Can an international dentist practice in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadermekadis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding whether to go to Dent School or not but I want to work in the US, Canada or Australia.. I'm not sure about the processes.. is there a similar test for Dentistry like the USMLE? is NBDE the same as USMLE? How can I practice Dentistry in US, Canada or Australia?? I need to know very soon cause I need to decide (p.s I'm an international student from Egypt)

Members don't see this ad.

dear , I am an international dentist also , I live in USA , so what I am going to tell you is about USA only ,
to practice in USA you have to :
1- be graduated from an accredited dental school ( means either from USA or Canada)...
2- Pass the NBDE part 1 (special test for dentists like USMLE part 1 for medical )..
3- Pass the NBDE part 2 (special test for dentists like USNLE part 2 for medical )...
4- pass the state board exam which is a specific exam provided by the state you desire to prctice in ...

So what we do as international dentists , we take NBDE part 1 and NBDE part 2 then we apply for a specific programs in specific dental schools in USA or Canada for 2-3 years (which is not an easy step ) then we do the state board exam after that ...

I hope this will help you as a general view , if you need any help let me know

Reactions: 1 users
c'mon my friend,
your decision should you become a dentist or not shouldn't be made on where you want to work after 5 or 6 years of school but do you actually like the profession

first of all you might want to ask yourself the question do you want to become a dentist or not. I see you are familiar with the usmle, maybe a physician is the path for you...
think about it.

I'm deciding whether to go to Dent School or not but I want to work in the US, Canada or Australia.. I'm not sure about the processes.. is there a similar test for Dentistry like the USMLE? is NBDE the same as USMLE? How can I practice Dentistry in US, Canada or Australia?? I need to know very soon cause I need to decide (p.s I'm an international student from Egypt)

Members don't see this ad :)
man, yeah! but where I live it is really hard to become either a physician/dentist because they're not well paid.

if you have the funds available, you can come to USA right now and do the complete dental school here...if not, then you can do the bachelors degree in dentistry in Egypt and follow the steps dentmajid mentioned to work in USA.. But before that keep in mind all the positive and negetive aspects, all the hard work and patience required and then decide. Good luck.

I am going through BDS (bachelor of dental surgery).if i apply for US for my master then what should i have to do? what is difference between BDS and DDS ? are they same ?

You need to find a program which accepts international graduates and see which requirements it has, go from there. DDS and BDS are definitely not the same

Reactions: 1 user
dear , I am an international dentist also , I live in USA , so what I am going to tell you is about USA only ,
to practice in USA you have to :
1- be graduated from an accredited dental school ( means either from USA or Canada)...
2- Pass the NBDE part 1 (special test for dentists like USMLE part 1 for medical )..
3- Pass the NBDE part 2 (special test for dentists like USNLE part 2 for medical )...
4- pass the state board exam which is a specific exam provided by the state you desire to prctice in ...

So what we do as international dentists , we take NBDE part 1 and NBDE part 2 then we apply for a specific programs in specific dental schools in USA or Canada for 2-3 years (which is not an easy step ) then we do the state board exam after that ...

I hope this will help you as a general view , if you need any help let me know
Hi, how about an international dentist who finished the accreditation process in Canada. How do I apply for the American boards part1& 2?
Thank you.