Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I visited Campbell last year as my grandparents and family live in nearby Dunn. I spoke with Oscar Harris (the mayor) to figure out what he could tell me about the school before I toured.

Let me just say that your Medical School is GORGEOUS. I came from having visited several other allopathic and osteopathic schools and was THOROUGHLY impressed by how much better Campbell's facilities were. Your simulated ER is second to none and the anatomy lab is incredible.

Congratulations to all of you. You should all be very proud to go there.

Who knows, I just might see you all in 2016.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I visited Campbell last year as my grandparents and family live in nearby Dunn. I spoke with Oscar Harris (the mayor) to figure out what he could tell me about the school before I toured.

Let me just say that your Medical School is GORGEOUS. I came from having visited several other allopathic and osteopathic schools and was THOROUGHLY impressed by how much better Campbell's facilities were. Your simulated ER is second to none and the anatomy lab is incredible.

Congratulations to all of you. You should all be very proud to go there.

Who knows, I just might see you all in 2016.
wow, you really have good connections. You was even able to have personal conversation with the mayor.

wow, you really have good connections. You was even able to have personal conversation with the mayor.

My family's been there for decades and the mayor shares my name. When I'm in town, I bring the population of people with the name Oscar up to 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally decided not to travel down and have the interview. Just called to turn down their interview invitation. Hope it goes to some of you still waiting for invitation. Good luck

Finally decided not to travel down and have the interview. Just called to turn down their interview invitation. Hope it goes to some of you still waiting for invitation. Good luck
I think your wallet will be happy you did so. Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck in your future endeavors. :)

Don't sweat it, you're going to be a doctor no matter where you go....live the dream

Anyone has a future interview date at this school (trying to figure out what the March interview dates are)? Also, trying to figure out if it's worth checking out. I have already been accepted to Nova and ATSU-KCOM and am interviewing at PCOM this week. Likely all higher on my list.

Was going to see if I can get a March interview date and try and decide if it's even worth going. Only thing that could sway me at this point is scholarship money (which seems unlikely from a newer school).

I put this school down in my primary app and only got an email saying they would review my profile and see if they would extend a secondary back in November. I still haven't heard back, but I didn't pursue it because I am applying to 10 other schools. However, seeing as I don't have any acceptances yet, I'm getting nervous. Do you guys it's worth calling to see if I can get a secondary or is it too late to have a realistic chance of getting in? (3.45cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 26)

just had our COCA site visit...no requirements found lacking

Reactions: 4 users
Signed my lease there the other day

Is it true that they are interviewing for wait list applicants? And did any spots before March open up for interview that someone recently dropped.

Is it true that they are interviewing for wait list applicants? And did any spots before March open up for interview that someone recently dropped.
Yes thats true, I asked admissions myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just declined my acceptance. Good luck!

I put this school down in my primary app and only got an email saying they would review my profile and see if they would extend a secondary back in November. I still haven't heard back, but I didn't pursue it because I am applying to 10 other schools. However, seeing as I don't have any acceptances yet, I'm getting nervous. Do you guys it's worth calling to see if I can get a secondary or is it too late to have a realistic chance of getting in? (3.45cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 26)
It never hurts to ask. I had a friend in high school that had all A grades and an excellent SAT score and he didn't get into a the state school he applied because they never reviewed his application. Don't quote me but I think they got like ~5000 applications. So just calling and saying hey I am still interested is a good idea. If you can send them an update letter as well.

I got an interview!! I'll be there March 2nd. Will I be good to be on a flight in Raleigh at 6 after my interview? All the spots going forward are for the waitlist.

I got an interview!! I'll be there March 2nd. Will I be good to be on a flight in Raleigh at 6 after my interview? All the spots going forward are for the waitlist.
I can't remember if they day ends at 3 or 5, but that sounds tight

Day ends at like 2, so you'll be fine.

My flight left at 5 afterwards and I had plenty of time. I was at the airport almost 2 hrs early.

Questions for the accepted:
1. I am currently trying to fill out my Immunization History form. I have dates of most of my vaccinations written on a card, except for a few that I need to salvage and still have to get. However, I doubt that can serve as a documentation for receiving those vaccinations. On the Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine Health and Immunization Requirements and Instructions, it says under every vaccinations something like "The student must submit [or have] documentation of receiving..."
What can serve as a documentation? I am an immigrant so there is no way I can go to my pediatrician (I don't even know who he/she is) to get my vaccination records.
I never had a "family/primary doctor". I am going to try to get some vaccination records from Patient First (got 1 or two from there) but that's pretty much it.
All of my MMR, Hep B, Varicella, Polio, DTaP, DTP,.... records aren't available (besides the dates). I am going to contact my state health department to see if they have a record of them but I'm not sure what else to do if they don't.

So I guess the question is, how can I go about getting the immunization records?

2. Since I was accepted before Dec 15th, my deadline for turning this form in is March 15th. However, if I can't get a hold of previous immunization records, I believe I'll have to get all the vaccinations again, which means I will go over the deadline. It says to contact them if forms cannot be turned in on time but I just wanted to know if others have asked for extension and to see if this will be a major problem. I am going to email them in a week if I cannot find my record. I really hope this isn't going to cost me my seat...
I was waiting for my new insurance to kick in so I was late to make doctor's appointment.

Questions for the accepted:
1. I am currently trying to fill out my Immunization History form. I have dates of most of my vaccinations written on a card, except for a few that I need to salvage and still have to get. However, I doubt that can serve as a documentation for receiving those vaccinations. On the Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine Health and Immunization Requirements and Instructions, it says under every vaccinations something like "The student must submit [or have] documentation of receiving..."
What can serve as a documentation? I am an immigrant so there is no way I can go to my pediatrician (I don't even know who he/she is) to get my vaccination records.
I never had a "family/primary doctor". I am going to try to get some vaccination records from Patient First (got 1 or two from there) but that's pretty much it.
All of my MMR, Hep B, Varicella, Polio, DTaP, DTP,.... records aren't available (besides the dates). I am going to contact my state health department to see if they have a record of them but I'm not sure what else to do if they don't.

So I guess the question is, how can I go about getting the immunization records?

2. Since I was accepted before Dec 15th, my deadline for turning this form in is March 15th. However, if I can't get a hold of previous immunization records, I believe I'll have to get all the vaccinations again, which means I will go over the deadline. It says to contact them if forms cannot be turned in on time but I just wanted to know if others have asked for extension and to see if this will be a major problem. I am going to email them in a week if I cannot find my record. I really hope this isn't going to cost me my seat...
I was waiting for my new insurance to kick in so I was late to make doctor's appointment.

You may have to have titers drawn. That will show you have immunity. And may be the easiest route.

I had to have a few drawn myself.

As far as an extension, if you just email or call the school I'm sure they will be understanding. And able to give you an extention.

Hi All, was just invited to interview at Campbell! However, the interview is only for the waiting list. My stats: 3.23s 3.49cum and 26MCAT.

Anyone have advice or input?

Hi All, was just invited to interview at Campbell! However, the interview is only for the waiting list. My stats: 3.23s 3.49cum and 26MCAT.

Do you/have you had any more interviews?

Do you have acceptances elsewhere?

When were your applications complete? (Did you apply early or late in the cycle)?

Do you/have you had any more interviews?

Do you have acceptances elsewhere?

When were your applications complete? (Did you apply early or late in the cycle)?
Yes, I have had one interview prior and another scheduled after. No acceptances as of yet. All of my secondaries were finished by mid December.

Yes, I have had one interview prior and another scheduled after. No acceptances as of yet. All of my secondaries were finished by mid December.

Interview can be an expensive experience. And for me personally I'm not sure if the wait list only option would be worth that expense. For me it personally wouldn't.

You may want to pass it up, and if you aren't accepted at where you've already interviewed or where your other interview is reapply but right when the cycle opens in June. And use the money that this interview would have cost you to pay for next cycles application fees.

That's just my opinion. But I'm not sure if you'd have to retake the MCAT for next cycle because of the changes for 2015.

Well. Hm. Interview for tomorrow may get a little interesting. If people are traveling and haven't seen in their email yet:

Good Morning Candidates,

Thank you for your continued interest in Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM).

As you may have heard we will be expecting some pretty bad weather tomorrow. Your safety is our top priority.

Before you travel to our campus please review the inclement weather policy and visit the main Campbell website for up to date information concerning the school's status.

* Campbell's Inclement Weather Policy: http://www.campbell.edu/about/campus-alerts/weather-policy/

* Campbell's Main Website: http://www.campbell.edu/

Tomorrow, if the school is operating on 1 hour delay, you will be expected to report at 8:30 AM. A 2 hour delay, 9:30 AM report time, etc.

If the school is closed on Tuesday, we will accommodate you on Wednesday 2/18 when the school re-opens.

If you wish to cancel or re-schedule your interview date please contact Jennifer Parrish at 910-893-1846 or Shatea McNeil at 910-893-7226 immediately.

Again, your safety is my top priority. Think before you travel and look at the Campbell website for status updates.

Well. Hm. Interview for tomorrow may get a little interesting. If people are traveling and haven't seen in their email yet:

Good Morning Candidates,

Thank you for your continued interest in Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM).

As you may have heard we will be expecting some pretty bad weather tomorrow. Your safety is our top priority.

Before you travel to our campus please review the inclement weather policy and visit the main Campbell website for up to date information concerning the school's status.

* Campbell's Inclement Weather Policy: http://www.campbell.edu/about/campus-alerts/weather-policy/

* Campbell's Main Website: http://www.campbell.edu/

Tomorrow, if the school is operating on 1 hour delay, you will be expected to report at 8:30 AM. A 2 hour delay, 9:30 AM report time, etc.

If the school is closed on Tuesday, we will accommodate you on Wednesday 2/18 when the school re-opens.

If you wish to cancel or re-schedule your interview date please contact Jennifer Parrish at 910-893-1846 or Shatea McNeil at 910-893-7226 immediately.

Again, your safety is my top priority. Think before you travel and look at the Campbell website for status updates.
School just closed till 11am, call them

School just closed till 11am, call them
Actually they just called a few minutes ago with that same info. Interviews may be pushed until Wednesday if the campus is closed tomorrow.

i recommend to go, you do not have acceptances as of yet. CUSOM is a fantastic school, however they are new so people who get accepted to "more reputable" schools may opt to drop their CUSOM acceptance. The interview is for the waitlist but what if you shine in the interview and move to the top of the list? Interviews are expensive but it will be more expensive applying as a re-applicant if you do not land an acceptance and the cost of 1 yr salary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You don't turn down interviews with no acceptances in your pocket

Reactions: 5 users
When can we call to see where we land on the waitlist? I know they mentioned something about March during the interview but i didnt catch it

When can we call to see where we land on the waitlist? I know they mentioned something about March during the interview but i didnt catch it
You could probably call now but keep in mind your placement could easily change with the next few interviews.

i recommend to go, you do not have acceptances as of yet. CUSOM is a fantastic school, however they are new so people who get accepted to "more reputable" schools may opt to drop their CUSOM acceptance. The interview is for the waitlist but what if you shine in the interview and move to the top of the list? Interviews are expensive but it will be more expensive applying as a re-applicant if you do not land an acceptance and the cost of 1 yr salary.
As far as my stats, what do you think my odds are?

You could probably call now but keep in mind your placement could easily change with the next few interviews.

Since I am on the waitlist, is there anything I can do to increase my chances or move up on the waitlist? Like a letter of intent etc

Since I am on the waitlist, is there anything I can do to increase my chances or move up on the waitlist? Like a letter of intent etc

Admissions told me that letters of intent are added to my app and considered with everything else, and I'm pre-interview. So being on the waitlist would grant you even more reason to do so.

As far as my stats, what do you think my odds are?
i think the odds are what you make of them, they invited you for an interview so they are interested and I have always viewed IIs as they believe you are capable but they want to see how you fit with their mission, your peers and see what kind of a person you are. go in there confident, assertive and give intelligent answers and i think you have a decent shot. best of luck, let us know what you decide!

Do they still have spots available?

Interviews as of now are for waitlist spots

Do you know if there are many waitlist spots?

My girlfriend sent her primaries in last fall while studying to re-take her MCAT, and they told her that she should let them know when she got a 7 or higher in verbal and they would send her a secondary. She got a great score this time.

I'm matriculating here next here, would love for her to be in the same year as me. Do you know how many people were taken off the waitlist spots last year?

Thanks!

Do you know if there are many waitlist spots?

My girlfriend sent her primaries in last fall while studying to re-take her MCAT, and they told her that she should let them know when she got a 7 or higher in verbal and they would send her a secondary. She got a great score this time.

I'm matriculating here next here, would love for her to be in the same year as me. Do you know how many people were taken off the waitlist spots last year?

Thanks!
I have no idea how much movement there was, sorry

Interviewed here this week, great school with awesome facilities. Told by Admissions that the the wait-list has 3 tiers - hi, mid, low.

Interviewed here this week, great school with awesome facilities. Told by Admissions that the the wait-list has 3 tiers - hi, mid, low.

That's what I heard too. I gotta call soon to see where I land. How big do you guys think this waitlist is?