Can a pharmacist work for 2 retail chain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently started working for Walgreens and due to relocation, I want to join rite aid as well!! Have you guys ever seen some rph working for 2 major chain???

Members don't see this ad.

not walgreens. check out your offer letter/contract. its not allowed for walgreens, dont know about other companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of threads on this. You can only do it openly in California where policies that prevent you from working from competitors are illegal. If you do it anywhere else, don't tell anyone and you MIGHT get away with it. If you do it in CA, you should probably not tell anyone either.

It's against pretty much every company policy to work at a competing pharmacy (even in CA where its illegal to forbid it, you can bet management takes notes & remembers people who do this) If you want to work at 2 different places, 1 needs to be hospital, 1 needs to be retail. The only other possible exception is if you worked in a retail place in one city, and were willing to commute to another city like 50 miles to work at a different place and there no pharmacies anywhere nearby that belonged to your first employer (but this wouldn't work with any chain that did mail-order, since another retail pharmacy anywhere would be competing with them.

I mean...no. Try it. Good luck trying to get out of being double scheduled. Or answering the phone and saying the wrong company name. And if the employers find out, they'll look for any small mistake to terminate you. Threw out your receipt for that soda you bought? Stealing. Fired.