Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I already signed the offer of admission, can I still change my mind?

Yes, you can still withdrawal your acceptance, even after you've signed the offer of admission. I believe the only thing that happens is you'll not get your deposit back, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can still withdrawal your acceptance, even after you've signed the offer of admission. I believe the only thing that happens is you'll not get your deposit back, but I could be wrong.
Thanks buddy.

Accepted off the wait list yesterday. Thank you @Sava91 for your seat! Can't wait to be a part of this family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off the waitlist today!! Extremely happy to become a CUSOM medical student :)))

How did everyone like accepted student day. I couldn't make it unfortunately.

I just turned down my acceptance to CUSOM this morning because I have an acceptance closer to home at KCOM. It was tough to do because of the incredible school and people that are at CUSOM. I genuinely encourage 2017 applicants to apply here because of how great their school was. I hope my seat goes to one of you!

I just turned down my acceptance to CUSOM this morning because I have an acceptance closer to home at KCOM. It was tough to do because of the incredible school and people that are at CUSOM. I genuinely encourage 2017 applicants to apply here because of how great their school was. I hope my seat goes to one of you!

Well, Thanks for jumping ship lol :) I Just got the call from Joy. I'm off the waitlist!!

Accepted Student's day was amazing! I am so glad that I made the choice that I did with Campbell. I rejected my acceptance of PCOM Philadelphia and LECOM for CUSOM because I truly believe in this school and its potential. The environment in which you are surrounded at Campbell is just amazing and the support system is amazing. Board prep is the best hands down I've seen compared with other schools. The faculty and staff at Campbell truly want you to succeed. The number of residencies affiliated with CUSOM will climb even higher in the future as there are a good amount of residencies already established (dermatology was just recently affiliated with CUSOM).. One of a few DO schools that have a student run clinic. The list just goes on..

Honestly, I can not wait to begin as a MS-1 in the fall..

CUSOM leading the way!!
http://www.aacom.org/cosgp/i-am-a-do-student/awards/curriculum-award

Out of curiosity, does anyone have an idea how many people are typically on the waitlist?

Was very fortunate to get the acceptance call Friday! I can't wait to be apart of the CUSOM family!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in the "High Tier" on the waitlist. Anyone have any idea how many people have been pulled off the high tier in the past? Congrats to those who have been accepted; hopefully I'll be joining you in the fall

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been any movement on the wait list that any of you know of?

Here's a question for current upperclassmen...

It seems to be a trend in some DO schools that being interested in non-primary care specialties is "looked down upon". For example, one of my friends is currently finishing up her third year (at another school, not CUSOM) and she's interested in a surgical specialty, but unfortunately feels that the clinical rotations coordinator at her school isn't fully supporting her decision.

In her words, her school prefers primary-care specialties and she believes that the department of clinical affairs isn't putting the effort forth to get her hooked up with more surgical electives or a good Sub-I for next year.

My question is; how is Campbell treating those students that are inevitably leaning more towards non-primary care fields? I know that in fourth year at Campbell you're required to do 2 med selectives and only 1 surgical selective, but do you forsee it being difficult to land multiple surgical rotations for those four elective rotations?

What have you heard, if anything, about the experiences of upperclassmen pursuing non-primary care fields? Any anecdotal evidence is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't receive a weekly waitlist email today. Did any one else receive one?

I guess I'm late to the party. Interviewed for a wait list spot back in late March got accepted about 3 weeks ago before wait list rankings came out. Accepted the offer and completed matriculation items.

Anyone a former collegiate athletes? Looking for possible roommate(s) with similar interests outside of being a new medical student.

I guess I'm late to the party. Interviewed for a wait list spot back in late March got accepted about 3 weeks ago before wait list rankings came out. Accepted the offer and completed matriculation items.

Anyone a former collegiate athletes? Looking for possible roommate(s) with similar interests outside of being a new medical student.

Check out the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690459411189351/
I think you will have better luck posting there about needing a roommate.

Which gyms are available to students? I see there is a carter weight room that looks nice online but is that the athletes room only ?

Hey guys! Just declined my acceptance here. Hope my seat goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Question for current students. How much money per year would you say you spend on books?

Last edited:
Any one recommends the cambell smp program. Did they talk about it in your tour.

I'm trying to decide where to apply next year, so can some of you guys that were accepted share your stats so I can see where I stand or if I should apply here? :)

I have a 3.7 GPA and I've taken the MCAT 3x, with highest and most recent score being 501.

Were there any applicants in this thread that decided to go the route of the early decision program? I saw where some didn't because they thought it too risky yet applied the normal route and still got in. I'm applying next year and this is def my top choice so if anyone participated in the EDP I'd love to hear about your experience

Just trying to determine if I should do it that way or go the normal route

GPA should be around a 3.6, cumulative and science. EXCELLENT LOR's. One being a NY Times bestselling author. Have yet to take the MCAT. Volunteer hours will be close to 500 at that point...

Were there any applicants in this thread that decided to go the route of the early decision program? I saw where some didn't because they thought it too risky yet applied the normal route and still got in. I'm applying next year and this is def my top choice so if anyone participated in the EDP I'd love to hear about your experience

Just trying to determine if I should do it that way or go the normal route

GPA should be around a 3.6, cumulative and science. EXCELLENT LOR's. One being a NY Times bestselling author. Have yet to take the MCAT. Volunteer hours will be close to 500 at that point...
If it slows down your app anywhere else, I would never recommend early decision programs. They really only make sense if you aren't applying anywhere else at all

If it slows down your app anywhere else, I would never recommend early decision programs. They really only make sense if you aren't applying anywhere else at all

Being a lifelong NC resident, I really don't want to go anywhere else. Plus I've developed a good relationship with some of the faculty and recruiting staff at the school. Absolutely love it

I've got a very short list of other schools I'd consider going to, but CUSOM is by far at the top. I plan on sending my application the day AACOMAS opens up next year so maybe it makes sense? I was planning on applying super early anyway...

But worst case scenario, I think you could still send off your application to other schools in September so it may set it back by just a bit

Lots to consider

Here's a question for current upperclassmen...

My question is; how is Campbell treating those students that are inevitably leaning more towards non-primary care fields? I know that in fourth year at Campbell you're required to do 2 med selectives and only 1 surgical selective, but do you forsee it being difficult to land multiple surgical rotations for those four elective rotations?

What have you heard, if anything, about the experiences of upperclassmen pursuing non-primary care fields? Any anecdotal evidence is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It is true most DO schools emphasize the importance of primary care. However, Campbell will in no way hold you back from doing something else. The chair of surgery is an MD who last worked with UNC and also Duke. He understands what it takes to get in those residencies, and will do all he can to help. I know a student going into 4th year who is doing 5 rotations at Ortho programs across the country. Most rotations have good opportunities in most specialties, and if not you can set something up elsewhere easily.

Does anyone know how much the waitlist is moving? I am sitting in the "high tier" and I am wondering if anyone has been called off of it recently.

Does anyone know how much the waitlist is moving? I am sitting in the "high tier" and I am wondering if anyone has been called off of it recently.

I'm in the same position as you, and I'm also wondering the same. If anyone has recently been accepted off the waitlist please reply to this thread! :)

Anyone else not receive the Waitlist email this week? Did anyone not receive a confirmation email last week you replied to that waitlist email? I haven't received either. I am wondering if I should email Joy.

Anyone else not receive the Waitlist email this week? Did anyone not receive a confirmation email last week you replied to that waitlist email? I haven't received either. I am wondering if I should email Joy.

I didnt get an waitlist email this week either. I did not get a confirmation email for last weeks waitlist email. :/ don't know what is going on

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

I'm trying to decide where to apply next year, so can some of you guys that were accepted share your stats so I can see where I stand or if I should apply here? :)

I have a 3.7 GPA and I've taken the MCAT 3x, with highest and most recent score being 501.

Being a lifelong NC resident, I really don't want to go anywhere else. Plus I've developed a good relationship with some of the faculty and recruiting staff at the school. Absolutely love it

I've got a very short list of other schools I'd consider going to, but CUSOM is by far at the top. I plan on sending my application the day AACOMAS opens up next year so maybe it makes sense? I was planning on applying super early anyway...

But worst case scenario, I think you could still send off your application to other schools in September so it may set it back by just a bit

Lots to consider
Most early decision programs will not allow you to apply anywhere else until they've made a decision on your app. I wouldnt (and a lot of other users would not) reccomend it as admissions is still a crap shoot for applicants with good/competitive stats.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Any current CUSOM students that either just finished their first year (rising M2) or their second year that might see this... Would you mind sharing what got you good results from a time management/study habits point of view?
I'm preping for the upcoming year and wondering how I should plan my time to maximize my studying.
Thanks!!!

Any current CUSOM students that either just finished their first year (rising M2) or their second year that might see this... Would you mind sharing what got you good results from a time management/study habits point of view?
I'm preping for the upcoming year and wondering how I should plan my time to maximize my studying.
Thanks!!!
- Put everything in google calendar or make your own calendar of some kind. Until you have a good routine, plan EVERYTHING, including eating and travel time and stuff like that. Seems silly, but when you remove the stress of deciding what to do, it makes it easy to just do it instead.
- Plan your meals and cook in bulk so you can eat healthy + save time/money. Learn some crockpot recipies, pasta or race recipes, how to bake chicken (you can make like 6 breasts or thighs at a time), etc.
- Include exercise!! Even a short walk every couple of days will help you keep a clear mind.

Notes on study habits...
- Start with the study methods that worked for you in undergrad... when those inevitably fail, don't be afraid to change to something new. Be willing to change and to take risks.
- Don't get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Don't ignore them, just don't be afraid to just do you, even if other people don't think it will work.
- You can always cram OMM - don't waste time on it otherwise (unless you love it).

Really, you'll figure it out once you get there. Looking forward to having you on campus!

- Put everything in google calendar or make your own calendar of some kind. Until you have a good routine, plan EVERYTHING, including eating and travel time and stuff like that. Seems silly, but when you remove the stress of deciding what to do, it makes it easy to just do it instead.
- Plan your meals and cook in bulk so you can eat healthy + save time/money. Learn some crockpot recipies, pasta or race recipes, how to bake chicken (you can make like 6 breasts or thighs at a time), etc.
- Include exercise!! Even a short walk every couple of days will help you keep a clear mind.

Notes on study habits...
- Start with the study methods that worked for you in undergrad... when those inevitably fail, don't be afraid to change to something new. Be willing to change and to take risks.
- Don't get caught up in what everyone else is doing. Don't ignore them, just don't be afraid to just do you, even if other people don't think it will work.
- You can always cram OMM - don't waste time on it otherwise (unless you love it).

Really, you'll figure it out once you get there. Looking forward to having you on campus!
Thanks for the very helpful advice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

With deep regret I have withdrawn from my spot at CUSOM. The facilities and organization of CUSOM trumped every school I interviewed at, but in the end, being close to home was more important to me. I hope one of you gets my spot!

For those of you wondering, I spoke with Joy yesterday and she said one or two spots had opened up, so the waitlist is still moving. Best of luck to everyone who wishes to go here, too!

Just got accepted this morning. I was on the high tier, excited to be apart of the CUSOM family!

Reactions: 2 users
Is mid-December too late to apply? Due to circumstances I am unfortunately going to be applying later than sooner. I'm wondering if I would even have a shot if I apply this late (although the deadline technically is March 1st). Thoughts?

Is mid-December too late to apply? Due to circumstances I am unfortunately going to be applying later than sooner. I'm wondering if I would even have a shot if I apply this late (although the deadline technically is March 1st). Thoughts?
Are yountalking about getting your AACOMAS primary app submitted by December or getting a secondary submitted by then?
That's late to get a primary submitted but not out of the realm of possibilities. The class might be full by early January so you'd presumably be interviewing for a wait list spot. Even so, the wait list is very mobile and if you're conpetitve than you have a shot!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Are there any more high tier individuals on the waitlist? Haven't seen any movement lately on this thread. I'm in the middle tier.