Can anyone answer my question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyscorpian14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the highest math you have used while in medical school the most? I'm great at science but not great at math I'm trying to see if I don't have to go past trignometry

Members don't see this ad.

1) this should not be in allo, rather pre-allo or pre-pre-allo.

2) how much math you use in medical school is irrelevent because most medical schools require one if not two semesters of college calculus for admission.

3) to actually answer the question, mostly algebra. I had to integrate something once but that's because i forgot some random formula, not because it's actually needed.

Absolutely agree with the above. As far as i've seen, every medical school requires at least one semester of calculus (not pre-calculus, actual calculus), and then either a second semester of calc or a statistics course (or something similar). You don't have to be great at advanced mathematics to practice medicine - you also don't need to be awesome at regurgitating physics formulas, memorizing organic chemistry compounds, or setting up bunsen burners. But you DO need to get through all of that, and do a great job while you're at it, to get to medical school (and beyond).

Good luck! There are headaches all along the way... there's a lot of BS in med school too. But when someone calls a code and YOU respond, well... it's worth it in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait what? Required calculus? Have you guys ever read the MSAR? Very few schools require two semesters of calculus. Some require 1 semester of calculus but a majority require no calculus at all. I believe I applied to 17 schools and not one of them required calculus. Many do require at least two courses in mathematics, so if you are normal you took a pre-calc at the college level and then something else like stats or at least calculus I. There is a good portion that recommend/highly recommend calculus but that's not the same thing. I took two semesters of calculus and it was a mistake because I didn't have to. It depends on your major of course. Many chemistry majors would have to take calc I/II either way. I majored in bio and didn't have to but I took them.

You will never use calculus in medical school. Most of what you do in phys is physics type algebra, long division, or multiplication. If you remember plug and chug without a calculator in physics that is what you will see in physiology. Of course most of the test questions are usually very easy as things cancel out with the numbers they give you. In practice, you aren't going to need to do these calculations often at all.

So you're telling me that I wasted my time and money AP'ing out of Calculus I/II and Statistics? **** ...

Ha, requirements for med school are ridiculous. I do think you need Calculus I and that's about it.

i think i squared something once
hahaha
Wait what? Required calculus? Have you guys ever read the MSAR? Very few schools require two semesters of calculus. Some require 1 semester of calculus but a majority require no calculus at all. I believe I applied to 17 schools and not one of them required calculus. Many do require at least two courses in mathematics, so if you are normal you took a pre-calc at the college level and then something else like stats or at least calculus I. There is a good portion that recommend/highly recommend calculus but that's not the same thing. I took two semesters of calculus and it was a mistake because I didn't have to. It depends on your major of course. Many chemistry majors would have to take calc I/II either way. I majored in bio and didn't have to but I took them.

You will never use calculus in medical school. Most of what you do in phys is physics type algebra, long division, or multiplication. If you remember plug and chug without a calculator in physics that is what you will see in physiology. Of course most of the test questions are usually very easy as things cancel out with the numbers they give you. In practice, you aren't going to need to do these calculations often at all.

I'm so happy I didn't listen to my pre-med advisor and take any calc. Im glad I read the MSAR over a year ago and found this site.

So you're telling me that I wasted my time and money AP'ing out of Calculus I/II and Statistics? **** ...

Ha, requirements for med school are ridiculous. I do think you need Calculus I and that's about it.

Statistics is actually quite useful, much more so than calc at least. Learning about the different types of error, power, odds ratios, etc. will help in your critical analysis of studies. Additionally, my school at least had a semester course on Preventive Medicine which was mostly biostatistics, and having a solid undergrad founding in stats made it extremely easy.

2) how much math you use in medical school is irrelevent because most medical schools require one if not two semesters of college calculus for admission.

That's not true at all. Most medical schools DO NOT require any kind of Calculus. A handful require one semester of Calculus and only three require two semesters of Calculus.

You need Trig to take Physics. If you're taking Trig in college, also try to take a semester of Statistics and you're set. Most schools just want two semesters of college math and some recommend (not require) Stats. I took College Algebra, Stats, and Trig.

Absolutely agree with the above. As far as i've seen, every medical school requires at least one semester of calculus (not pre-calculus, actual calculus), and then either a second semester of calc or a statistics

Again, not true. You guys, please stop spreading misinformation.

Again, not true. You guys, please stop spreading misinformation.
It's either rec, or req, and if it's rec, you might as well take it as a req. They aren't listing things for their health.

It's either rec, or req, and if it's rec, you might as well take it as a req. They aren't listing things for their health.

It's neither one for the majority of schools. More posters than I care to count on this very forum are in medical school without taking any Calculus whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's neither one for the majority of schools. More posters than I care to count on this very forum are in medical school without taking any Calculus whatsoever.
Have you looked at the MSAR?
Standards change.

http://www.sunysb.edu/healthed/mathandmedschool.shtml

This is from Lenoir-Rhyne:

.Medical.. Schools Requiring Calculus (schools not listed may require other...
.mathematics).
. .
1. University of California, Irvine College of Medicine
2. University of California, Los Angeles UCLA School of Medicine
3. University of California, San Diego School of Medicine
4. University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
5. John Hopkins University School of Medicine
6. Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine
7. Harvard Medical School
8. University of Minnesota Medical School - Minneapolis
9. University of Minnesota School of Medicine - Duluth
10. Washington University School of Medicine - St. Louis
11. University of Nebraska College of Medicine
12. Dartmouth Medical School
13. Duke University School of Medicine
14. Brown School of Medicine
15. Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine
16. Texas Tech University School of Medicine
17. University of Texas Medical School at Galveston
18. University of Texas Medical School at Houston
19. University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio
20. University Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern Medical School..

.MATH..: The math requirement is the only one that is variable among medical schools. About one-third of U.S. medical schools require a semester or year of calculus. Other schools only specify one or two semesters of math. All place more weight on calculus than on less demanding math courses. We recommend one year of calculus to preserve the option of applying to any medical school, and to acquire the most competitive credentials possible as an applicant..

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/school/Med School Course Reqs/MedSchlMathReq08.pdf

Have you looked at the MSAR?
Standards change.

Yes, of course. I wouldn't come here and make things up.

I just applied this past summer. I doubt the standards have changed during the current cycle.

.Medical.. Schools Requiring Calculus (schools not listed may require other...
.mathematics).
. .
6. Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine
20. University Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern Medical School..

.MATH..: The math requirement is the only one that is variable among medical schools. About one-third of U.S. medical schools require a semester or year of calculus. Other schools only specify one or two semesters of math. All place more weight on calculus than on less demanding math courses. We recommend one year of calculus to preserve the option of applying to any medical school, and to acquire the most competitive credentials possible as an applicant..

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nss/nav/pages/school/Med School Course Reqs/MedSchlMathReq08.pdf

Since when is 20 schools out of 100+ one-third? And as I said, the majority do not require Calculus. I'd also point out a lot of the schools posted above are state schools. If the University of MN requires Calculus, it wouldn't affect the majority of people who don't live in MN since most probably wouldn't be applying there.

Last edited:
according to suny 49 have math reqs.

http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/MedSchoolMath_Requirements_2009.pdf : stopped counting at 40.

big one from nyu....

I think what you in your infinite wisdom are forgetting is that schools are expecting calc and don't feel the need to remind students who aren't gaming the system that calculus is expected of competitive applicants.... If you've taken baby math the next step is real big girl math, not another college algebra/trig course.

Also, not every one takes baby trig physics.

What is the highest math you have used while in medical school the most? I'm great at science but not great at math I'm trying to see if I don't have to go past trignometry
I think we're missing the point here. If you plan on doing clinical research or you're going to be looking at research papers, it helps to have some background in statistics/calculus. Medical School may not have courses requiring you to use that math, but when you get into the job force, it helps to have familiarity with the concepts, especially when working in science fields.

.Medical.. Schools Requiring Calculus (schools not listed may require other.
.mathematics).

20. University Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Southwestern Medical School

Well Texas schools require either calculus or statistics, so you don't have to take cal if you don't want to.

Calc is not impossible, stats is definitely not impossible. The last thing you'll want to do is limit the schools that will even consider you because you didn't want to take Calc 1. Calc 1 is hardly going to be the most difficult course you're going to take in college, just do it so you have it. Its better than finding out during your senior year that the school that you really wanted to go to requires calc or stats.

And every premed should have an intro stats course. Look at medical studies and you'll see terms like P value and chi-squared test etc... If you ever have to evaluate a medical article down the line you're going to need to understand the significance of P < .001 compared to P < .05

according to suny 49 have math reqs.

http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/MedSchoolMath_Requirements_2009.pdf : stopped counting at 40.

big one from nyu....

I think what you in your infinite wisdom are forgetting is that schools are expecting calc and don't feel the need to remind students who aren't gaming the system that calculus is expected of competitive applicants.... If you've taken baby math the next step is real big girl math, not another college algebra/trig course.

A math requirement is not a calculus requirement. If you look at my original post, I said that most schools require a year of college math.

With that said, there's no need to be rude just because you disagree with my position.

I'm holding two acceptances, one waitlist and two more interviews in January. ZERO Calc. My highest level math was college trig. Anyone who said Calc is required at all schools or even most schools is lying. Flat out, over and out.

Hey douchebag, a lot of pre-meds haven't taken calc and they're doing just fine this cycle. You're talking out of your ass and you're being a complete douche to a member who's been very helpful in pre-allo.

I think we're missing the point here. If you plan on doing clinical research or you're going to be looking at research papers, it helps to have some background in statistics/calculus. Medical School may not have courses requiring you to use that math, but when you get into the job force, it helps to have familiarity with the concepts, especially when working in science fields.

Yeah, having a good understading of math will be helpful in pretty much any field you go into, especially if you want to be involved in research.

For those of you recommending taking calculus: Do you even remember how to do a derivative let alone integration? I sure as hell don't and will never need to do one for the rest of my life. I know what they stand for, but you learn those things in pre-calculus.

For those of you recommending taking calculus: Do you even remember how to do a derivative let alone integration? I sure as hell don't and will never need to do one for the rest of my life. I know what they stand for, but you learn those things in pre-calculus.
No offense, but you're still a medical student who hasn't even applied his knowledge in the real world. I never thought I'd apply some of the statistics or calculus I used but that's one of the first things expected of me while working in pharmaceuticals. That's a harsh over-generalization. And it's not like these courses are there to have you know how to do it, they're there to help you get familiar with it so that if you DO need to do it, you won't be like "wtf is that?" but "I remember that".

I am at a CA CC and most of my 4 year transfers require a year of calculus for my science major.

You should talk to your premed advisor!

No offense, but you're still a medical student who hasn't even applied his knowledge in the real world. I never thought I'd apply some of the statistics or calculus I used but that's one of the first things expected of me while working in pharmaceuticals. That's a harsh over-generalization. And it's not like these courses are there to have you know how to do it, they're there to help you get familiar with it so that if you DO need to do it, you won't be like "wtf is that?" but "I remember that".

I'm not going to work in pharmaceuticals. I am going to be a physician. When we learn pharmacology we have to understand concepts like pharmacokinetics, first order/zero order elimination. You definitely don't have to take calculus in order to understand slopes and what they mean. This is all pre-calculus, which is a requirement for general chemistry. Supposedly, all med students took pre-calculus in high school and certainly college. All of the pharmacological concepts can easily be learned during that course. The only calculations you do require zero calculus. Either way, physicians are not the ones doing the pharmacological studies. Samples are sent to the labs and they calculate them and for the drug research it is done by the pharmaceutical company. We should understand these things for Step I, but in practice it is not needed.

Statistics is an entirely different story though. I have used statistics in medical school and as physicians we have to understand the concepts for EBM. It's not even equivalent and what you said proves that the concepts of calculus are what are important (which are learned in pre-calculus first).

I'm not going to work in pharmaceuticals. I am going to be a physician. When we learn pharmacology we have to understand concepts like pharmacokinetics, first order/zero order elimination. You definitely don't have to take calculus in order to understand slopes and what they mean. This is all pre-calculus, which is a requirement for general chemistry. Supposedly, all med students took pre-calculus in high school and certainly college. All of the pharmacological concepts can easily be learned during that course. The only calculations you do require zero calculus. Either way, physicians are not the ones doing the pharmacological studies. Samples are sent to the labs and they calculate them and for the drug research it is done by the pharmaceutical company. We should understand these things for Step I, but in practice it is not needed.

Statistics is an entirely different story though. I have used statistics in medical school and as physicians we have to understand the concepts for EBM. It's not even equivalent and what you said proves that the concepts of calculus are what are important (which are learned in pre-calculus first).

:thumbup:

Wait what? So med schools may not require calc for admittance but they do require physics and many Universities require Calc as either a pre req or co-req to take second semester physics.
I may be wrong, but am how ever kinda confused:confused:

:D

Wait what? So med schools may not require calc for admittance but they do require physics and many Universities require Calc as either a pre req or co-req to take second semester physics.
I may be wrong, but am how ever kinda confused:confused:

:D

Many universities offer both calc based and algebra based physics. I don't think med school requirements specify which type should be taken as long as it includes two semesters of lab.