Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10/10! Best of luck at yours! What are you doing to prepare? Im not sure what to do if I should just know my app and relax or do some extensive prep and research

Interviewed at CUSOM: August 23, 2016
Accepted at CUSOM: August 26, 2016

I was very impressed with the school - both the facilities and faculty are amazing. The dean spoke to us for a short time and I was very impressed with what the school, and he in particular, are doing to advocate for the students to ensure that we are successful as future doctors. All of the faculty I spoke to were very visionary and seemed passionate about the school and their job. I was also very impressed that many of the current students who just happened to be passing by would stop and talk to us - encouraging us for our interviews. Everyone there is supportive of each other and helps to ensure that each person will be successful.

Here are questions that were emphasized in interviews:
- Why are you interested in pursuing osteopathic medicine? (Essential question - asked three times)
- Why did you choose CUSOM? (Essential question - asked three times)
- Why do you want to be a doctor? (Essential question - asked three times)
- Is there a difference in the training between osteopathic and allopathic physicians?
- How many schools did you apply to? ... If all of these schools accept you, how will you decide which school to attend?
- Why did you choose healthcare versus another career where you could serve others?
- If you never get into medical school, what career will you pursue (also assuming that you cannot do anything related to the healthcare field)?
- I will be your advocate at the admissions committee. What thing about you do you want me to express to the committee?

I was also asked a few questions specific to my application and life experiences. Others who interviewed with me were asked "why is a manhole round?" - So there are some who like to throw curve ball questions. In general everyone who interviewed me wanted me to feel comfortable and tried to make things conversational. My recommendation for the interview is to go to the interview feeling proud of the accomplishments you have made (don't be nervous - you are obviously qualified because you made it to the interview - the interview is just to see if you fit and would be comfortable at this school) and be ready to share your passion for being a physician and serving others in the medical field!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

I was very impressed with the school - both the facilities and faculty are amazing. The dean spoke to us for a short time and I was very impressed with what the school, and he in particular, are doing to advocate for the students to ensure that we are successful as future doctors. All of the faculty I spoke to were very visionary and seemed passionate about the school and their job. I was also very impressed that many of the current students who just happened to be passing by would stop and talk to us - encouraging us for our interviews. Everyone there is supportive of each other and helps to ensure that each person will be successful.

- Why are you interested in pursuing osteopathic medicine? (Essential question - asked three times)
- Is there a difference in the training between osteopathic and allopathic physicians?
- How many schools did you apply to? ... If all of these schools accept you, how will you decide which school to attend?
- Why did you choose healthcare versus another career where you could serve others?
- If you never get into medical school, what career will you pursue (also assuming that you cannot do anything related to the healthcare field)?
- I will be your advocate at the admissions committee. What thing about you do you want me to express to the committee?

I was also asked a few questions specific to my application and life experiences. Others who interviewed with me were asked "why is a manhole round?" - So there are some who like to throw curve ball questions. In general everyone who interviewed me wanted me to feel comfortable and tried to make things conversational. My recommendation for the interview is to go to the interview feeling proud of the accomplishments you have made (don't be nervous - you are obviously qualified because you made it to the interview - the interview is just to see if you fit and would be comfortable at this school) and be ready to share your passion for being a physician and serving others in the medical field!

I absolutely second this. I interviewed here the other day, and felt that this school is doing everything possible to be the biggest advocates for the success of their students. They weren't overly boastful of the school's accomplishments or putting on a show( if you have interviewed at other schools, you may know what I am talking about). All three of my interviewers were absolutely wonderful, I could have spoken to them for hours. Don't memorize answers, but have in mind what you'd like to say to the general questions. BE YOURSELF! I cannot stress this enough. Be genuine, don't sound like a robot. Good luck to those who are going to interviews here!

Reactions: 1 users

I absolutely second this. I interviewed here the other day, and felt that this school is doing everything possible to be the biggest advocates for the success of their students. They weren't overly boastful of the school's accomplishments or putting on a show( if you have interviewed at other schools, you may know what I am talking about). All three of my interviewers were absolutely wonderful, I could have spoken to them for hours. Don't memorize answers, but have in mind what you'd like to say to the general questions. BE YOURSELF! I cannot stress this enough. Be genuine, don't sound like a robot. Good luck to those who are going to interviews here!

Thank you for the responses this is very helpful and good to hear :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of you receive this email a few weeks after the AACOMAS application acknowledgement email?

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks."

Does this mean I just got put on hold?

Did any of you receive this email a few weeks after the AACOMAS application acknowledgement email?

"Thank you for submitting your primary application to Campbell University Jerry M. Wallace School of Osteopathic Medicine. Your application has been reviewed and at this moment we would like to bring your application to the Pre-Screen Committee for an in depth review. We are very interested in your candidacy and will be discussing your application within the next few weeks."

Does this mean I just got put on hold?

I received it as well but much earlier. CUSOM is one the of the only schools I've seen screen multiple times before invitations to secondaries and interviews. You are not on hold you are under review.

What are your chances of receiving an II if you received a secondary? Seems that they put quite the amount of effort in to screen primaries.

What are your chances of receiving an II if you received a secondary? Seems that they put quite the amount of effort in to screen primaries.
Good if you are above 3.25. I got rejected post secondary due to my low gpa.

Right here!

Everybody's getting acceptances and all, but I'm still here waiting for my secondary
Don't panic! They are very picky about whom they give secondaries to in the beginning. They will start expanding their applicant pool within the coming months. Hang in there!

Reactions: 1 users
After my interview they said I will know by the end of the business day Friday (tomorrow) if I am accepted/rejected. Soooo nervous! Going to be frantically checking my phone all day tomorrow lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
After my interview they said I will know by the end of the business day Friday (tomorrow) if I am accepted/rejected. Soooo nervous! Going to be frantically checking my phone all day tomorrow lol.
I'm with you! Which day did you interview this week?

I was thinking about submitting my secondary soon but I'm hesitant to go to NC. What did you guys think of the area the school is located in? I've read a lot online that NC is a very racist state which worries me.

I was thinking about submitting my secondary soon but I'm hesitant to go to NC. What did you guys think of the area the school is located in? I've read a lot online that NC is a very racist state which worries me.

There was no hint of racism when I was there last year. It's in a somewhat rural area and the campus is beautiful.

Honestly I really liked NC when I went on my interview. Buies Creek, where the school is, is really small (the school is the main attraction) but you have the state capital only 40 minutes away. Everyone was really nice and friendly. I didn't experience any racism while I was there and I am half middle eastern, my father who is full on middle eastern lived in North Carolina, he considers it to be his second favorite state to live in besides California. He is really excited I was accepted to Campbell because it means he has a reason to come back to NC!

I interviewed this Monday too. Waiting for the decision today. So scarf

I have lived in NC most of my life. There can be areas that are less than welcoming to people of different ethnic backgrounds. But that goes for people of every color. Where Campbell is at is very nice though, rural and country.

You would be fine.

Just got an email saying it would be up to 3 weeks for my primary app to be reviewed. Waiting stinks, but it's nice of them to give us a rough timeline.

Accepted!! They called 5 minutes before my class today. I was trying so hard to not scream at the top of my lungs during lecture lol.

Congrats everyone!

Is there any way to check on the status of an application here?

Accepted!! They called 5 minutes before my class today. I was trying so hard to not scream at the top of my lungs during lecture lol.

CONGRATS! I'm at work and I can't keep my **** together anymore. I just wanna smile and laugh like a crazy person. So I had to leave my office, go to my lab bench since no one else is there, and jump around. I'm slightly more calm now....slightly.....

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone interviewed and not been accepted? seems like everyone who's interviewing is accepted...

Has anyone interviewed and not been accepted? seems like everyone who's interviewing is accepted...

Probably selection bias. There's like 8-12 people per interview and I've been seeing like 4ish people post about getting accepted each time.

and maybe those who got rejected don't want to post it publicly on a forum?

For those that have been accepted and have made your deposits:

The email that was sent out saying what was needed to be completed has me confused.

Are we supposed to have everything completed before matriculation (Aug 2017) or by October 15 like the previous email stated when you were first accepted?

Just wondering because I have to really work my schedule out between getting things in and school stuff.

Accepted students - did anyone ever get the background check & etc email??? I still haven't gotten a link. Maybe I'll email them soon.

Accepted students - did anyone ever get the background check & etc email??? I still haven't gotten a link. Maybe I'll email them soon.

I haven't received the background check email either. Still waiting.

No, it is not too late to apply (trust me, I submitted wayyyyyyyyy later than you, and I'm currently in my first block at CUSOM). :)
Thank you so much for the reassurance! I primarily wanted to stay in the west coast, but now I'm expanding my options... when did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Same. Thinking about emailing them.
I haven't received the background check email either. Still waiting.
I emailed - said they are still working on the link and that when they send the link, they will include deadlines. So I'm guessing the deadline is not Oct. 15th (since I specifically asked about Oct. 15th).

Reactions: 2 users
These questions might have been answered already, but oh well. Does anyone know what board prep this school gives ( dedicated time, review courses, etc. )? Second, are the rotation sites primarily ward or preceptor based?

Thank you so much for the reassurance! I primarily wanted to stay in the west coast, but now I'm expanding my options... when did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? :)
Whoa! Then you must apply! haha I'm from the west coast too :]! I applied in late November/December, but I do know some people who applied way later, and they're right here with me :p

I just got accepted and I'm from California. Although CUSOM is "in the middle of no where," I liked it a lot. The facilities are good and people there are amazing. You should definitely give it a shot!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I interview here on the 10th of October. Ive only interviewed one other place and was rejected so I'm hoping I have better luck here. Seems like a lot have been accepted so far too which is good and with quick turn around time as well. Is my interview late or more middle of the pack?

Hey guys I interview here on the 10th of October. Ive only interviewed one other place and was rejected so I'm hoping I have better luck here. Seems like a lot have been accepted so far too which is good and with quick turn around time as well. Is my interview late or more middle of the pack?
You are fine! They only interview 16 a week, so max by that point that they have interviewed is 150. That is still relatively early(I think the admissions person said December interview dates are where it starts to get harder to get a spot). Be yourself and you will be fine! I was waitlisted at another school, but really clicked with my interviewers here. Good luck!

So how close does CUSOM stick to the statement "you will hear back from us in 2-3 weeks"? It will be three weeks on Friday, and I have heard nothing other than the original complete email.

So how close does CUSOM stick to the statement "you will hear back from us in 2-3 weeks"? It will be three weeks on Friday, and I have heard nothing other than the original complete email.

It took over a month for me to hear back.

I know you are only an MS1 but do you happen to know what percentage of students take the USMLE? Also if they have dedicated board prep time?

Sorry for being so late to reply (lots of exams lately). I don't remember the number they gave in orientation I want to say about a 1/3 of the class, but don't quote me on that. I do know that the pass rate was 100% though (for 2018 class). There is dedicated time to prep for boards as well and this past year they added an additional prep between 1st and 2nd years to help with knowledge retention over the summer. It's not something you have to be around for, so you can still do all the fun summer things you want with your last free summer. Hope that helped!

Do you know how many people can be awarded the presidential and deans scholarships?

Sorry for the late reply. I'm actually not sure of that. I would definitely contact financial aid. They are pretty helpful.