Menu Icon Search
Close Search

Can a caribbean graduate end up staying in the caribbeans?

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by ahmed17, 02.22.11.

1. ahmed17

ahmed17

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone,
    I know this sounds SOOOO extremely stupid....but is it possible for an SGU grad. to just specialize and practice in the Caribbeans?

Thanks everyone for your input.
  2. donttazemebro

donttazemebro

Pre-Medical
    i'm gonna take a complete guess here, but i think the issue would be the income. I'd be surprised if the island docs make anything more than 50% of a comparable american physician.

plus studying in the caribean will mean 200K of loans that you are responsible for also.

and there may also be the issue of their residencies being available to foriegners or accepted by US/Canada/Uk.
  3. RoseInTheMud

RoseInTheMud

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I don't see why not as long as you became a citizen of that country
  4. JuniorDoc

JuniorDoc

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm a SGU graduate actually, we were told that as SGU graduates you're automatically licensed in Grenada. However we were also told that that doesn't come with permission to work.

IDK if you'd have to become a citizen, but as they have a number of foreign doctors it's likely that they'd be happy to have someone stay. Many (I think all but don't know) of the local physicians who participated in our clinical skills classes had completed residencies in the US, and UK. Like many countries, a number of their young physicians move to the US either after graduation (or with SGU perhaps during clerkships.)

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal