Can a too-large soft contact lens base curve (.3) cause irritation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for this off-topic post. I googled for a forum to ask a question (regarding optometry), and this forum can answer it but I realize that is not the focus here.

So, if you'll indulge me this one question, please:

I wore Acuvue Oasys contact lens for 2 months, but felt my vision was less sharp than before (with another lens). The doctor had prescribed the Oasys with a base curve of 8.4 (available in 8.4 or 8.8).

I just ordered Acuvue's Advance instead, but received them with a base curve of 8.7 (available in 8.3 or 8.7).

For some unknown reason, these lenses feel uncomfortable on my eyes and leave redness from the cornea to the inside edge of my eyes. The problem started right after I began wearing them (it's been less than a week) and I had no problems with the Oasys.

I'm trying to determine the reason for my irritation.

By googling for an answer online, I got the impression that it is not likely caused by the increased .3 size in base curve (unless the base curve is too small; these new lenses are a larger base curve). I'm not aware of any "slipping".

Could the "less steep" base curve be the problem? Or not likely?

P.S. The supplier guessed a "bad box" and offered to replace them with the same prescription. I'm wondering if the problem is either a too-large base curve or a solution issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I apologize for this off-topic post. I googled for a forum to ask a question (regarding optometry), and this forum can answer it but I realize that is not the focus here.

So, if you'll indulge me this one question, please:

I wore Acuvue Oasys contact lens for 2 months, but felt my vision was less sharp than before (with another lens). The doctor had prescribed the Oasys with a base curve of 8.4 (available in 8.4 or 8.8).

I just ordered Acuvue's Advance instead, but received them with a base curve of 8.7 (available in 8.3 or 8.7).

For some unknown reason, these lenses feel uncomfortable on my eyes and leave redness from the cornea to the inside edge of my eyes. The problem started right after I began wearing them (it's been less than a week) and I had no problems with the Oasys.

I'm trying to determine the reason for my irritation.

By googling for an answer online, I got the impression that it is not likely caused by the increased .3 size in base curve (unless the base curve is too small; these new lenses are a larger base curve). I'm not aware of any "slipping".

Could the "less steep" base curve be the problem? Or not likely?

P.S. The supplier guessed a "bad box" and offered to replace them with the same prescription. I'm wondering if the problem is either a too-large base curve or a solution issue.

You should ask your prescriber, not the person selling you boxes. Different lenses are made out of different materials and have different edge designs and they can all fit differently depending on how they interact with the anatomy and chemistry of your own eye.

As to your specific case, it's not appropriate to ask for medical advice on SDN. I'm recommending this thread for closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.