Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hola! for those of you who have received a secondary, is your official MCAT score posted on your application?

thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
mathnerd88 and SOOyC52H1Sof

thank you very much! :)

Applied a few weeks ago and just got this email: "Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks."

Is this the same old "hang on, we'll send you a secondary in a few days" email worded super strangely or is this something different?

Applied a few weeks ago and just got this email: "Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks."

Is this the same old "hang on, we'll send you a secondary in a few days" email worded super strangely or is this something different?

I'm not admissions staff but I think this is the one that means "it's not an immediate move on to the next stage but we aren't rejecting you....we're going to have some more folks look this over so don't give up hope yet".......

What are your stats?

Hey! I got the same exact email today :(
My GPA is higher than yours, but my MCAT is significantly lower, so I am kinda worried as well.

Hey! I got the same exact email today :(
My GPA is higher than yours, but my MCAT is significantly lower, so I am kinda worried as well.

I wouldn't be too worried, they want the money that comes with the secondaries so I feel like they'll send it anyway

I read through the thread from last year, and someone else received this message as well. If I recall, it's a good thing, not a bad thing.

I'm not sure. I never got that email and got a secondary right away without that "in-depth review." It may just mean that you are on the borderline of what they consider to be competitive.

You'll probably get a secondary, but still, that email would probably not make me feel good about my chances. The guy who got that same email last year only had a 24 MCAT.

Last edited:
Based on some of the emails people are getting it looks like CUSOM pre-screens pretty heavily, not based solely on MCAT/GPA. Can anyone confirm this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure. I never got that email and got a secondary right away without that "in-depth review." It may just mean that you are on the borderline of what they consider to be competitive.

You'll probably get a secondary, but still, that email would probably not make me feel good about my chances. The guy who got that same email last year only had a 24 MCAT.
u instate?

I never found out exactly what it was. But, I got a secondary a few weeks after the fact and was subsequently invited for an interview. I wouldn't stress about it.

I sincerely doubt that. I had very competitive stats and got the same email when I applied (as did quite a few other people from my year-- stats for those who received said email (that I spoke with) were all over the place).

u instate?

No. I'm from NJ. No ties to NC at all, and no family there.

I sincerely doubt that. I had very competitive stats and got the same email when I applied (as did quite a few other people from my year-- stats for those who received said email (that I spoke with) were all over the place).

How do you explain some people not getting that email while others did? I got my secondary without that email. Some have already been rejected.

Doesn't this mean that you're not consistent and maybe one or more aspects of your application is not competitive, and they need to re-evaluate you? I'm not saying your chances are shot, I'm just saying that maybe there is something in your application that is causing them to further review your application.

What were your stats?

Last edited:
How do you explain some people not getting that email while others did? I got my secondary without that email. Some have already been rejected.

Doesn't this mean that you're not consistent and maybe one or more aspects of your application is not competitive, and they need to re-evaluate you? I'm not saying your chances are shot, I'm just saying that maybe there is something in your application that is causing them to further review your application.

What were your stats?

I agree. I also got the secondary without that email.

No. I'm from NJ. No ties to NC at all, and no family there.

What were your stats?
I have no idea why I got it but I ended up getting over a dozen iis when I applied so I'm sure consistency had nothing to do with it.

Still waiting for the secondary. At least they got my MCAT scores. :(

Still waiting for the secondary. At least they got my MCAT scores. :(

Still waiting for a secondary here as well. And waiting for my MCAT scores to cross over. So much fun.

An year ago, I just in all of your shoes. And now, I'm 1 month out from orientation.

Any advice for us neurotic applicants?

I have already posted above, but relax and take a deep breath. It's going to be a long process.
While I love (that word is a bit strong since I haven't even started class) the school, there are many other good schools out there. Just because you don't get an interview or an acceptance here doesn't mean you aren't meant to be a physician.
Relax and do everything on your part that you have to do. Submit primary on time, write secondaries (proof read your secondaries like your personal statement), get a good attire for interviews, and study up on the schools you are interviewing.
Don't feel so down because everyone else is getting their secondaries now or anything else. Everything takes time and your application is different from someone else's.
I submitted my app in late June, turned in my secondary in July or August, interviewed in Nov, and got accepted 3-4 days after the interview.
It all takes time. Submit your app and do something else to keep your mind off. As difficult as that might sound right now, you can do it. I did it. If someone like myself made it, you will too.

I have already posted above, but relax and take a deep breath. It's going to be a long process.
While I love (that word is a bit strong since I haven't even started class) the school, there are many other good schools out there. Just because you don't get an interview or an acceptance here doesn't mean you aren't meant to be a physician.
Relax and do everything on your part that you have to do. Submit primary on time, write secondaries (proof read your secondaries like your personal statement), get a good attire for interviews, and study up on the schools you are interviewing.
Don't feel so down because everyone else is getting their secondaries now or anything else. Everything takes time and your application is different from someone else's.
I submitted my app in late June, turned in my secondary in July or August, interviewed in Nov, and got accepted 3-4 days after the interview.
It all takes time. Submit your app and do something else to keep your mind off. As difficult as that might sound right now, you can do it. I did it. If someone like myself made it, you will too.

thanks.

Hey guys! I filled out my application but I'm hesitant to hit "submit" yet...maybe you all have some good advice for me. I have a graduate 3.8 sc and 4.0 non sc masters degree (3.5 overall) but still have to take orgo, bio and inorg chem prerequisites. Should I still submit it now or wait until I have at least the fall grades in? I'm taking the MCAT in September. (about 70 hours shadowing and same hours clinical volunteering; 400+ teaching and research experience as well) I don't want to apply late but at the same time I wonder what would they evaluate without those numbers?? I don't want to get a rejection right off the bat. Do I even stand a chance for a secondary without all prerequisites and MCAT? Any advice would be helpful!! :)

Submit....the only way to know for sure you are slowing down is to not submit

You are probably right, @sb247 uggh So scared lol Do you know if they give out secondaries prior to receiving MCAT scores?

You are probably right, @sb247 uggh So scared lol Do you know if they give out secondaries prior to receiving MCAT scores?
I submitted my app before taking my mcat last year and I didn't receive a secondary until they received my score, FYI

Thank you @cdistel I figured that'll happen in my case too. Secondary app would be a waste of money and their time if you bomb the MCAT afterall....

@cdistel do you mind sharing you stats and ECs? Feel free to pm me if you don't feel comfortable posting here.. :)

@cdistel do you mind sharing you stats and ECs? Feel free to pm me if you don't feel comfortable posting here.. :)
3.6cgpa,3.51 sgpa, 3.76 pharm gpa, 28 mcat

Ecs-big brother big sister mentor, manna food bank both longer than a yr, 20k hrs of clinical exp, research in undergrad, 50ish hours of shadowing.

Hope that helps, best of luck

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!!! :)

current student here.....if you have questions you'd like answered, tag me and I'll post the replies here for everyone.

Couple of requests though to save time....
no "do I have a chance"
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know our averages
our first class is taking their comlex1 right now, so no I don't know how rotations are going

anything else is fair game to ask

Sorry @sb247 , but I was wondering if I could ask you how rotations are going. Class of 2017 is in the midst of their rotations according to the link below. Thanks!
http://www.campbell.edu/news/item/m...third-year-rotations-with-simulation-medicine

They are doing their sim month and head out to the hospitals in july (as I understand it)

Why does this school heavily prescreen like this? Isnt this a relatively new school? Its odd for a new school to have such stringent prescreening. I didnt apply here, but I'm just curious.

Why does this school heavily prescreen like this? Isnt this a relatively new school? Its odd for a new school to have such stringent prescreening. I didnt apply here, but I'm just curious.
>5000 applications last year...

hey! quick question!
for question 3 "Have you submitted an application to another medical school within the last two years? If so, to what medical school(s) did you apply, and what improvements have you made to your application? Have you ever applied to CUSOM?"

If I only submitted primaries to MD schools 2 years ago but canceled them and never sent in any secondaries, should I still put all of those schools down? or are they really interested in true re-applicants?
Thanks!

received secondary just now. Question;

*Which best describes your past level of volunteering within healthcare related fields?- Is this including shadowing/internship? Or would this not be included.

*Which best describes your past level of volunteering within healthcare related fields?- Is this including shadowing/internship? Or would this not be included.

..interesting... Unless I missed something, I can't recall seeing that question within the secondary app someone else posted last week.

..interesting... Unless I missed something, I can't recall seeing that question within the secondary app someone else posted last week.
this totally offtopic, but I always read your post with Sheldon's voice in my head lol

still waiting on the secondary :(

I don't remember that question being on the secondary

this totally offtopic, but I always read your post with Sheldon's voice in my head lol

still waiting on the secondary :(
That actually made me laugh out loud :D

Got my secondary yesterday :) Not sure if this had anything to do with it but my official MCAT scores were posted yesterday as well.

Got my secondary yesterday :) Not sure if this had anything to do with it but my official MCAT scores were posted yesterday as well.
Probably, because I called today to ask if they process apps without scores and was told they don't. Your app is kept on hold until they receive your scores.

I got the "in-depth review" email today. I'm hoping this pans out as a good thing as mentioned above. Definitely one of my top choices.