Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I heard too. I gotta call soon to see where I land. How big do you guys think this waitlist is?
Joy told us she was not going to share that info, but she hoped to have ~150 on it at the end of the season.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told that as of 2 weeks ago that only 16 had been placed on the waitlist, and a couple had been pulled off of it, as their are a couple acceptances out that will not deposit.

I just called and emailed to cancel my interveiw next tues on the 24th due to my dcom acceptance, I hope one of you wonderful people get it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that as of 2 weeks ago that only 16 had been placed on the waitlist, and a couple had been pulled off of it, as their are a couple acceptances out that will not deposit.

I just called and emailed to cancel my interveiw next tues on the 24th due to my dcom acceptance, I hope one of you wonderful people get it.

Just curious, where did you get that information from?

Got accepted off the WL last week! :woot: So fortunate and grateful to have an acceptance here. Will definitely be putting the deposit down because the interviewers, the students, and the facilities were all impressive and made me feel welcomed. Also, they mail you a cool Campbell Medicine t-shirt that makes the acceptance seem very official. :D :thumbup: Love NC and love this school!

Good luck, everyone! If you were put on the WL within the past couple of weeks, you have a great shot at getting in.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got off the waitlist yesterday! Pros/Cons of CUSOM vs. ACOM?

Congrats to those coming off waitlist!

Last edited:
Got accepted off the WL last week! :woot: So fortunate and grateful to have an acceptance here. Will definitely be putting the deposit down because the interviewers, the students, and the facilities were all impressive and made me feel welcomed. Also, they mail you a cool Campbell Medicine t-shirt that makes the acceptance seem very official. :D :thumbup: Love NC and love this school!

Good luck, everyone! If you were put on the WL within the past couple of weeks, you have a great shot at getting in.

Did CUSOM let you know by phone or mail?

Just got off the waitlist yesterday! Pros/Cons of CUSOM vs. ACOM?

Congrats guys!!! When do you guys interview and when we're u waitlisted?!

Congrats guys!!! When do you guys interview and when we're u waitlisted?!

I interviewed on 1/27 for a wait list spot, got on the list and pulled off via call then email on 2/19.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 1/27 for a wait list spot, got on the list and pulled off via call then email on 2/19.

After your interview did you submit any additional update letter, letter of intent, or additional letters of rec?

After your interview did you submit any additional update letter, letter of intent, or additional letters of rec?

I did not. Well about a week after receiving notification that I was on the waiting list, I emailed Joy (as she said) and told her I was still interested.
Submitted my deposit today...is there a thread for accepted students looking for housing?

I did not. Well about a week after receiving notification that I was on the waiting list, I emailed Joy (as she said) and told her I was still interested.
Submitted my deposit today...is there a thread for accepted students looking for housing?
Facebook page and mattie will send you a link to the housing guide

Interviewed here today for a position on their waitlist and I was very impressed with their facilities. Great building and all the technology, not to mention and that everyone was extremely friendly. 3.5 cGPA, 30 MCAT, hoping to hear good news.

Has anyone completed the FAFSA? I was using the ID number that CUSOM gives on their financial aid page. Is this the same number that Campbell uses for the undergrad college as well as the med school? Is there a way to designate med school on FAFSA? There doesn't seem to be one.

Has anyone completed the FAFSA? I was using the ID number that CUSOM gives on their financial aid page. Is this the same number that Campbell uses for the undergrad college as well as the med school? Is there a way to designate med school on FAFSA? There doesn't seem to be one.
It's the same as the undergrad college

Interviewed yesterday for a spot on the waitlist. This school is my top choice! Hope to get a spot in the class

Most probably canceling my March 9th interview soon !! Got into other schools don't feel it is Right to take someone else's waitlist spot good luck =)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone,
To CUSOM current 2nd year. How did you guys get assigned clinical rotations sites? Which facilities are available for you at the moment?
Is CUSOM planing on opening other residency programs.
Thank for your input.

Hello everyone,
To CUSOM current 2nd year. How did you guys get assigned clinical rotations sites? Which facilities are available for you at the moment?
Is CUSOM planing on opening other residency programs.
Thank for your input.
We ranked our top clinical campuses 1-5, and then that was put into a computer optimization program to try and match people to as many top choices as possible. We all ended up matching into either our first or second choice (so it worked out great for most people). So it was basically random (which I thought was fair), the clinical campuses were: Raleigh, Fayetteville, Charlotte, Lumberton, and Goldsboro (but I am told that they will be adding more campuses for the following years). These clinical campuses each have a few hospitals within the region that you will rotate through. I heard that they are opening many more residencies (possibly 100 spots or so) in various specialties at Presby in Charlotte. They also plan to open EM at Lumberton soon. I have heard whispers of gen surg and ortho at Lumberton as well but no official word on that.

We ranked our top clinical campuses 1-5, and then that was put into a computer optimization program to try and match people to as many top choices as possible. We all ended up matching into either our first or second choice (so it worked out great for most people). So it was basically random (which I thought was fair), the clinical campuses were: Raleigh, Fayetteville, Charlotte, Lumberton, and Goldsboro (but I am told that they will be adding more campuses for the following years). These clinical campuses each have a few hospitals within the region that you will rotate through. I heard that they are opening many more residencies (possibly 100 spots or so) in various specialties at Presby in Charlotte. They also plan to open EM at Lumberton soon. I have heard whispers of gen surg and ortho at Lumberton as well but no official word on that.

Personally would love to see EM or Gen Surg residencies.

Personally would love to see EM or Gen Surg residencies.
I'm pretty sure EM at Lumberton is highly likely to happen based on what they have told us, and we should get an official announcement about that one soon. Gen surg they have talked about at both Lumberton and Presby in Charlotte, but we haven't heard much in regards to how likely that is to happen or when it will occur.

I'm pretty sure EM at Lumberton is highly likely to happen based on what they have told us, and we should get an official announcement about that one soon. Gen surg they have talked about at both Lumberton and Presby in Charlotte, but we haven't heard much in regards to how likely that is to happen or when it will occur.

I've heard rumors of the Gen Surg in passing here and there. And I'm pretty sure in some of the reading I've done and in literature they've put out they talk of the lack of General Surgeons in NC in general. And that has always gotten my hopes up of them starting a GS Residency...

Thank for quick feedback; however, When you say Raleigh, do you mean Wakemed and or Rex Hospital?

TheFuture_22,

Which is your first two choices and why? If I may ask.

Thank You TheFuture_22
I am applying this coming cycle. Can I PM you for specific questions?

The dean has told me that they are working on general surgery residency slots

TheFuture_22,

Which is your first two choices and why? If I may ask.
1st Raleigh 2nd Fayetteville, basically because they have the two best hospitals in my opinion (both are 600-700 bed hospitals). In the future, there is talk of having rotations at Presby in Charlotte for future classes. If they already had Presby as a rotation site, I maybe would have chosen Charlotte number 2.

How do you think the interview went?
I think it went very well! Very relaxed... although everyone was a little wound up because of the snow. I think the school may have been closed these past couple of days so I'm not sure when I will hear anything....

Got an email from Joy regarding waitlist status....High tier!!! Really hope I get accepted!!!

Yea just got the email for wait list as well. High Tier as well! best possible option. Interviewed this past Tuesday 2/24

Post interview rejection :(
Same, but that's okay. I think the feeling was pretty mutual. They weren't a good fit for me. I didn't like that they were sponsored by Chick-fil-A and the impersonal way they referred to the donors as cadavers. First patient or donor gives them more respect. I think it was a great decision on their part in my case, but I am sorry for your case.

Same, but that's okay. I think the feeling was pretty mutual. They weren't a good fit for me. I didn't like that they were sponsored by Chick-fil-A and the impersonal way they referred to the donors as cadavers. First patient or donor gives them more respect. I think it was a great decision on their part in my case, but I am sorry for your case.

Sponsored by chikfila? You mean because we have one on campus?

Chick-fil-A is a Silver level donor on the wall.

Sponsored by chikfila? You mean because we have one on campus?
Yeah, I was about to say. Don't a ton of schools have a Chik-fil-a? We're not unique.

I don't get the whole referring to the donors as cadavers thing either. We call them both. They are donors and cadavers, and we show them as much respect as any other school. We have a ceremony before cutting and one after with donors' families when we're all done with dissection. Semantics.

Chick-fil-A is a Silver level donor on the wall.
You are surprised that a corporation with a franchise location on property donated to a new building that would bring more customers? That's a negative to you?

You are surprised that a corporation with a franchise location on property donated to a new building that would bring more customers? That's a negative to you?

Didn't the Family Dollar guy donate a huge chunk of money for starting up CUSOM, too? Is that also... "suspect"... or.... ??? Where else would the money come from? Also... how many schools/companies/etc. in North Carolina were built on (gasp) tobacco money? :rolleyes:

Sorry to be poking around this thread as I turned down Campbell awhile ago, but I really loved the school when I interviewed and it's hard for me to imagine the interview day putting a bad taste in someone's mouth!