Can a dentist buy a practice across states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerfan01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This maybe a dumb question, I googled for a good bit of time but did not find the exact answer I was looking for, long story short I plan on becoming a dentist in the next few years so I like to have a general idea of how everything will go once I get my degree. I want to practice in my home state Georgia, but would love to own a practice in another state like Florida. Is this possible? I want to start off my work in Georgia then start up a second practice in florida and work in florida temporarily until its stable then hire an associate dentist to work for me so I can go back to Georgia. I see big corporations like Aspen and Coastal Dental owning practices across states so I did not think it would be a problem for me one day but I just want clarification? It would be nice to be able to open my own chain of practices across multiple states one day...

Members don't see this ad.

To own a practice in Florida you must posses a Florida dental license. You don't have to practice or reside their but you must have an active Florida license.

"Florida has long been a state that does not prohibit the corporate practice of medicine, unlike many other states. However, it does prohibit the corporate practice of dentistry. The key provision in Florida law that establishes this is Section 466.028, Florida Statutes, but the Florida Board of Dentistry has also adopted administrative rules on this topic, as well.

What this means is that any corporation (or other type of business entity) that owns or operates a dental practice, under Florida law, must be one solely owned by and controlled by dentists. In this context, the term “dentists” means those licensed to practice dentistry in the state of Florida, with an active license. Someone licensed in another state or who has a suspended or revoked license in Florida, would not meet that requirement."

So if I have a florida license and lets say a "new york" license, I can own two practices in two different states?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So if I have a florida license and lets say a "new york" license, I can own two practices in two different states?

Now we're talkin'!

Do us all a favor and put Aspen, Gentle Dental, etc.. out of business by offering higher quality service at a lower cost (ie, don't get too greedy).

good luck.