can a professor make me write a 15 page paper and noone else has to..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr duey

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here is my problem. Im currently enrolled in an online class through a community college. Well everything was fine for a while. However, on one particular day the teacher had posted something on the fourms where he and the class communicate with each other. He answered a question a student had and then at the end he said "thats why animals dont have instincts" . Since i didnt agree i went ahead and said they do and why i believed what i did.

Couple minutes later i get a pm from him, the professor Which read.."you have 2 minutes to send me a pm saying instincts in animals do not exist and explain why or you will have to write a 15 page paper on it"

Long story short there was a stipulation about this in syllabus and admin says i have to write it or fail..fair?

Edit: i never sent him the email in 2 mins. I sent an email saying "what are you talking about"

Members don't see this ad.

You should have came up with an awful answer within the 2 minutes.

However, now you are assigned to do a 15 page paper. If it's in the syllabus, you can't really argue with it. Next time, use RateMyProfessor and never take a class with such an awful professor that hands out lengthy assignments on a whim.

And no, it's not fair. There's a lot of things in college that are not fair. And life in general for that matter.

Reactions: 1 users
Instincts as in urge to eat/mate/stay safe or higher level cognitive processes? If the former, I have never heard anyone argue the contrary...

Members don't see this ad :)
Evidently he can.

jk, that sucks OP.

You should have came up with an awful answer within the 2 minutes.

However, now you are assigned to do a 15 page paper. If it's in the syllabus, you can't really argue with it. Next time, use RateMyProfessor and never take a class with such an awful professor that hands out lengthy assignments on a whim.

And no, it's not fair. There's a lot of things in college that are not fair. And life in general for that matter.
I understand that the syllabus is their pseudo contract. But were basically forced to accept the term and conditions before even seeing it.

As far as rate my professor goes:

Make sure you write him a review at the end of the semester!

Anyways, some actual advice before I sleep: you should absolutely argue to the administration over this. Having a stipulation such as that punishes those who go against the hivemind of prevailing thought, which an examination of any scope would show to be questionable or downright wrong in many cases. So by actively enforcing the sentiment of "the world is the way I say it is because I'm saying it is" halts any sort of intellectual inquiry or progress. It's close-minded and anti-thetical to the principle of college education.

If everyone taught that way, we'd be forced to blindly believe without thought lest be punished. Sounds like the medieval times, not a place of higher learning. Any teacher worth a **** would encourage being corrected to foster active and life - long learning. Bring all this up and don't take bull**** red tape and "rules" as a final rebuttal.

Reactions: 1 user
Instincts as in urge to eat/mate/stay safe or higher level cognitive processes? If the former, I have never heard anyone argue the contrary...
The book were using has 2 pages where they talk about instincts. It says they do exist. I bought this up while arguing with the idiot and says the book is wrong and he already contacted the publisher..

That sucks. Why the hell would he say animals don't have instincts? That's so easily disproven.

Sounds like he has some personal problem with the animal instincts issue. Like he mentioned it in his PhD dissertation and couldn't defend it/failed/had to rewrite it or whatever. Or he hates being confronted.

But I agree with someone posting above - this rule is totally ridiculous and you should fight against it

Sounds like he has some personal problem with the animal instincts issue. Like he mentioned it in his PhD dissertation and couldn't defend it/failed/had to rewrite it or whatever. Or he hates being confronted.

But I agree with someone posting above - this rule is totally ridiculous and you should fight against it
I have fought. Ive had heated discussion with him and the administration. Admin says write the paper or W. He says the same. But he make one concession; if i get an A on the paper he will give me an A in the class. No hw or other required work need to done except taking the exams only as a formality. If i do go ratemyprofessor after all this i will say , best professor ever, highly recommended.

I have fought. Ive had heated discussion with him and the administration. Admin says write the paper or W. He says the same. But he make one concession; if i get an A on the paper he will give me an A in the class. No hw or other required work need to done except taking the exams only as a formality. If i do go ratemyprofessor after all this i will say , best professor ever, highly recommended.

Were you in any way antagonistic in your original post and hence the paper is a "punishment"?

15 pages with references is not nothing but I would imagine there is so much stuff written on animal instincts that you can pull it off. Would your other grades suffer? If not, I would just do it. If yes, I would consider a W

Sounds like the professor is not a very reasonable or open-minded person so even if your paper is good, he might still give you a bad grade and claim that the paper was bad

In all fairness, the Prof didn't say it had to be a good answer.

This does cross a line into the reprehensible. Double check the syllabus, and complain to his Dep't Chair, and the Dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you in any way antagonistic in your original post and hence the paper is a "punishment"?

15 pages with references is not nothing but I would imagine there is so much stuff written on animal instincts that you can pull it off. Would your other grades suffer? If not, I would just do it. If yes, I would consider a W

Sounds like the professor is not a very reasonable or open-minded person so even if your paper is good, he might still give you a bad grade and claim that the paper was bad
No i just said i disagree but u can disagree with him on other thing as i did before but if its instincts you must apologize.

I dont trust him with the paper or switching a grade

In all fairness, the Prof didn't say it had to be a good answer.

This does cross a line into the reprehensible. Double check the syllabus, and complain to his Dep't Chair, and the Dean.
I didnt even know what he was talking about. I sent a pm saying what are you talking about. He responded saying you are now required to write a 15page paper etc

I would just take the W. He can probably give you any grade he wants to.

Get the hell out, man. At this point you're probably going to get a D- on the paper even if you try your best.

Get the hell out, man. At this point you're probably going to get a D- on the paper even if you try your best.
What if i write a 15 page paper about how instinct do exist?

While I'm inclined to believe this is false, if he asks you to write the paper, write the paper if you choose. Ultimately it is your grade at stake.

I would withdraw ASAP. I concur that this professor has a personal bias of some sort going on. He/She already doesn't like you, and your paper most likely wouldn't be well received. After withdrawing, I would make sure to take it up with the dean in a way that shows you're not complaining just to complain, but are genuinely worried about the type of education you're receiving.

Withdraw immediately!!! Remember this a paper and not a multiple choice exam, he can grade it however he wants.

I would withdraw as well and possibly file a formal complaint.

Keep your mouth shut and stop making the professor look bad in front of the students.

Ok so here is my problem. Im currently enrolled in an online class through a community college. Well everything was fine for a while. However, on one particular day the teacher had posted something on the fourms where he and the class communicate with each other. He answered a question a student had and then at the end he said "thats why animals dont have instincts" . Since i didnt agree i went ahead and said they do and why i believed what i did.

Couple minutes later i get a pm from him, the professor Which read.."you have 2 minutes to send me a pm saying instincts in animals do not exist and explain why or you will have to write a 15 page paper on it"

Long story short there was a stipulation about this in syllabus and admin says i have to write it or fail..fair?

Edit: i never sent him the email in 2 mins. I sent an email saying "what are you talking about"

That you, MRH145?