Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That would be 384 people interviewing over the course of 6 months. CUSOM's class size is 150 students. So, if they accepted all 384 students over a period of 6 months, then that would put the acceptance rate around 40%. From what I've read, med schools generally hand out approximately double the amount of acceptances because not everyone who is accepted is going to attend. So just to play it safe, lets say that CUSOM only hands out an additional 100 acceptances, putting the total acceptances at 250. That would put the acceptance rate at 65%

If you figure that probably 6 out of every 8 people who attend an interview get accepted, then over the course of 6 months, 144 students would get accepted.

I don't know if their interview groups get bigger as the cycle progresses (12 or more students) because that would significantly impact these numbers, but as of now, I think the odds are pretty good of interview vs. acceptance.
lol cant believe you did the math. I just threw out a random # of months. Its probably closer to +9 months in reality.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That would be 384 people interviewing over the course of 6 months. CUSOM's class size is 150 students. So, if they accepted all 384 students over a period of 6 months, then that would put the acceptance rate around 40%. From what I've read, med schools generally hand out approximately double the amount of acceptances because not everyone who is accepted is going to attend. So just to play it safe, lets say that CUSOM only hands out an additional 100 acceptances, putting the total acceptances at 250. That would put the acceptance rate at 65%

If you figure that probably 6 out of every 8 people who attend an interview get accepted, then over the course of 6 months, 144 students would get accepted.

I don't know if their interview groups get bigger as the cycle progresses (12 or more students) because that would significantly impact these numbers, but as of now, I think the odds are pretty good of interview vs. acceptance.

Well, that's not completely accurate. There were 477 total interviews for the class of 2017, and 523 total interviews for the class of 2018. That's a nine percent increase in the number of interviews given out over the course of one year. Let's say that since then the number of interviews conducted has risen only 5% (since the class of 2018).

That means for us (2020) the number of interviews will be about 577 interviews. If Campbell accepts about 250 interviewees, and puts 50 people on the waitlist, then that leaves it about 50% of the people get rejected.

You guys are thinking too hard. The chances of admission after interview range from 30-50% depending on the school. With that in mind, if you have three IIs lined up already, it's very likely that you will matriculate to a medical school somewhere next year. In the grand scheme of things, that is the main priority -- being admitted to a medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the interview overall went well. I felt pretty good about 2 out of 3 of them. That said, I did felt a little stumped by one interviewer. Not sure whether to worry or not :/

Can't wait to find out!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the insight so far. Just curious...did you bring anything there when you went for the interview? I find it a little weird to walk in empty handed but I've never done this before so I don't know.

I would take a professional leather-style folder / padfolio with something to take notes on. Recommend dark color with no logos. You can get them cheap at Walmart, Staples, etc. Pen. Directions/map. Correspondence with/from the school. I took my AACOMAS and secondary app. It's open interview, so they'll have both anyway, but who knows? Maybe they don't have a copy of yours. I doubt that would happen, but someone recommended it to me. (They all had my stuff, so I never pulled it out.) I also heard that if you were to say, get a study published, you could bring copies (one for each interviewer) to hand to them. Up to you.

I think the interview overall went well. I felt pretty good about 2 out of 3 of them. That said, I did felt a little stumped by one interviewer. Not sure whether to worry or not :/

Can't wait to find out!
What would you say stumped you with that Interviewer? Was it a particular question or just how he interviewed?

Okay looking for some input....just got my mcat score back and it's not really where I wanted it to be but still not a death sentence (I hope). Waiting for official grades to come out as well but stats should be as follows...

cGPA and sGPA= ~3.3
MCAT= 501 (126, 125, 123, 127)

Am I DOA? CUSOM is my top school so I've been emailing them quite a bit and have sent a letter of intent. My wife and I have a lot of reason to get to NC and reading on here makes me want to get to Campbell even more. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance or a heads up to get ready for the worst.

Edit: EC's are pretty solid I think. ~800 volunteer hours, ~350 clinical hours, ~75 shadowing, DO LOR, served a 2-year Christian mission, some research,

Okay looking for some input....just got my mcat score back and it's not really where I wanted it to be but still not a death sentence (I hope). Waiting for official grades to come out as well but stats should be as follows...

cGPA and sGPA= ~3.3

Am I DOA? CUSOM is my top school so I've been emailing them quite a bit and have sent a letter of intent. My wife and I have a lot of reason to get to NC and reading on here makes me want to get to Campbell even more. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance or a heads up to get ready for the worst.
Minimum requirements are GPA 3.2 and MCAT 24 according to the website. Not sure how the new scores convert. My opinion is that you should go ahead and submit. Worst that could happen is they screen you out and you've lost a bit of cash on AACOMAS.

cGPA and sGPA= ~3.3

Edit: EC's are pretty solid I think. ~800 volunteer hours, ~350 clinical hours, ~75 shadowing, DO LOR, served a 2-year Christian mission, some research,
I have a ~3.5 gpa and got a 499 on the new Mcat and I'm interviewing at Campbell sept 21st. Judging by your picture we also attend the same undergrad if you're at Uvu So we're both in pretty similar situations. If there is a way to pm on here pm me.

I hope they send me a secondary soon :/

How long did others wait to get the phone call after the II email notification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!

Reactions: 15 users
Accepted!!

3.5 /26 (9/9/8)

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Accepted!!!! Amazing feeling!
3.8x cGPA, 25 MCAT

Reactions: 13 users
Sweet!!! Congrats to the acceptances. Did they call you or was in an email?

I submitted my secondary on July 31st and received an email stating that my "secondary and payment have been received" on August 6th and have yet to receive a complete email and it's been two weeks as of today. For those with complete emails does this timeline sound about right? My LOR's were submitted through AACOMAS, which may be causing some hold up I imagine.

Aaaah! Just got the acceptance call!!! Now I gotta tell my wife the good news! Oh boy!

Reactions: 17 users
Rejected pre-secondary. They specifically said my science GPA was too low (3.0). Congrats to those who got acceptances!

I got the acceptance phone call about an hour ago. I interviewed monday.

Reactions: 7 users
I submitted my secondary on July 31st and received an email stating that my "secondary and payment have been received" on August 6th and have yet to receive a complete email and it's been two weeks as of today. For those with complete emails does this timeline sound about right? My LOR's were submitted through AACOMAS, which may be causing some hold up I imagine.
I was three weeks to the day from the received email to the complete email. The good news is that my complete email and II email arrived within 60 seconds of each other.

Reactions: 2 users
I was three weeks to the day from the received email to the complete email. The good news is that my complete email and II email arrived within 60 seconds of each other.

Well that's got me excited now! Thank you.

Accepted!!!! Missed the call but message said to check my email!!! I'm so incredibly excited! Congrats to all the other acceptances!!

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats!!!!!
How long was the phone call? Im at work and awaiting one but hopefully it won't be busy
I think it depends on how long your "happy dance" lasts. My dance lasted about 30 seconds, so I think the total time of the call was around 3 or 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Oh my gracious! Big congrats to all of you who already got accepted! Now I'm really looking forward to this interview. :)

Last edited:
Accepted this afternoon! Fell in love with this school at the interview. So excited!
Stats: 27 (9/9/9) MCAT; 3.56 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA

Reactions: 6 users
Morning guys, I got my interview here the 4th Monday of September. Probably gonna drive down from NY if anyone wants to meet up hmu.

Accepted this afternoon! Fell in love with this school at the interview. So excited!
Stats: 27 (9/9/9) MCAT; 3.56 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA
Congratulations. Where you an Early Decision Applicaant

II
Super excited!:banana: