Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted as well :) Looks like we were on a lucky end of the conference room table.

Congrats guys. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in Buies Creek next year.

Which one were you? to my right?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations everyone! Hope to have the chance to interview here. How did everyone like the surrounding area?

*Excitement for interview intensifies*

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations everyone! Hope to have the chance to interview here. How did everyone like the surrounding area?

The actual town the school is in is very small, but there are nice surrounding towns and Raleigh is about an hour away. Overall the area is pretty nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview Invite on 9/8

OOS Nontrad 506 MCAT 3.6 science gpa.

Congrats to all accepted and invited !

Anyone interviewing on the 8th with me?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

It's nice. If you're used to big urban areas, then you might think that it's too quiet...but I'm from suburbia so I like it. Plus, Fuquay is like 15 minutes away and it has everything you could ever need (including the biggest WalMart I've ever seen). From what the current students said, the area is safe as well.

It's nice. If you're used to big urban areas, then you might think that it's too quiet...but I'm from suburbia so I like it. Plus, Fuquay is like 15 minutes away and it has everything you could ever need (including the biggest WalMart I've ever seen). From what the current students said, the area is safe as well.

Sounds like a nice place from what you and @mathnerd have said and what I've read elsewhere. I was raised in a rural town so I'm used to the only large store being a Walmart lol. Congrats on the acceptance!

Congrats on all the acceptances!! :) Were the interview questions more general or specific about certain parts of your applications?

Congrats on all the acceptances!! :) Were the interview questions more general or specific about certain parts of your applications?

Both. You'll get questions specific to your application AND general questions. Be natural in your responses and just be prepared what to say. There will be some questions that you may not have heard of before.

Be quick on your feet. You can't be prepared for every single question. I think that's what some interviewers are looking for. Of course, YMMV. I had two easygoing interviewers and my last one threw many curveballs at me. I passed all of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, i thought the interviews were extremely relaxed. Just the typical few questions... the majority of it, to me at least, seemed to be me asking them questions and not the other way around. Dont stress

Honestly, i thought the interviews were extremely relaxed. Just the typical few questions... the majority of it, to me at least, seemed to be me asking them questions and not the other way around. Dont stress

It depends on your interviewer. There were 8 interviewers and you get 3 of them. You may get a harder interviewer or an easier one. My first interview lasts 25 minutes, my second lasted 15 minutes and the last one lasted more than 30 minutes and I was last going back to the conference room because Joy had to cut the interview short.

Both. You'll get questions specific to your application AND general questions. Be natural in your responses and just be prepared what to say. There will be some questions that you may not have heard of before.

Be quick on your feet. You can't be prepared for every single question. I think that's what some interviewers are looking for. Of course, YMMV. I had two easygoing interviewers and my last one threw many curveballs at me. I passed all of them.

It was MMI with each of those interviewers being 1:1 correct?

It was MMI with each of those interviewers being 1:1 correct?

That depends on the interviewer. Some of them were very conversational.

The key to the interview at this school is to really express interest in this school and that you are willing to live in that area. Many of the interviewers were concerned about how you fit well with the school.

My interviews lasted 25 minutes, 15 minutes, and more than 30 minutes, respectively. The last one was so long that I was last back to the conference room with all the other interviewees and Joy had to tell my interviewer to cut it short.

That depends on the interviewer. Some of them were very conversational.

The key to the interview at this school is to really express interest in this school and that you are willing to live in that area. Many of the interviewers were concerned about how you fit well with the school.

My interviews lasted 25 minutes, 15 minutes, and more than 30 minutes, respectively. The last one was so long that I was last back to the conference room with all the other interviewees and Joy had to tell my interviewer to cut it short.

Thanks. Just to clarify I meant were your interviews just you and one evaluator and you did 3 of those or was it panel style with just one interviewing session with 3 evaluators?

Thanks. Just to clarify I meant were your interviews just you and one evaluator and you did 3 of those or was it panel style with just one interviewing session with 3 evaluators?

Basically, all of us sat in a conference room, and then one by one the different interviewers took us into a private room to interview us one on one. After 30 minutes, they bring us back to the conference room and another interviewer would pick one of us again. This happened for three cycles because you have three different interviewers.

So some of the interviewers would have already interviewed with someone in your group by the time you interview with them.

Basically, all of us sat in a conference room, and then one by one the different interviewers took us into a private room to interview us one on one. After 30 minutes, they bring us back to the conference room and another interviewer would pick one of us again. This happened for three cycles because you have three different interviewers.

So some of the interviewers would have already interviewed with someone in your group by the time you interview with them.
Thanks!!

If I would give advice to anyone, I would say to be confident! Show them that you're human and not just a robot with good grades and a good MCAT. Be personable.

In my first interview we talked about fishing for literally 25 minutes. If you get the "Who are you?" question try to mention some of your hobbies, it could lead to a more conversational interview. My first interview was not an interview at all, it was just a conversation about fishing and I treated it as such lol.

EDIT: By the way, you totally should STILL fully prepare for the interview. Know your application inside and out, know your essays, read your personal statement again, know your research like the back of your hand, think of ways that the people that wrote your letters of rec have inspired you etc. My interviews were pretty relaxed, but you absolutely need to have all your ducks in a row before you walk through the front door for the occasional serious question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
If I would give advice to anyone, I would say to be confident! Show them that you're human and not just a robot with good grades and a good MCAT. Be personable.

In my first interview we talked about fishing for literally 25 minutes. If you get the "Who are you?" question try to mention some of your hobbies, it could lead to a more conversational interview. My first interview was not an interview at all, it was just a conversation about fishing and I treated it as such lol.

My first interview was pretty similar. I think I spent about 20 out of the 30 minutes discussing family life. I actually only had one interviewer who really focused on why medicine/why DO/ETC.

Interview scheduled for 9/28....congrats to everyone else already accepted :)

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone been interviewed or accepted despite a low mcat? I'm taking it on 9/11 and I'm already freaking out. I'm trying to calm myself down...not worried about my GPA but scared of this monstrous exam :scared:

Has anyone been interviewed or accepted despite a low mcat? I'm taking it on 9/11 and I'm already freaking out. I'm trying to calm myself down...not worried about my GPA but scared of this monstrous exam :scared:
what's low?

I guess anything below their cutoff.. I wonder if they screen you out if you have a high GPA but a low mcat..

I got accepted with a ~500 MCAT and mediocre GPA, but I've seen quite a few people with anything lower than that (I believe a 498 is what someone stated they were sort of screening out) get screened out.

I got accepted with a ~500 MCAT and mediocre GPA, but I've seen quite a few people with anything lower than that (I believe a 498 is what someone stated they were sort of screening out) get screened out.
Thank you, @ipseama ! I'm scoring well on the practice tests I have taken so far (TPR) but I'm not sure how good of an indicator that will be for the real deal. Ugh... I know this is a question for a different forum but can I ask you real quick how you felt about it? Was it harder than the old one?

Received an Interview Invite today!

Reactions: 6 users
II email and I'm super excited! Hope to see some of you there!! I am under 25 as well- what did people do about renting cars?

Last edited:
II email and I'm super excited! Hope to see some of you there!! I am under 25 as well- what did people do about renting cars?

Does anyone know if they post their college/course catalog online? If so, could you provide a link?

Does anyone know if they post their college/course catalog online? If so, could you provide a link?
The med school one is in the student section of the med school website....i'm on my phone so I'm trusting you are capable of finding it

The med school one is in the student section of the med school website....i'm on my phone so I'm trusting you are capable of finding it

Do you happen to know when CUSOM selects people for the scholarships? Do you have to put in the deposit before they will consider you?

I am also curious about notification of scholarships.

Cancelling my interview here (accepted to my first choice school). Hope one of you gets to use my spot!

How long did it take you all to receive the secondary? I got the application received on the 17th. Nothing since then..

Accepted here! Came into the interview with this school being lower on my list of schools to attend... Left the interview blown away and super excited. Going to be tough to beat this school. They just had their act together. Only 2 things I am worried about 1. new school so no match lists 2.attendance policy. I would like the option to study at home if need be. Other than that. Great atmosphere and facilities. Faculty and staff were awesome too... Plus there is a sweet golf course next door with discount rate ($25) for students to play... Heck of a deal!

Accepted here! Came into the interview with this school being lower on my list of schools to attend... Left the interview blown away and super excited. Going to be tough to beat this school. They just had their act together. Only 2 things I am worried about 1. new school so no match lists 2.attendance policy. I would like the option to study at home if need be. Other than that. Great atmosphere and facilities. Faculty and staff were awesome too... Plus there is a sweet golf course next door with discount rate ($25) for students to play... Heck of a deal!
Not to be that guy but the attendance policy is enforced...you need to make sure you are cool with. We have a few students who are constantly on edge about the policy and it's an extra stress in their life

If anyone that's interviewing tomorrow is would like to meet up tonight to practice interview message me. This is my top choice for school and I wanna make sure I'm ready!

Not to be that guy but the attendance policy is enforced...you need to make sure you are cool with. We have a few students who are constantly on edge about the policy and it's an extra stress in their life

Yeah I totally agree, definitely something I am taking into account when making decisions (have had 2 interviews and as of now still have 7 more)... How do you feel about it being a student there?... Is it annoying at all for you to always go to class or do you find it valuable? I could go either way with the mandatory attendance... I feel like it could be a good thing if class/lecture time is used well and your actually learning, forces you to be engaged. Plus you get to know your classmates better being at school all day. On the other hand I don't want to be a month in and annoyed because I feel like I could use my time better on my own self studying/learning... Hard to tell because I'm not sure how I will feel with the material and structure of medical school.

Yeah I totally agree, definitely something I am taking into account when making decisions (have had 2 interviews and as of now still have 7 more)... How do you feel about it being a student there?... Is it annoying at all for you to always go to class or do you find it valuable? I could go either way with the mandatory attendance... I feel like it could be a good thing if class/lecture time is used well and your actually learning, forces you to be engaged. Plus you get to know your classmates better being at school all day. On the other hand I don't want to be a month in and annoyed because I feel like I could use my time better on my own self studying/learning... Hard to tell because I'm not sure how I will feel with the material and structure of medical school.
I have a reflexive dislike for anything mandatory, but they were upfront about the deal and I took it. They let me be a doctor and in light of that I'll survive any rule they want to hand out. I'm happy with my school.

Did anyone who has been accepted get an email about the scholarship essay? Still waiting on that.