Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there, everybody!
Flying in from Texas this weekend to interview here on Monday...non-trad, nutritionist, and this is my only interview this cycle thus far...would be honored to be accepted here, as I already adore the program.
Any helpful tips for my interview (aside from "be yourself", etc...)?
Thanks & Congrats to those already accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

It might be timing. I applied in 2012 with a 23 MCAT, 3.8 GPA and good resume and got denied by everyone because I turned my application in pretty much on school's deadlines or just later than I should have. I added things to my app for this time but applied the day AMCAS and aacomas opened and I got in. Just a thought.
Yes I was late in the application because I retook the MCAT in October. So you think if I continue shadowing and volunteering I can just apply really early in the next cycle too...I work full-time in research and plan to work until I get in somewhere. Thanks for your reply....

Hey how long did it take you guys to hear back from the admissions office after you submitted the secondary? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, everybody!
Flying in from Texas this weekend to interview here on Monday...non-trad, nutritionist, and this is my only interview this cycle thus far...would be honored to be accepted here, as I already adore the program.
Any helpful tips for my interview (aside from "be yourself", etc...)?
Thanks & Congrats to those already accepted!
just that they care about your ability to do well academically and what kind of person you are....i.e. do they want the way you behave/act/think to be associated with their school forever.

Anybody know what there is around lillington to do outside of studying 24/7. All sane people need a break every now and then and just wanted to know where to go to relax and unwind a little and not have to drive all the way to Raleigh. I'm actually looking forward to being in Lillington coming from a larger city. Less distractions will be good for me to stay focused :)
there's a reasonable bar in lillington (county seat) and a number in fuquay varina.

Anyone interviewing on Feb 17th?

Reactions: 1 user
just that they care about your ability to do well academically and what kind of person you are....i.e. do they want the way you behave/act/think to be associated with their school forever.
Thank you so much! I have a really great feeling about this place ; ) Their mission is my heart. Would be honored to be accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an interview! Scheduled for March 2. I'm very excited and looking forward to seeing this school in person. I've only read great things.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I am flying in to Fayetteville on the 11th for my interview on the 12th. How on earth can I get to Lillington from the regional airport in Fayetteville? I can't rent a car because I am not old enough. Also my flight back to Arizona is on the 12th and I only have a small window to get back to Lafayette. Is anyone who already interviewed willing to share how they handled transportation?

Hi guys, I am flying in to Fayetteville on the 11th for my interview on the 12th. How on earth can I get to Lillington from the regional airport in Fayetteville? I can't rent a car because I am not old enough. Also my flight back to Arizona is on the 12th and I only have a small window to get back to Lafayette. Is anyone who already interviewed willing to share how they handled transportation?

Are you at least 21?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did he/she really scold you hard for having a low MCAT? Would you mind sharing the information about your interviewers (who are they) because I too have a low MCAT and kinda scared for having to answer this question. You can message me if you wish.
They don't scold you. They are not mean at all. They just ask and it is their right to know what you think happened. Someone else asked me who my interviewers were and I said I did not feel it was necessary to throw out names. It doesn't affect you if you don't know who they are. Chances are if your mcat is low, they will ask. They all asked me. Just be honest. Again, I said I didn't really know what happened and that was honest. For every negative thing you say though should throw out a positive after. Traits about yourself that will help you succeed. You got it. Be yourself.

Thank you so much! I have a really great feeling about this place ; ) Their mission is my heart. Would be honored to be accepted.

We might have possibly have the same mission. :) Did you hear about their nutrition science/obesity-focused curriculum?

Yes I was late in the application because I retook the MCAT in October. So you think if I continue shadowing and volunteering I can just apply really early in the next cycle too...I work full-time in research and plan to work until I get in somewhere. Thanks for your reply....
In my opinion, I think you will definitely have a better chance. Maybe try to re-take the mcat..as much as that sucks to hear. I didn't do better my second time but I think it says a lot that you re-study and re-take it. Shows perseverance and self-discipline. The research, shadowing, and work you mentioned though..definitely keep that up. Obviously this is just what happened to me/my opinion though so don't hold me to it.

We might have possibly have the same mission. :) Did you hear about their nutrition science/obesity-focused curriculum?
Yesssss! ; ) I have to admit I am downright giddy at the prospect of studying medicine in an environment that is open to indulging us granola heads. I will always, after all, be a nutritionist FIRST...lol...but I know I can be SO much more as a physician...specifically in pediatric preventive care. Would be cool to chat with you about this if we both wind up here : )
Blessings!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

I'm looking into the living situation and was wondering if anyone could comment on local gyms in the Fuquay-Varina area vs the gym at Campbell (do we have access to the undergrad gym?). Specifically, do any of the gyms in Fuquay Varina have basketball courts? Can't wait to start, I am so over my 9-5 haha

Hey all,

I'm looking into the living situation and was wondering if anyone could comment on local gyms in the Fuquay-Varina area vs the gym at Campbell (do we have access to the undergrad gym?). Specifically, do any of the gyms in Fuquay Varina have basketball courts? Can't wait to start, I am so over my 9-5 haha

Sounds like you're looking for like a YMCA or something like that. I don't know about any of those.

But while I was down for my interview I did a drop in at Crossfit South Wake, which wasn't bad at all. Facilities weren't as nice as I'm used too but still a good gym. I know there is one other crossfit gym in Fuquay-Varina and was gonna try it out when I went back down. But I think they are on opposites sides of Fuquay so location may play a factor.

When are you guys planning on moving there/looking for housing? Like actively looking.

Does anyone know what kind of community services can a student do at this school, both medical and non-medical related? Like providing medical care to people in the area? I cant seem to find that information on the website. Thanks

When are you guys planning on moving there/looking for housing? Like actively looking.

My goal is to be down there the last week of June or first week of July. Giving me 3-4 weeks of doing nothing and exploring.

As for actively looking for housing, hopefully sooner than later. They just send out an email saying the housing list will be up at the end of January. So probably start passively looking then and then more seriously April/May ish

I was planning on actively looking in the middle of February because a current student suggested signing a lease in March

I have a real estate agent currently looking into housing for me. I want to move early-mid july to get to know the area, relax, hang, etc.

Hey all,

we have full access to the undergrad facilities...there is an indoor court and an outdoor court. The gym/weightroom itself is small

Does anyone know what kind of community services can a student do at this school, both medical and non-medical related? Like providing medical care to people in the area? I cant seem to find that information on the website. Thanks

Tons of opportunities. The school is also in the process of setting up (almost done) a free clinic that will be student run.

I'll be matriculating into Campbell's 2019 class, and I'm looking into doing the Army HPSP scholarship, but I've read that they don't give out the scholarship to unaccredited schools. And since Campbell isn't technically accredited yet, does this mean I couldn't get the scholarship either way?

I have also read somewhere that I still could get the scholarship with a technically unaccredited school.

Are there any current campbell students who can confirm one of these sentiments?

I'll be matriculating into Campbell's 2019 class, and I'm looking into doing the Army HPSP scholarship, but I've read that they don't give out the scholarship to unaccredited schools. And since Campbell isn't technically accredited yet, does this mean I couldn't get the scholarship either way?

I have also read somewhere that I still could get the scholarship with a technically unaccredited school.

Are there any current campbell students who can confirm one of these sentiments?
We have HPSP in all three branches. There is no issue.

Edit: Technically, Campbell isn't unaccredited, it's preaccredited. This is like a probationary status during which the school is looked at closely until the first class graduates and full accreditation can be granted.

Last edited:
Tons of opportunities. The school is also in the process of setting up (almost done) a free clinic that will be student run.
This is yet another reason that Campbell is my top choice, I feel very honored to be part of the CUSOM family! Super excited for late July to start!

Last edited:
Anyone interviewing on the 13th? I have an email confirmation, but most schools send an additional reminder, I'm like freaking myself out because I can't remember if I completed the survey or not!

Anyone interviewing tomorrow and staying at the mictrotel want to grab a bite?

Anyone have any idea about which cell service providers give the best coverage in the area? I'm thinking of switching my plan, but I'd hate to do that only to find out they have horrible service.

Anyone have any idea about which cell service providers give the best coverage in the area? I'm thinking of switching my plan, but I'd hate to do that only to find out they have horrible service.

I'm in the same boat, I'm gonna end up switching cell carriers and was wondering myself

I really want to get my housing figured out lol

Had an interview on Jan. 12, just got the call today!!! So excited!! Are most looking at living in Lillington or the Fuquay area? Anyone thinking about Raleigh or would that be too far a commute?

Congrats! @COgirl419
Did they happen to say how many seats were filled? The % they accept post-interview? Or anything of that nature?!

Did he/she really scold you hard for having a low MCAT? Would you mind sharing the information about your interviewers (who are they) because I too have a low MCAT and kinda scared for having to answer this question. You can message me if you wish.

My MCAT was not much higher and I was by no means scolded for it, but you should be prepared to discuss it. I was asked about my academics and what I expected to be different about medical school and how I would adjust to the volume of information. My interviews for the most part were very laid back.

Congrats! @COgirl419
Did they happen to say how many seats were filled? The % they accept post-interview? Or anything of that nature?!

Interviewed Jan 13 and got the call today! Ecstatic!!!! Class 2019 here we go!

Joy said our interview date was the last fir yes or no acceptances. All future interviews would be for waitlist!

Wait. What? They are now offering wait listed spots? As well as acceptances?

Accepted!! Interviewed on the 12th!

Had an interview on Jan. 12, just got the call today!!! So excited!! Are most looking at living in Lillington or the Fuquay area? Anyone thinking about Raleigh or would that be too far a commute?
My wife and I are looking to buy a home in lillington, Fuquay is too far for her to drive to work, but I hear that is where a lot of people stay

I debated Raleigh since my SO lives right near NCSU, but 40 min is a bit far. Fuquay is a good middle ground, I think.

I'm not moving until June/July, so I'm not gonna get hyped over any housing yet because it might not be available until I'm ready to pay. :/
I wont be moving til July, but a lot of times apt complexes that are popular for students start signing leases for the next academic year in Feb/March.