can anyone answer my question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuck&scared

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
I work as dental assistant in a clinic. I got stuck by a endo file. I did not get PEP. Base line was negative for HIV and hepatitis panel. I am waiting on 6 week result. I tested with home access after 28 days and it was negative. Not sure to whom it belonged, but all the patients performed that week reported negative for both. I am a little nervous and paranoid. MY throat is a little sore since two days. Am I at high risk for contacting any of the blood borne pathogens. The needle was pretty dry i guess. All the Doctors out there please advise me and answer meee. I spoke to a couple of counsellors and doctors but none of them want to be honest as they are scared if something goes wrong they might be at risk.( legally). Please help this innocent scared person with your honest advise.

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding based on OHSA regulation...if u work as a Dental asistant in US, you should report it to your employer regarding the issue and go for medical doctor to get assistant... I had a friend before, he got stuck with a needle and his boss advise him to go for blood check at medical office the next following day and have a test on his blood sample and gave him an antigen booster just for precaution and he required to go for another test on his blood sample 1-1/2 weeks, 1 month and 3 months after the exposures, that is what I remember. - and I believe all the medical fee is cover by employer - although for the later one, I'm not really sure if the fee is cover by his insurance or employer (because of OSHA regulation).

The whole issue OSHA made this regulation is not only to protect employee but also to prevent the cross contamination of the disease from patient to dentist and vice versa.

I wish this will help you., but try not to worry.so much ..as you already check the chart of all the patients that week were negative.

stuck&scared, when u start working at dental office, either you do volunteer or DA work, you have to go for OSHA and HIPPA training at no cost cover by employer. I remember I got a bunch of a copies stuff and have to read at home before employer discuss all the issue to us. And actually all of the dental office should do it because it mention in the OSHA regulation paper, and they should have a record that they already train / explain to all of their employee before they start working - then they asked us to sign the paper stating they gave us a training or explanation. - if not, if something happen, they can be in trouble.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm gonna try to encourage you!
First you should re-check all patients who have had root canal treatment performed on that day (or the day before) when you got stuck by the endo file (on their history chart look for HIV and hepatitis B,C). Did you have Hepatitis B vaccine shots? Regullary, this vaccine should be offered to all exposed dental workers and should be free to worker. Did the endo file enter deep trough your skin, did it bleed? It doesn't matter if the needle was dry or wet, the risk is the same. If the patients are in good health, then you don't have to be scared, everything it's fine.
I understood that you got some tests, and they are ok. Check again after a month or two, and then you can be sure that you didn't contact any blood borne pathogens.
The incubation period for hepatitis B is 4-25 weeks. Early HIV disease may be asymptomatic. Some patients experience flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, malaise or weakness 2-6 weeks after exposure. As I understand from you, one month has past already, so I don't think you contacted any disease. I know you are very tense, scared and nervous and I understand your feeling very well. Because of these your imune system weakened, and this may be the reason of your sore throat, and of course is the season for cold disease. Take some pills or spray for sore throat. Try do not think about what happened, I know it is hard to do it, but just do everything else and let the time go by and wait for the 6 week result. Then you will be more confident. Hope these will help you and be optimist!

SDN is not intended to provide medical advice. These are questions you should be asking your physician, not an anonymous internet message board. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.