Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm interviewing here tomorrow! The area is rural but it's definitely live able. Gorgeous homes behind the golf course and grocery stores and a Walmart less than 10-15 min away. And if you like quiet communities and out door activities (I do) then I think many will like this school. Also hiked up to Hanging Rock today since I came a day early and it was GORGEOUS. My question though is are the interviews one on one? I know there are three consecutive interviews but was wondering about their format.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm interviewing here tomorrow! The area is rural but it's definitely live able. Gorgeous homes behind the golf course and grocery stores and a Walmart less than 10-15 min away. And if you like quiet communities and out door activities (I do) then I think many will like this school. Also hiked up to Hanging Rock today since I came a day early and it was GORGEOUS. My question though is are the interviews one on one? I know there are three consecutive interviews but was wondering about their format.
three 1v1 interviews

They were 3 one on one interviews, out all my interviews this cycle (5 to be exact), this was my last interview and probably the easiest one ever, they were really low stressed for me, and i treated it like a conversation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why so many seem to withdraw? I've seen the same happen in last years thread..I think this is an awesome school!

Hey everyone! So I have my interview Tuesday but i'm leaving tomorrow. Is there any good places you would recommend to hike? Are French Cuffs acceptable for this interview? And any good places to watch some sports for the evening? Thanks!

Hey everyone! So I have my interview Tuesday but i'm leaving tomorrow. Is there any good places you would recommend to hike? Are French Cuffs acceptable for this interview? And any good places to watch some sports for the evening? Thanks!
2.5 hours away is Hanging Rock National Park. Just hiked it today. So pretty and worth the drive and 2.6 mile hike!

Does anyone know why so many seem to withdraw? I've seen the same happen in last years thread..I think this is an awesome school!

People usually withdraw because they got into their top choice school. This school gives out acceptances very early in the cycle (many of them OOS,) and as those accepted started getting into other schools, they will withdraw their acceptance from here.

CUSOM seems like an amazing school, and I even got the Dean's Scholarship here. I just prefer to be IS near my family, and want a school that offers more research opportunities. This school was number 3 out of all the schools I got accepted to, behind RowanSOM and CCOM. I put this school ahead of LECOM-E and LECOM-B.

Last edited:
People usually withdraw because they got into their top choice school. This school gives out acceptances very early in the cycle (many of them OOS,) and as those accepted started getting into other schools, they will withdraw their acceptance from here.

CUSOM seems like an amazing school, and I even got the Dean's Scholarship here. I just prefer to be IS near my family, and want a school that offers more research opportunities. This school was number 3 out of all the schools I got accepted to, behind RowanSOM and CCOM. I put this school ahead of LECOM-E and LECOM-B.

That makes perfect sense! Research opportunities is something I'm looking for too. I'm from NC so my whole family is here. Plus, I don't know if that has been discussed already, but I wonder how likely it is to get into more competitive specialties. This school is awesome, but it is still new..that makes me lean more towards a more established program :/

That makes perfect sense! Research opportunities is something I'm looking for too. I'm from NC so my whole family is here. Plus, I don't know if that has been discussed already, but I wonder how likely it is to get into more competitive specialties. This school is awesome, but it is still new..that makes me lean more towards a more established program :/

From my experience in my interviews and from speaking with others, the school does push you towards primary care. It is after all, its mission statement. However, they're not going to stop you from going into specialties.

It was also my concern how new this school was, so I decided to hold off this school in favor of more established programs with good rotations. It was truly a difficult decision to make, and I agonized over this for weeks, especially when tuition for me at this school was going to be around $35k a year compared to CCOM's $64k a year.

From my experience in my interviews and from speaking with others, the school does push you towards primary care. It is after all, its mission statement. However, they're not going to stop you from going into specialties.

It was also my concern how new this school was, so I decided to hold off this school in favor of more established programs with good rotations. It was truly a difficult decision to make, and I agonized over this for weeks, especially when tuition for me at this school was going to be around $35k a year compared to CCOM's $64k a year.
I see! That's a big difference. But after all, you're making a decision that will impact the rest of your life so... I get it!

I see! That's a big difference. But after all, you're making a decision that will impact the rest of your life so... I get it!

Yeah. I decided to wait on RowanSOM, and they ended up accepting me right before the CUSOM deposit was due (my scholarship required me to submit deposit by November 1 but they extended it to November 6.) I felt very lucky that this happened, so it made my decision very simple.

Raven Rock is like 30 min away, I think, and quite nice. There is also various lakes in the area, including Lake Wheeler and Lake Johnson, both in Raleigh about 1 hour from the school and both quite nice to walk around, not really a hike though. Umstead State Park is in Raleigh and great area.

Sports wise, there are plenty of bars in Raleigh itself - anywhere near NC State will have a decent crowd too. Fuquay is closer and has Aviator and Draftline (and a few others I don't know offhand), although neither are really sports bars...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I decided to wait on RowanSOM, and they ended up accepting me right before the CUSOM deposit was due (my scholarship required me to submit deposit by November 1 but they extended it to November 6.) I felt very lucky that this happened, so it made my decision very simple.
You were quite lucky! :)

Giving serious consideration to joining Army Researve. I wonder how other students at CUSOM who are military have found their time at the school.

how does a school push one towards primary care?

Also, does CUSOM have any affiliation with the research triangle or any opportunities/connections there?

Also, does CUSOM have any affiliation with the research triangle or any opportunities/connections there?

I didn't do much research on this, but it is their mission. It could be that they required longer primary care rotations, and will more likely establish connections with primary care residencies.

No, it doesn't have any affiliation with the research triangle when I asked about them at my interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Close to zero research opportunity here. It was spelled blatantly to me by all three of my interviewers.

ouch. They'd catapult to one of the top schools if they established that connection (I think)...

Usually the schools affiliated with the state university have lots of research (MSUCOM, DMU, RowanSOM, etc)

Usually the schools affiliated with the state university have lots of research (MSUCOM, DMU, RowanSOM, etc)

DMU focusing on research is a recent trend. It is a similar pattern among older DO programs since research is becoming a necessity for students to match into higher-end specialties.

This has probably been asked so many times already but what does the residency matching list look like? I know the first year did very well, but considering that there are a few more (and prestigious ) schools like duke and unc in the same area...I wonder how/where they matched.

This has probably been asked so many times already but what does the residency matching list look like? I know the first year did very well, but considering that there are a few more (and prestigious ) schools like duke and unc in the same area...I wonder how/where they matched.

They haven't graduated a class yet, so no match list. You'll have to wait until next year to see their first match list.

I didn't do much research on this, but it is their mission. It could be that they required longer primary care rotations, and will more likely establish connections with primary care residencies.

No, it doesn't have any affiliation with the research triangle when I asked about them at my interview.

I actually don't think they push you very hard towards primary care, but they are always stressing the need for more docs in NC during speeches and such. That does also include general surgeons though. The Family Medicine club is also the most established club in the school, but that is largely because our student population is such that a lot of people want to do primary care. But plenty of people don't want to do primary care at all, and it's obviously not a big deal.
ouch. They'd catapult to one of the top schools if they established that connection (I think)...

As for research, it's here if you look hard enough for it - there are a few people who have gotten involved in research already. But it's not that prevalent because again, a lot of our students want to do primary care, mission trips, service, whatever, and prefer that over research. And the school doesn't really want you to get involved in ECs during the first block because they want you to get settled in first (grades first then everything else type of thing - understandable, but annoying). You can also set up summer REUs at the various other schools in the area - NCSU is the closest, but you can try Duke and UNC as well. Basically, research is not non-existent here, and it's possible to do and get published, but you're going to have to seek out the opportunities for yourself, they won't land in your lap like at many other schools.

Oh ok! I thought that already happened. :/

It'd be in the schools best interest imo to associate, if possible, with the research triangle.

I actually don't think they push you very hard towards primary care, but they are always stressing the need for more docs in NC during speeches and such. That does also include general surgeons though. The Family Medicine club is also the most established club in the school, but that is largely because our student population is such that a lot of people want to do primary care. But plenty of people don't want to do primary care at all, and it's obviously not a big deal.

As for research, it's here if you look hard enough for it - there are a few people who have gotten involved in research already. But it's not that prevalent because again, a lot of our students want to do primary care, mission trips, service, whatever, and prefer that over research. And the school doesn't really want you to get involved in ECs during the first block because they want you to get settled in first (grades first then everything else type of thing - understandable, but annoying). You can also set up summer REUs at the various other schools in the area - NCSU is the closest, but you can try Duke and UNC as well. Basically, research is not non-existent here, and it's possible to do and get published, but you're going to have to seek out the opportunities for yourself, they won't land in your lap like at many other schools.

It'd be in the schools best interest imo to associate, if possible, with the research triangle.

My heart was so set on trying to get in here. But the more research, the more doubts :( I think my biggest concern is cost vs. possibilities for residency afterwards. It looks like this school is offering great rotation sites. I'm just not so sure about residencies..

My heart was so set on trying to get in here. But the more research, the more doubts :( I think my biggest concern is cost vs. possibilities for residency afterwards. It looks like this school is offering great rotation sites. I'm just not so sure about residencies..

Do you have any acceptances anywhere else? I think you should focus on getting into any school you can first.

Do you have any acceptances anywhere else? I think you should focus on getting into any school you can first.
I agree! I also applied to wake forest, I have a good feeling about it!

Just double checking- All of the CUSOM 3rd/4th year rotations are in North Carolina, right?
Are students expected to do residencies in NC as well?

Withdrew my acceptance from here today. Good luck to all in their upcoming interviews.

I need to submit my December schedule request for work by tomorrow. Do you think they'd mind if I contacted them concerning my II scheduling?

I need to submit my December schedule request for work by tomorrow. Do you think they'd mind if I contacted them concerning my II scheduling?
I noticed you were extended an II offer. Congrats! Have they already called to schedule an appointment? If not I don't see why not. They were all very nice at the interview so I'm sure if you called and explained you'd get a nice person on the phone as well.

No, they haven't contacted me about scheduling my II date yet. I call them tomorrow in the afternoon. I suspect they had a busy time this Monday and Tuesday since they interview on those days. Thanks for the advice! :)

No, they haven't contacted me about scheduling my II date yet. I call them tomorrow in the afternoon. I suspect they had a busy time this Monday and Tuesday since they interview on those days. Thanks for the advice! :)

I was offered an II 10/2. Was waiting for them to call me but decided to call and scheduled on 10/26. I will PM you the person I called :) I called the Friday before and was told to call the person in charge of the interview schedule directly

I was offered an II 10/2. Was waiting for them to call me but decided to call and scheduled on 10/26. I will PM you the person I called :) I called the Friday before and was told to call the person in charge of the interview schedule directly
Thanks!

Does anyone know if a Facebook group has been created yet??

Were the people that interviewed this week told that decisions will come on Friday? That's what our group last week was told, but I'm hoping they may start them earlier! I'm so anxious to hear back! Hopefully we all get good news! =)

For the MS1 and MS2 at CUSOM, what are the best areas for housing in the area? I've heard of apartment complexes in Faquay, but I'd rather be close to the institution for at least the first year.
Thanks in advance!

I interviewed here on 9/15 and was accepted 9/17. Just paid my deposit!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just double checking- All of the CUSOM 3rd/4th year rotations are in North Carolina, right?
Are students expected to do residencies in NC as well?
All rotation sites are in NC. Obviously they want people to stay in NC - it's literally in their mission statement - but they have no control over where you apply for residency, so it's a moot point.

For the MS1 and MS2 at CUSOM, what are the best areas for housing in the area? I've heard of apartment complexes in Faquay, but I'd rather be close to the institution for at least the first year.
Thanks in advance!
There are a lot of houses for rent in the area (3bdrm for $900~ or around there) that you can get with a roommate, or just by yourself. There are also a number of apt complexes in Lilington itself (Campus Habitat, Campbell Pointe, and several more), as well as housing available in the nearby Angier, Coats, etc. There are people in my class living in almost every town bordering Lilington and going up to Raleigh, in Raleigh itself, as well as on the south side towards Fayetteville (cheaper, but not as nice). There are plenty of options.

is printing free here?
You have a $50 stipend for printing per semester (2 blocks). It's $0.15 for color pages and $0.05 for black/white pages. Past that $50, you will need to pay for your own printing.

anyone with a recent II been contacted to schedule for the actual interview?

anyone with a recent II been contacted to schedule for the actual interview?
They have not contacted me. I decided to call the admission office this morning instead. I told them that I needed to let my manager know ahead of time to take off from work. They were very nice and understanding about my situation. I was able to register for the interview on December 15th.

Reactions: 2 users