Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just mentioned the schools I applied to last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you @Luvshok ! :) but I was also wondering if community college classes are as well accepted as university classes by Campbell admissions? I've read on sdn that some schools don't really take them seriously..

I've got community college on my resume

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Love this school! Working on my secondary now... Good luck to everyone applying!

I'm so confused why I haven't received a secondary yet... I got the "we are looking at your stuff" email two weeks ago...
does anyone know if they need LORs before sending out secondaries? My LORs we just submitted last week :/

Quick question. I just got an e-mail saying that my application was put on hold, so what does that mean for me as an applicant?

I'm so confused why I haven't received a secondary yet... I got the "we are looking at your stuff" email two weeks ago...
does anyone know if they need LORs before sending out secondaries? My LORs we just submitted last week :/

I'm in the same boat and my letters have been in for weeks.

They don't need your letters of recommendation before sending secondaries, I received my secondary and submitted it before I had even one letter submitted.
I'm in the same boat and my letters have been in for weeks.
Quick question. I just got an e-mail saying that my application was put on hold, so what does that mean for me as an applicant?

I was verified 7/2. Has anyone gotten secondaries who was verified around then too?

Just got an II!!!! So Excited!!

Reactions: 5 users
II as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
when were you verified ? I would just send them an email asking about the secondary

I was verified in late June. I think the 28th. I got 2 under review emails. I might send them one today because it's been almost 3 weeks since the last one.

I was verified in late June. I think the 28th. I got 2 under review emails. I might send them one today because it's been almost 3 weeks since the last one.

Let me know what they say and I'll do the same!!

The last email I received from them. Do I have to send letters via aacomas or are they directly sent once they uploaded to aacomas via interfolio?

Please be advised that your secondary application and application fee have been received by Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. You can expect an updated status in the near future once your complete application has been verified.

Just as a reminder: two letters of recommendation are required. One will need to be from either a D.O. or a M.D. and one from a premedical advisor, prehealth committee or science faculty member (Ph.D.) who instructed you in a science course. Both letters are required for your application to be considered as complete - there are no exceptions. All letters must be signed and submitted on official letterhead. They can be submitted via ACCOMAS, Interfolio, Virtual Eval, or mail. Please view our “Application Instructions” on the Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Medicine website for additional information on Letters of Recommendation.

For additional information, please visit: http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/

The last email I received from them. Do I have to send letters via aacomas or are they directly sent once they uploaded to aacomas via interfolio?

Please be advised that your secondary application and application fee have been received by Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. You can expect an updated status in the near future once your complete application has been verified.

Just as a reminder: two letters of recommendation are required. One will need to be from either a D.O. or a M.D. and one from a premedical advisor, prehealth committee or science faculty member (Ph.D.) who instructed you in a science course. Both letters are required for your application to be considered as complete - there are no exceptions. All letters must be signed and submitted on official letterhead. They can be submitted via ACCOMAS, Interfolio, Virtual Eval, or mail. Please view our “Application Instructions” on the Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Medicine website for additional information on Letters of Recommendation.

For additional information, please visit: http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/
i received the same email, a while back.... i emailed them 2 weeks ago asking if i was complete. They said that i was and should receive a complete email in the "near future"... that was 1 week ago, and i still haven't received the email...

i received the same email, a while back.... i emailed them 2 weeks ago asking if i was complete. They said that i was and should receive a complete email in the "near future"... that was 1 week ago, and i still haven't received the email...

Yea I also received that email 2-3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting on the complete email.

I just got my secondary today! I also received the in-depth review emails for those wondering. Very excited about this school, one of my top choices!

Congrats to those who got IIs!

Should I send in a letter of interest if my application got put on hold post-secondary? Or should I give it some more time?

Yay! II as well! I'm really excited!!! 31MCAT, 3.89cGPA, 3.86 sGPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yes, but Campbell is one of my top choices. I love how the recruiter made me feel like a valuable applicant. It's rare to feel like a medical school actually WANTS you to come there. On top of that, there are a couple scholarships that I'm hoping to apply for. I really like CUSOM and I sincerely hope it works out for us all!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an IS applicant. AACOMAS verified 6/12/15. Secondary submitted 7/6/15. II on 7/28/15. The email says they will contact me within 2 weeks to set up the interview. I am very excited to interview and look forward to meeting with those who will be interviewing the same day. Good luck to everyone throughout the application cycle. This school is very close to home, so I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed!

My Postbac school is draaaaggggiing their feet with my committee letter, it's really holding me up! Congrats and good luck on the II!

Hi everyone. Maybe I should start a separate post, but I figured I'd get better responses talking with all of you that have experience with CUSOM already. I am a junior and have taken 4 pre-reqs, and still need the to take the rest of them. I did not start my undergrad wanting to go to med school, so I have only recently started working on the requirements. I am wondering if you need to have all the pre-reqs complete to apply...how did you all gauge whether you were ready to apply or whether to wait and have a gap year? I don't want to waste time (I'm almost 30, so I would like to apply and go to med school right after I graduate), but I also want to be the most prepared so that I have great chances of getting in. I have a 3.85 right now, and I have taken Bio 1, Chem 1, both Englishes, and A&P 1 so far. I have some volunteer experience, and will be gaining a lot more over the next year. Campbell is by far my top choice because I want to work in primary care in rural NC, but I'm worried I should wait until the summer after I graduate to apply (spring/summer 2017 instead of my senior summer of 2016). I have a connection with an MD to start shadowing soon, hopefully in a few months, but I have not taken the MCAT....thought it would be best to wait until I take more sciences. Do you think it would be more beneficial to apply next year with things pending, or to wait until I graduate and spend my senior year and year after really focusing on shadowing/ more volunteer work, and have more time to take MCAT? I will have 2 more pre-med courses done by the end of next spring that are not pre-med related-I'm taking 5 classes per semester of other courses to graduate on time in my major).What would you do? Thank you for being gracious in your repsonses and good luck to all of you with your application!

You don't need to have all the prereqs when you apply...you will want to shadow a DO

I know a lot of people have been looking forward to how the new schools would do on the boards. Looks like CUSOM has done really well. 94.1% pass rate with 23% scoring above 600 (5% scoring above 700) and 61% scoring above 500. Only 9 students scored below 400.

Saw this in another thread. Very proud of my classmates! Especially with 23% scoring above 600, that is pretty insane for a new school!

Reactions: 3 users
For current students at CUSOM: How is it having an ABC graded system? I know of other schools that use a pass/fail system and the students there speak very highly. I like the concept of pass/fail and think it encourages collaboration. Have you seen any negative aspects of having an ABC grading system? How is collaboration between students? Is it a 'group' study type of atmosphere or is everybody out to get the grade for themselves? Sorry...I know those are a couple loaded questions.

For current students at CUSOM: How is it having an ABC graded system? I know of other schools that use a pass/fail system and the students there speak very highly. I like the concept of pass/fail and think it encourages collaboration. Have you seen any negative aspects of having an ABC grading system? How is collaboration between students? Is it a 'group' study type of atmosphere or is everybody out to get the grade for themselves? Sorry...I know those are a couple loaded questions.
Very collaborative, we freely share study materials back and forth. It's not a hard curve so the whole class can get 100 if we all answer the questions

@TheFuture_22 @mountain_lion Do you know where I could find a source for the board scores??

"I know a lot of people have been looking forward to how the new schools would do on the boards. Looks like CUSOM has done really well. 94.1% pass rate with 23% scoring above 600 (5% scoring above 700) and 61% scoring above 500. Only 9 students scored below 400."

@TheFuture_22 @mountain_lion Do you know where I could find a source for the board scores??

"I know a lot of people have been looking forward to how the new schools would do on the boards. Looks like CUSOM has done really well. 94.1% pass rate with 23% scoring above 600 (5% scoring above 700) and 61% scoring above 500. Only 9 students scored below 400."

I saw it posted in the Facebook group as a picture of a PowerPoint slide shown to the class of 2019 during orientation.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! I am in the Class of 2019. Feel free to ask me any questions about the school, application and interview. The CUSOM faculty are awesome and are continuously improving the medical education. 55 students took the USMLE Step 1 and 100% passed. The COMLEX board scores will only go up since the optional COMBANK questions will now be a requirement.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck everyone! I am in the Class of 2019. Feel free to ask me any questions about the school, application and interview. The CUSOM faculty are awesome and are continuously improving the medical education. 55 students took the USMLE Step 1 and 100% passed. The COMLEX board scores will only go up since the optional COMBANK questions will now be a requirement.
Do you know what the average USMLE scores were for the class?

Waiting for my AACOMAS app. to be verified, submitted a few weeks ago so hopefully soon! I've heard great things about Campbell so definitely crossing my fingers!!

Just set the II date for Aug 17th. Yay!! I'm super excited!

Reactions: 2 users