Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine

ESSAY QUESTIONS: Please answer the following questions and limit your responses to 2,000 characters (approx 300 words).

1. What five qualities do you feel you bring to CUSOM that would enhance the overall climate of our school? How do these qualities meet the CUSOM mission?

2. Osteopathic medicine parallels allopathic medicine but has principles and practices that are distinct. Which of these principles and practices are of greatest interest to you and why?

3. Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?

4. Have you ever been enrolled in a medical school? Yes No If YES, where and when?

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

First post! I am a OOS regular applicant. My application is submitted, and verified, I just need to send my LOR directly to the school when I get my secondary.

First post! I am a OOS regular applicant. My application is submitted, and verified, I just need to send my LOR directly to the school when I get my secondary.

Hey man, congrats on getting verified! Why don't you just upload the letter on aacomas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man, congrats on getting verified! Why don't you just upload the letter on aacomas?
The only way to get a letter on aacomas is to send a request to the authors directly from aacomas. I have all of my letters at FAUs pre health professions office. After contacting aacomas, they said I would have to send the letters directly to the schools like in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm not mistaken I read on the CUSOM homepage to send the letters directly to the school as well...

Reactions: 1 users
current student here.....if you have questions you'd like answered, tag me and I'll post the replies here for everyone.

Couple of requests though to save time....
no "do I have a chance"
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know our averages
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know how rotations are going

anything else is fair game to ask

Reactions: 5 users
current student here.....if you have questions you'd like answered, tag me and I'll post the replies here for everyone.

Couple of requests though to save time....
no "do I have a chance"
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know our averages
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know how rotations are going

anything else is fair game to ask

Lol I understand! Thank you for offering some help :) I was planning on applying early without an mcat score. However, I was wondering if that puts me at any advantage if I'm not going to be looked at anyways...should I do it anyways or just wait until 2 weeks before July mcat score release and include more shadowing/volunteering hours?!

Also, I read through the mission of cusom to get an impression, but but what is their main emphasis during interviews? What are they looking for? Thanks in advance!!!

I would always submit earlier rather than later...in all situations

The school is very particular about promoting osteopathic approaches and wants to train people for NC

I would always submit earlier rather than later...in all situations

The school is very particular about promoting osteopathic approaches and wants to train people for NC

Do you mind me asking how many shadowing/volunteering hours you had? I have about 70 of both and shadowed DOs only..I'm a non traditional applicant.

Litsen to what SB247 has to say!

Do you mind me asking how many shadowing/volunteering hours you had? I have about 70 of both and shadowed DOs only..I'm a non traditional applicant.

I'm matriculating as an MS1 in August. I'm a non traditional also.

I had about 50 hours with a DO, 50 hours with an MD, plus a few other informal meeting with DOs totaling around 6 hours.

If there are any questions I can answer for you I'd be happy to.

I was in the same ballpark as you both for ec-s

Members don't see this ad :)
Litsen to what SB247 has to say!

I'm matriculating as an MS1 in August. I'm a non traditional also.

I had about 50 hours with a DO, 50 hours with an MD, plus a few other informal meeting with DOs totaling around 6 hours.

If there are any questions I can answer for you I'd be happy to.

Perfect! Thank you luvshok and sb247!! Seeing that people apply with hundreds of shadowing/ volunteering experience was kind of intimidating :) I don't have as much clinical experience and made that decision pretty late after working in a completely different field. So I'm not sure if that will count against me? I mean, there are people who wanted to be a doctor their whole life and prepared themselves over the course of YEARS!! Not sure if I can compete with that.. How did you decide on medicine Luvshok? Was your previous career in a medical field as well? Feel free to pm me :) thank you all for your support and help, it keeps my hopes up!!

How did you decide on medicine Luvshok?

Honestly, it was something I've wanted since I was young. Been surrounded by it my while life.

I'm happy for you that it all worked out! I hope my dream will become a reality as well. :) at least I'm working hard on it!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, I'm excited to apply to CUSOM this cycle! I have a quick question for those ready to submit their primary to AACOMAS this month.

Campbell requires you to withhold applications to all other schools if you apply this early, is that what you guys are doing/is that what students did last year?

Campbell is my first choice, but I think it's important not to put your eggs all in one basket and the sooner I apply, the greater my chances will be...I don't want to have to hold on to my applications for Rowan, LECOM, etc. until Sept 30th...Any advice?

Campbell requires you to withhold applications to all other schools if you apply this early, is that what you guys are doing/is that what students did last year?

you sure about that? that would be a very new policy....any links?

http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/admis...-requirements/early-decision-admission-track/

The early admissions track is for applicants submitting an app before July 1. Scroll down and you'll see the part about withholding other apps until Sept. 30.

That's new. I like my school, I'm really happy here. But I would never advise anyone to delay all of their applications until late september. If you were my brother/sister I would tell you to forget the early admission track and hit submit the first day you can on all the schools you are applying to.

And they aren't saying you can't hit submit now......you just can't be in the early track without going through those extra rules. It's not like their email stops working, you'll just sit on the stack until they deal with the regular decision folks.

That's new. I like my school, I'm really happy here. But I would never advise anyone to delay all of their applications until late september. If you were my brother/sister I would tell you to forget the early admission track and hit submit the first day you can on all the schools you are applying to.

And they aren't saying you can't hit submit now......you just can't be in the early track without going through those extra rules. It's not like their email stops working, you'll just sit on the stack until they deal with the regular decision folks.

My application is ready to go, I'm tempted to just submit to a few schools but still write a letter of intent to Campbell anyway. Do you think that is acceptable?

My application is ready to go, I'm tempted to just submit to a few schools but still write a letter of intent to Campbell anyway. Do you think that is acceptable?

Do you appreciate people lying to you? Handle the little things with integrity and the big things come easier

Do you appreciate people lying to you? Handle the little things with integrity and the big things come easier

No, I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was I will apply now, and write a letter of intent to let the admissions committee know that Campbell is my first choice. I wasn't planning on applying to many schools and then tell Campbell that I want the Early decision.

No, I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was I will apply now, and write a letter of intent to let the admissions committee know that Campbell is my first choice. I wasn't planning on applying to many schools and then tell Campbell that I want the Early decision.

ahhhhh...that is much different. By all means go for it. Sorry for the confusion

another current student here! willing to answer any questions with @sb247 :)

I have a few questions for the current students if you have the time...

1. Who conducted the interviews? Admissions committee, teachers, other? If there was one thing in the interview that you felt gave you a bit of an edge, what was it?
2. What's your opinion on the surrounding area? Do you feel that students not originally from the region have a disadvantage in being accepted? If you're not from the South specifically, I would like to know what it was like adapting to the location. Do most of your fellow students live in town, or commute from farther away?
3. What is the general consensus on the medical missions?
4. If you have visited other medical schools, how does CUSOM's labs, facilities, rooms, stack up?

1. Who conducted the interviews? Admissions committee, teachers, other? If there was one thing in the interview that you felt gave you a bit of an edge, what was it?
2. What's your opinion on the surrounding area? Do you feel that students not originally from the region have a disadvantage in being accepted? If you're not from the South specifically, I would like to know what it was like adapting to the location. Do most of your fellow students live in town, or commute from farther away?
4. If you have visited other medical schools, how does CUSOM's labs, facilities, rooms, stack up?
1. faculty/administraion
2. I like the rural south, students come from all over the country though. Most students live right around campus or in fuquay
3. lots of trips happen, most are tied with religious groups but you aren't required to be religious
4. building is nicer, anatomy/omm are much nicer, cafe is ok, fitness facilities are lacking

@sb247

___I___I___
___I_X_I___
___I___I___

It wouldn't do the bottom right from my phone.

1. For my interview, I had only faculty interview me, but I know a lot of my classmates had interviews with the administration.
2. The surrounding area is very quiet. I'm not from the South, and I didn't feel that I faced any disadvantages in being accepted. It took some getting used to not having as many conveniences and to being in a less populated area, but I adjusted pretty quickly. It helps that most of the my time I spend studying at the school or at my place, which is pretty close to the school. I'd say it's about a 50/50 split in our class for where everyone lives. I live closer to the school, which I really enjoy since I like to sleep in ;), but there are a lot of people farther out in Fuquay, Raleigh, Holly Springs, etc.
3. A lot of students go on mission trips, and I'd say there are a lot of secular and religious opportunities.
4. CUSOM as a building won hands down compared to all of the other schools that I've ever seen. It definitely ruined it for all of the other interviews I went on after CUSOM. It's just so beautiful and new! But as sb247 said, the fitness facility isn't great, and there isn't a huge cafe. The cafe also isn't open late. I go to a local gym though, and since I live close to the school, I just go home for food.

Submitted! Good luck to everyone!

Sorry that I've been asking so many questions...but having current students to talk to is a really awesome resource, so if you don't mind I have a few more ...

What's the preparation for the comlex like? How much time does Campbell give you to study before you have to take it? Is the preparation for it essentially just self-guided? If/when the averages are released, does that information stay internal or is it like available to the public?

Sorry that I've been asking so many questions...but having current students to talk to is a really awesome resource, so if you don't mind I have a few more ...

What's the preparation for the comlex like? How much time does Campbell give you to study before you have to take it? Is the preparation for it essentially just self-guided? If/when the averages are released, does that information stay internal or is it like available to the public?
We have a few professors that write for the boards (anatomy/genetics/micro that I'm aware of) and tests are timed/written "board style". All students take a 3 week kaplan course as part of our curriculum, you can opt out of it if your assesment are >600comlex. Then we have about 6wks of free time to study and take the exam before 3rd year. We are taking official assesments as early as first month of ms2 to let us see where we are. Most schools don't release scores, I imagine we'll follow suit

Hey guys! Quick question...this is my first time applying and I see on CUSOM homepage that we can have our professors send the letters directly to the schools. But do we still have to use interfolio or not? I'm a little confused... :bucktooth:

Hey guys! Quick question...this is my first time applying and I see on CUSOM homepage that we can have our professors send the letters directly to the schools. But do we still have to use interfolio or not? I'm a little confused... :bucktooth:

I just used interfolio, It was just easier for me.

Thank you!! I have to research interfolio...no idea what that is lol

It does a few different things. But you can send requests to the people who you've asked to write you your LoRs and they can in turn upload them to interfolio. That way they are all in one place. Then you can send them to the schools as a neat package instead of having the letter writers send them each individually.

It's an alternative to having you Pre-heath advisory committee do it.

An alternative also is that as of this cycle I believe AACOMAS has implemented a system to do the same thing. Although I've read a few spots it's currently a bit buggy.

It does a few different things. But you can send requests to the people who you've asked to write you your LoRs and they can in turn upload them to interfolio. That way they are all in one place. Then you can send them to the schools as a neat package instead of having the letter writers send them each individually.

It's an alternative to having you Pre-heath advisory committee do it.

An alternative also is that as of this cycle I believe AACOMAS has implemented a system to do the same thing. Although I've read a few spots it's currently a bit buggy.

Yeah I just checked their homepage. This is great! I was already worried about having to bother my professors with this. Thanks guys :) And btw..@luvhock and @sb247 you guys are great! Thank you so much for being here

Just got verified. Submitted 06/02 9pm, verified 06/12 1230pm

Yes, you guys are always extremely helpful! Can't thank you enough!!

I have a question: my twin brother got in to campbell last cycle but he eventually declined the offer and went with another school. Do you think I will be negatively viewed by the admission committee?

I have a question: my twin brother got in to campbell last cycle but he eventually declined the offer and went with another school. Do you think I will be negatively viewed by the admission committee?

This is my first time applying as well, so I don't have an expert answer to this. But common sense tells me it wouldn't make much sense to view you negatively based on a decision your brother made..twin or not- you are two independent individuals...so I don't think you should have to worry about that. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong here

I doubt that anyone would even notice.

Last year I believe they recieved 5000+ applications.

And on another note. Part of the admissions/acceptance process is looking for a good fit. The school give acceptances to those who they feel are a good fit. But it's a two way street. Just because the school sees you as a good fit doesn't mean that you see the school in the same way.

So they really can't hold anything against you for not taking the acceptance, and even less when it was your brother and not yoh.

Is he fraternal or identical?
If identical- instant rejection ;)

I'm sure this doesn't matter, chillax

Puttin in an app this year, love the school! Good luck everyone!

Is he fraternal or identical?
If identical- instant rejection ;)

I'm sure this doesn't matter, chillax

Identical:eek:, there is a chance that they will recognize me if I get invited to the interveiw... Oh well hopefully I can get in.

Identical:eek:, there is a chance that they will recognize me if I get invited to the interveiw... Oh well hopefully I can get in.
I was just messing with you! I'm sorry if I freaked you out! If someone does say something say that was your brother, it happens all the time and laugh it off... But I doubt they will recognize you! Don't worry, it'll work out

I have another question for @Luvshok and @sb247.. What do the first and second year curriculums look like? What is the class schedule and do you get enough time for independent study?