Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Weren't they so nice?! .. And that sim lab was amazing!
It definitely was a really cool school. Everything was state of the art it was really nice

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked the sim lab as well. I just wish students got to use it more. I know that at AT Still 2nd years can go to sim lab once a week if they want. At campbell 2nd years go twice a quarter. And 1st years go once a quarter. Does anyone know if that will change?

I really liked the sim lab as well. I just wish students got to use it more. I know that at AT Still 2nd years can go to sim lab once a week if they want. At campbell 2nd years go twice a quarter. And 1st years go once a quarter. Does anyone know if that will change?
All third years have a one month rotation there as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Dean's update today.....over 500 spaces arranged so far for rotating 3rd/4th year students and 160+residency slots signed and approved with discussions for a significant additional amount in process

I never understood this. I asked during the interview about the residency positions. How does it benefit us if anyone can apply and has to go through the match? It's not like it's strictly for CUSOM students...

I never understood this. I asked during the interview about the residency positions. How does it benefit us if anyone can apply and has to go through the match? It's not like it's strictly for CUSOM students...
It's not strictly for CUSOM students, but the fact that CUSOM has a hand in it means those program directors will be more familiar with CUSOM students. That's definitely an advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Every spot helps and I'd rather my school pull their weight in starting programs. And campbell faculty working in campbell rotation sites will absolutely know which students are cambell. Those program directors will be working closely with the administration that we work with as students. You will do your core rotations at those hospitals with the faculty that run those programs, every month you get a chance to prove your worth, if they still prefer a stranger after you've had that much access it's on you as a student.

Reactions: 3 users
Every spot helps and I'd rather my school pull their weight in starting programs. And campbell faculty working in campbell rotation sites will absolutely know which students are cambell. Those program directors will be working closely with the administration that we work with as students. You will do your core rotations at those hospitals with the faculty that run those programs, every month you get a chance to prove your worth, if they still prefer a stranger after you've had that much access it's on you as a student.

Don't you also get letters from physicians you rotate with based on your performance in a file that's later viewed by PD's when you apply for residency? This could be another benefit. Although residencies are of course open to anyone applying I could only imagine that an applicant with a past experience in their hospital would have a leg up, seeing that they already know how things are ran in the hospital.

EDIT: Apologies for the run on sentence..run on question? Whatever, just remember to breathe while reading lolol

Don't you also get letters from physicians you rotate with based on your performance in a file that's later viewed by PD's when you apply for residency? This could be another benefit. Although residencies are of course open to anyone applying I could only imagine that an applicant with a past experience in their hospital would have a leg up, seeing that they already know how things are ran in the hospital.

EDIT: Apologies for the run on sentence..run on question? Whatever, just remember to breathe while reading lolol
Yes, you can get letters. A letter from someone in the speciality you're trying to match is up there in top 5 things PDs want to see.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Post interview rejection interviewed on 1/27. Congrats to all who got in!

Accepted!!! Interviewed jan 27!!!

Pooverdam,

Congratulations on your acceptance to CUSOM. I am interviewing there on February 10th. Can you give me any advice about the interview process? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Pooverdam,

Congratulations on your acceptance to CUSOM. I am interviewing there on February 10th. Can you give me any advice about the interview process? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! As you probably have read, the school is currently interviewing for the waitlist. That is what they told us at my interview. It's upsetting that schools do this to applicants but that is a whole other conversation.

On interview day you will have 3 separate 1:1 interviews. They will range from 15-30 minutes long. They are all relaxed in style but they still ask you some hard questions. Know the usual questions "why DO and why CUSOM" you will get asked those. Its an open file interview and the interviewers know your application. I felt one of the interviewers knew my application better than I did! It was kind of freaky but nothing bad. I felt like i crushed my first interview, my second went alright (he asked the hardest questions) and my third went slightly better than the 2nd. I had some doubts about some of my answers but they must have liked me because I got a call 2 days later saying I was in, NO WAITLIST. WOOT! One thing that is nice about CUSOM is that when somebody declines their acceptance they call the next person in line right away. I guess it worked out for me.

I am beyond happy. I have been trying to get into medical school for 5 years now. This was my third application cycle. The struggle was real. Don't give up on your dreams if it doesn't happen this year. Persistence is the name of the game in life. If you want something that badly than you will obtain it.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't forget to join the Facebook group! Just search CUSOM Class of 2019! :)

Thank you! As you probably have read, the school is currently interviewing for the waitlist. That is what they told us at my interview. It's upsetting that schools do this to applicants but that is a whole other conversation.

On interview day you will have 3 separate 1:1 interviews. They will range from 15-30 minutes long. They are all relaxed in style but they still ask you some hard questions. Know the usual questions "why DO and why CUSOM" you will get asked those. Its an open file interview and the interviewers know your application. I felt one of the interviewers knew my application better than I did! It was kind of freaky but nothing bad. I felt like i crushed my first interview, my second went alright (he asked the hardest questions) and my third went slightly better than the 2nd. I had some doubts about some of my answers but they must have liked me because I got a call 2 days later saying I was in, NO WAITLIST. WOOT! One thing that is nice about CUSOM is that when somebody declines their acceptance they call the next person in line right away. I guess it worked out for me.

I am beyond happy. I have been trying to get into medical school for 5 years now. This was my third application cycle. The struggle was real. Don't give up on your dreams if it doesn't happen this year. Persistence is the name of the game in life. If you want something that badly than you will obtain it.

What would you consider to be difficult questions?

What would you consider to be difficult questions?
They asked me questions about a past grade. I wasn't expecting it. Threw me off guard I guess. It's really not that bad. Just know your application because they will know it very well

They asked me questions about a past grade. I wasn't expecting it. Threw me off guard I guess. It's really not that bad. Just know your application because they will know it very well

Thanks for the advice!

Declining my acceptance, really loved this school though.

Techguy, what made you deny your acceptance? Also, how long do you have to decide whether or not to accept their offer?

Was that two weeks to reserve a seat or two weeks to fully commit that you're entering the 2015 class?

Who would you consider least likely to be your role model was an interesting question on an interview

Who would you consider least likely to be your role model was an interesting question on an interview

That is an interesting question! It seems like the interview format varies widely with this school. I was simply asked about parts of my application. It was a very natural, back and forth conversation.

I plan on driving down from DC on the 15th and then back after the interview on the 16th. If anyone is also going to CUSOM then and would like to split the cost of a rental car, just let me know.

Any MS-1s or 2s that can comment on whether the purchasing of any textbooks is a necessity? Trying to be resourceful with the loan $$. It was mentioned on my interview day that MS-1s shouldn't purchase any, but I am curious as to whether this is true for MS-2, as well? thanks for the help!

Any MS-1s or 2s that can comment on whether the purchasing of any textbooks is a necessity? Trying to be resourceful with the loan $$. It was mentioned on my interview day that MS-1s shouldn't purchase any, but I am curious as to whether this is true for MS-2, as well? thanks for the help!
If you go to he Facebook group page, there are more students there. They've been super friendly and helpful to everyone. I'm pretty sure one of them said we don't need to buy books at all.

Any current students here on this page? I have some questions regarding the curriculum and housing.

I barely use the textbooks, but pretty much all of them are available online via the library.

Interviewing Feb 17th!! Anyone else that same day??

To the current students who don't read the book, how do you prepare for class/study?
I'm just wondering because I'm one of those people who like to read beforehand, but if it's going to be inefficient (or not as efficient as other methods), I'd like to know.

Has anyone been accepted to CUSOM without shadowing a DO? I've had a lot of medical volunteer/work experiences and have shadowed MD's but haven't shadowed a DO physician...

To the current students who don't read the book, how do you prepare for class/study?
I'm just wondering because I'm one of those people who like to read beforehand, but if it's going to be inefficient (or not as efficient as other methods), I'd like to know.
read the slides

Has anyone been accepted to CUSOM without shadowing a DO? I've had a lot of medical volunteer/work experiences and have shadowed MD's but haven't shadowed a DO physician...

I'm sure there have but campbell is SUPER excited about being osteopathic.....you're going to want to shadow one

Reactions: 2 users
I've had multiple acceptances including CUSOM and I never shadowed a DO. Just have a strong answer for why DO and any examples of how you've shown interest in being a DO

Reactions: 1 users

I think as long as you have a firm understanding of the difference between the MD and DO philosophy you will be ok. Yes, it does look great if you have actually followed a DO and have that hands on experience, but most of the places I interviewed also had the understanding that it could be difficult find a DO to shadow. It is not a make or break by any means I do not think.

Ok, yeah there are not many DO's around where I live and I haven't really had the time. Thanks for the help!!

Can any current students explain how 3rd/4th year rotations work at CUSOM? Is it possible to do rotations (including audition rotations) outside of North Carolina? How helpful is CUSOM with regards to arranging 3rd/4th year rotations? Thanks!

Can any current students explain how 3rd/4th year rotations work at CUSOM? Is it possible to do rotations (including audition rotations) outside of North Carolina? How helpful is CUSOM with regards to arranging 3rd/4th year rotations? Thanks!
Auditions yes, anywhere you want...but most if third year is scheduled

Hi, I just received a call from CUSOM, and they want to offer me an interview invitation. I am already accepted into TouroCOM, Middletown, NY and paid $2000 deposit. I am very interested in meeting the staffs at CUSOM. The problem is that I am financially on myself, and my expense is very limited. Traveling to CUSOM entails extra spending. I want to get some information about what prospect I could be offered at CUSOM V.S. TouroCOM. Please fill me with some information before I make up my mind and return the call. Hopefully, suggestion or comments from the current students are deeply appreciated. Thanks.