Can any CVS Pharmtechs answer my question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about applying for a job as a pharmtech and walked into a CVS today to ask for an application. I talked to the pharmacist, who told me that the applications are all online. I talked to him a little bit more and he took my name and acted as if he'd let the manager know. Also told me to call in one I submitted the application because they are looking to hire someone.

So the way they acted I have a chance at getting the job.

My question is this. I have never done an illegal drug in my entire life, but I do use smokeless tobacco. After some reading, I am under the impression that they will not hire me because of this and will actually test for it in the urine test. Is this correct? Also they can detect it for up to 90 days?

If this is true I might aswell throw away the opportunity because I have no chance... I am willing to quit for ever but I could potentially be going to an interview and drug test this week which I'm guessing isn't near enough time

Members don't see this ad.

Smokeless tobacco? As in, nicotine and tar and plant crap? No, I don't think they will deny employment for that, nor do I think they even test for it. Can you point us to the source of your impression?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response, here's what I found -

"Smokers working for CVS are also warned: “You must either be tobacco-free by May 1, 2014, or participate in the WebMD tobacco cessation program.” Defiant smokers can avoid penalties if they are healthy enough in other categories specified by the company."

http://lifeinc.today.com/_news/2013...ch-you-weigh-or-itll-cost-you-600-a-year?lite

I'm not really sure if this only applies to full time-employees with benefits or to everyone or if it's even true

Really confused if I'll be tested for nicotine or not and what their policy is. Maybe after a week I'll pass anyways

Hoping to get a CVS tech to answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a CVS tech for three years. I know as of October this year we won't be selling any tobacco products, and I know that if you're full time you have to pay $600 more a year on your health insurance if you are a tobacco user. As for the new hire drug testing, as far as I know you are not tested for tobacco, (or if it shows up in your test it's irrelevant) only the illegal drugs. What you found might be something CVS is considering in the future, but as of now I think you're good. We're hiring at my store as well and I'm pretty sure I would've heard about this if it were the case. So I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Good luck!

Okay great!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my coworkers would be in big trouble if smoking wasn't allowed any more.

Yes, the penalties that the article speaks of are regarding the insurance offered by CVS. You won't have to worry about anything unless you have the full-time insurance. The part-time insurance is really bad, but doesn't impose the health penalties that the other does.

Don't expect CVS to allow you to use tobacco products of any kind during your shift though.