Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good thing I know Krebs inside and out, upside down and backwards :rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

Good thing I know Krebs inside and out, upside down and backwards :rofl:

Good. Some of the administration hide in random parts of the building and then just pop out with random Krebs Cycle questions.

Reactions: 1 user
It's the craziest thing. One girl from my group swore she had to retake the MCAT during an interview. But aside from that, it's all pretty standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beware the obstacle course too...

Anyone willing to provide a layout for the interview day? 3 x 1-on-1 interviews? Should I prepare anything? Not scenario-based, correct? I don't have to practice MMI responses (fingers-crossed)??? Feel free to message me if you would prefer! :bow: THANK YOU!
It is 3 separate interviewers 1 one 1 for 30 mins each. However, they said if you are cut short to under 30 mins, do not think it went horribly. Some staff just prefer shorter. Mine were pretty much all 30 mins but they were very nice. Like everyone else said, why DO, future questions like where do you see yourself in ten years, tell me about yourself...very conversational and relaxed :)

Reactions: 1 users
When interviewing with a lower MCAT, and realizing that it will be questioned by probably every interviewer... does anyone know of a 'preferred' response?! What are they wanting to hear about a low MCAT? Do numbers matter after getting the interview?

When interviewing with a lower MCAT, and realizing that it will be questioned by probably every interviewer... does anyone know of a 'preferred' response?! What are they wanting to hear about a low MCAT? Do numbers matter after getting the interview?
Of course, numbers still matter. Just give an honest response. Don't look for someone to feed you what he or she thinks an interviewer wants to hear. That said, I wouldn't say something to the effect that I didn't try or study hard enough.

Good. Some of the administration hide in random parts of the building and then just pop out with random Krebs Cycle questions.
Coincidentally, that was the one part of biochem we sort of glazed over.

I interviewed with a 24 and was only asked about it once. I was honest and confident, and I told my interviewer that the exam only shows who I was on that day, and if they wanted a better image of who I was, then to look at my GPA the last couple of years with my rigorous course work.
Just be yourself. They like you enough to interview you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone!

I was accepted to CUSOM November 5th and I sent in my deposit.
Message me with questions or just to make a friend!
3.6/24
Clinical - 1000+ hrs as pharmacy tech at Yale-New Haven Hospital
Research- 100+ hrs research assistant at Yale University's digestive diseases lab

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Interview date moved from February 24th to January 20th! :soexcited::claps:
***Acceptees/Matriculants - would any of you mind sharing your stats, EC's, shadowing hours, research, volunteering, etc?!?! Please and thank you!

Random thread hi-jack:
Any other CUSOM c/o 2019 interested in taking the Disc Golf course at Campbell from it's current state to a true solid course? I would love to build some true tee boxes, clean up the fairways, add some signage (distance, pars, hole map) and I'm sure I could use all the help I could get.
Looking forward to being a part of numero tres class wise. Keep getting stoked at all the new residencies they're building.

btw Tigre22 here's my outta left field non-trad stats:
3.5 cumulative/3.8 sci/ 26 MCAT
EC: (nothing school wise) hiker, backpacker, surfing, snowboarding, disc golf, musician
Shadowing hours: 50
research: zilch (though life tends to be one ongoing piece of research, right?)
volunteering: volunteered over 200 hours at a free clinic in the patient intake process
clinical work exp: Volunteer Coordinator at the Community Care Clinic (free clinic), CNA in medical/pediatrics of local hospital, Field Instructor with a Wilderness Therapy Program helping at-risk teens

Can't wait to meet all of you 2019ers and continue to help establish this school as one of the best.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi there! I am a current student at CUSOM and would love to be a resource to you all. Feel free to reach out! Good luck with interviews :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tigre22
3.5ish/24 MCAT
Shadowed 2 D.O.s and 2 M.D.s total of about 80 hours... a Hospitalist, family practitioner, and 2 General surgeons.
Volunteered teaching English about 100+ hours.
Started a Pre-SOMA chapter at my school
Worked as a C.N.A./Telemetry Tech. full time for about 2 years and currently work full time in a wound and hyperbaric clinic where I work alongside DPMs, NPs, family practice doc, and a plastic surgeon.
I helped a little in cardiovascular genetics research lab, nothing impressive or that I could say I helped be published. TO me it wasn't too exciting and didn't get too heavily involved.

Interview date moved from February 24th to January 20th! :soexcited::claps:
***Acceptees/Matriculants - would any of you mind sharing your stats, EC's, shadowing hours, research, volunteering, etc?!?! Please and thank you!

Nice, did they let you know or did you ask for an earlier date?

I asked to be put on the wait list for an earlier date. ...Called in the morning to be put on the wait list, got the call early that same afternoon for an opening! There's movement in the interview process :horns:

They Want U To Have Witnessed Ohm preformed

I interviewed with a 24 and was only asked about it once. I was honest and confident, and I told my interviewer that the exam only shows who I was on that day, and if they wanted a better image of who I was, then to look at my GPA the last couple of years with my rigorous course work.
Just be yourself. They like you enough to interview you.

I agree with the Turk :D I had 23 MCAT; however, they all asked me about it. I took it twice so I honestly did not know what happened. Just wasn't my test. I was honest and said that I really didn't know. The one interviewer said my son is in med school and he had a great GPA just like you and did horrible on the MCAT. Some people just don't have that brain for it. I was lucky in the sense that he provided me with that example and had a son who was in the same situation. He could relate. Another interviewer was scolding me pretty hard for it and I just told him Listen..I know that test was not my best. But I promise you if you accept me I will be one of the hardest working people here. I said more but blah blah I am sick of typing. Just be honest and sell yourself. You gotta want it and convince them!! :D

I will definitely be looking for a roommate in NC. I have no pets coming with me but I love them, I like netflix, cookies, studying, and the occasional alcoholic beverage. Anyone who may be interested..get at me ;) :hello:

Does anyone know when the actual school year starts for 2015-2016? Trying to plan some trips... I'm guessing early August?

I will definitely be looking for a roommate in NC. I have no pets coming with me but I love them, I like netflix, cookies, studying, and the occasional alcoholic beverage. Anyone who may be interested..get at me ;) :hello:
i interview jan 27th and if i get in i plan on getting a husky when i move out there lol sooo i mean why not if your down lol

i interview jan 27th and if i get in i plan on getting a husky when i move out there lol sooo i mean why not if your down lol

I LOVE HUSKIES I WANT IN ON THIS

Don't know but last year was monday aug1 for classes with mandatory orientation the thurs and fri prior (50% practical 50% team buildig type stuff)
Based off that, I'm gonna guess we start Aug 3, Monday, with orientation July 30-31? When do you guys end this year for summer?

I checked the sample calendar they gave us of the curriculum for the next year. Looks like classes start August 1st, but I think there was a day of orientation July 31st

I checked the sample calendar they gave us of the curriculum for the next year. Looks like classes start August 1st, but I think there was a day of orientation July 31st
That was last year's starting schedule. August 1, 2015 is a Saturday.

Don't know but last year was monday aug1 for classes with mandatory orientation the thurs and fri prior (50% practical 50% team buildig type stuff)
Wow thanks for this! Didn't realize how soon classes started.

Hey I was wondering how many activities and intramural sports there are that take up time outside of normal class time. Also, how far are some students commuting for classes and would you recommend it or not? For example, my significant other has family in Cary, so we have looked into Apex, and Holly Springs, but are those cities a little too far from the school if I am wanting to be involved with the school activities? Thanks!

Hey I was wondering how many activities and intramural sports there are that take up time outside of normal class time. Also, how far are some students commuting for classes and would you recommend it or not? For example, my significant other has family in Cary, so we have looked into Apex, and Holly Springs, but are those cities a little too far from the school if I am wanting to be involved with the school activities? Thanks!
Some students play frisbee football each friday ad the same for soccer. The med school also unofficially had an intramural team in their frisbee football league (we won). But there are a ton of intramural things and a ton of med school clubs if you want extra stuff to do. Campbell doesn't let first years join clubs until after white coat though to help keep you focused until you get the feel of things (9wks)

I live in apex and the drive suuuuuucks. I do it for kid and wife employment reasons but i hate it.

I think Cary and Apex are definitely too far to drive if you don't have too. Unless you really enjoy the rural lifestyle (towns near school) I would look towards Fuquay-Varina or Holly springs. There are all the stores you need with enough restaurants, bars and breweries to keep you busy when you aren't studying or want a break. A 25 minutes commute is worth it in my book.

If you weren't a chick I'd be sold. haha.

Some students play frisbee football each friday ad the same for soccer. The med school also unofficially had an intramural team in their frisbee football league (we won). But there are a ton of intramural things and a ton of med school clubs if you want extra stuff to do. Campbell doesn't let first years join clubs until after white coat though to help keep you focused until you get the feel of things (9wks)

I live in apex and the drive suuuuuucks. I do it for kid and wife employment reasons but i hate it.
You, sir, need a pilot's license. Fly to school in style!

Hello, people! I hope all of you are doing well. I go to undergrad here. :)

For housing, you may get some luck with some of the complexes by the main campus. That would be around a five to ten minute commute.

The building I'm in by main campus has rent of around $400 for an unfurnished apartment that you share with two roommates. You can choose to get a unit with furniture, and/or choose to get a unit with one less roommate, but both of those options are more expensive in the complex I happen to be in. There's at least three other complexes that I can think of right off the top of my head, so there are options if you want to be really close.

Fuquay's nice, but there's been some elevated police presence within the past two years. I wouldn't suggest living in Angier to anyone- but there's some places in Lillington that you could probably find rentals. I think my brother rents a trailer for around $400 dollars there- I haven't been to his place yet, so I can't say I know where he rents it.

Apex is entirely too far for my taste, good on you for being a trooper for your wife!

If you all have questions about the area, feel free to ask. Happy holidays!

Reactions: 3 users
hey guys,

so I have an interview here in a couple weeks, and I heard from a friend who interview here that people were given quizzes during the interview? He wasn't given one but heard people talking about it? Is there any truth to this and if so why and what subject was it on? I'm kind of freaking out now...

hey guys,

so I have an interview here in a couple weeks, and I heard from a friend who interview here that people were given quizzes during the interview? He wasn't given one but heard people talking about it? Is there any truth to this and if so why and what subject was it on? I'm kind of freaking out now...

I think there is one interviewer who does it. I'm not sure, none of my interviews did anything like that. Mine were just all conversational.

hey guys,

The "quiz" was just one multiple choice question on a sheet of paper. It was something very simple and wasn't a huge part of the interview. She was more interested in hearing what I had to say about myself and my journey to med school.

hey guys,

I think you're missing a key point here KnicksTape...It's how you answer/react not what you answer. Don't freak yourself out! You'll be fine. I understand you're nervous because you don't know what to to expect. We were all there with you. Trust us though after going through it that it is totally fine. If you go in freaking out, your mind will be clouded and you'll do worse. We believe in ya!:biglove:

I think you're missing a key point here KnicksTape...It's how you answer/react not what you answer. Don't freak yourself out! You'll be fine. I understand you're nervous because you don't know what to to expect. We were all there with you. Trust us though after going through it that it is totally fine. If you go in freaking out, your mind will be clouded and you'll do worse. We believe in ya!:biglove:

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D

My application has been put on hold :( Anyone else in the same situation? I have a Phd in Mol Bio and have been in research for 10 years. My MCAT is not great 24 first attempt (7,9,8) and then a 23, shocking verbal score in this (8,6,9). Otherwise have a good application.

My application has been put on hold :( Anyone else in the same situation? I have a Phd in Mol Bio and have been in research for 10 years. My MCAT is not great 24 first attempt (7,9,8) and then a 23, shocking verbal score in this (8,6,9). Otherwise have a good application.
It might be timing. I applied in 2012 with a 23 MCAT, 3.8 GPA and good resume and got denied by everyone because I turned my application in pretty much on school's deadlines or just later than I should have. I added things to my app for this time but applied the day AMCAS and aacomas opened and I got in. Just a thought.

Weird question. Anyone go to the train option rather than fly or drive? I am from the Midwest. Flights look like they will cost ~400, and then I would still need to rent a car to get to the school. Thoughts?

Weird question. Anyone go to the train option rather than fly or drive? I am from the Midwest. Flights look like they will cost ~400, and then I would still need to rent a car to get to the school. Thoughts?

I looked briefly, and admittedly not very hard for train options. And didn't really find anything where I'm coming from.

But your options may be different or better.

Any word on how rotations are going to work for years 3 and 4? How are they deciding who goes where?

I agree with the Turk :D I had 23 MCAT; however, they all asked me about it. I took it twice so I honestly did not know what happened. Just wasn't my test. I was honest and said that I really didn't know. The one interviewer said my son is in med school and he had a great GPA just like you and did horrible on the MCAT. Some people just don't have that brain for it. I was lucky in the sense that he provided me with that example and had a son who was in the same situation. He could relate. Another interviewer was scolding me pretty hard for it and I just told him Listen..I know that test was not my best. But I promise you if you accept me I will be one of the hardest working people here. I said more but blah blah I am sick of typing. Just be honest and sell yourself. You gotta want it and convince them!! :D
Did he/she really scold you hard for having a low MCAT? Would you mind sharing the information about your interviewers (who are they) because I too have a low MCAT and kinda scared for having to answer this question. You can message me if you wish.

I looked briefly, and admittedly not very hard for train options. And didn't really find anything where I'm coming from.

But your options may be different or better.
Well, I put it in for the potential dates, but.... nothing. I don't know if that's because it's so far away or what the deal is. Type the route into Google and it gives me options for the present day. It's a 16 hour drive. 1 day 12 hours for the route Google showed.

Hello, people! I hope all of you are doing well. I go to undergrad here. :)

For housing, you may get some luck with some of the complexes by the main campus. That would be around a five to ten minute commute.

The building I'm in by main campus has rent of around $400 for an unfurnished apartment that you share with two roommates. You can choose to get a unit with furniture, and/or choose to get a unit with one less roommate, but both of those options are more expensive in the complex I happen to be in. There's at least three other complexes that I can think of right off the top of my head, so there are options if you want to be really close.

Fuquay's nice, but there's been some elevated police presence within the past two years. I wouldn't suggest living in Angier to anyone- but there's some places in Lillington that you could probably find rentals. I think my brother rents a trailer for around $400 dollars there- I haven't been to his place yet, so I can't say I know where he rents it.

Apex is entirely too far for my taste, good on you for being a trooper for your wife!

If you all have questions about the area, feel free to ask. Happy holidays!

How often to you go to the Raleigh-Durham area? Are there fun things to do closer to Lillington?