."

Hey, when did you receive number 3 and 4?

Haha, nah. I doubt that's it.

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

Once we review your application with the committee we will contact you with the status of your application."

So technically, I haven't made it past the screen yet.

What are your stats, out of curiosity? It seems strange to me. I can't help but read it as good news, but it's weird that you'd get a different form letter for the pre-screening?!

My LoRs haven't arrived yet so I can't contribute but I am so jealous right now, haha.

Rather sub-par stats.

3.45c, 3.33s, 24MCAT. URM- Unique story. I have fairly solid ECs, though.

Just have to wait it out, I guess.

Yep, we'll all just wait and see. I wish you the best of luck - I'm sure you've managed to catch their attention with your story and ECs!

And @polylux I'm sure you aren't far behind :D

Haha, nah. I doubt that's it.

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks.

Once we review your application with the committee we will contact you with the status of your application."

So technically, I haven't made it past the screen yet.
I got the same exact e-mail last year and was later interviewed and accepted.

AACOMAS was verified. Pre-writing my secondary for CUSOM now. Any tips?

If they start interviewing in August do you think they'll be sending out invites this week and next?

Do you receive any type of email after emailing the secondary to CUSOM? If yes, how long did it take?

If they start interviewing in August do you think they'll be sending out invites this week and next?

I believe I interviewed the 19th-20th last year so invites are bound to come out soon.
Do you receive any type of email after emailing the secondary to CUSOM? If yes, how long did it take?

yes, they are usually pretty quick

No secondary yet. Probably didn't make it past the screen. Received an e-mail from CU-SOM on July 18th letting me know that my application has been reviewed.