Can anyone recommend me any good Master's/Post-bac program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicago-girl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a senior in college now and looking for good post-bac programs (actually Master's degree programs) for Fall 2004. I am a Biological Chemistry major with all the pre-med classes completed. I need to raise my science GPA and it is one reason why I am looking into an additional degree.

My first question is: Does it matter significantly if you pursue a Master's Program in Physiology instead of a formal post-bac program? (I am looking into Master's program partly because I qualify to receive some scholarships.)

My second question is: Do any of you know post-bas programs that will award Master's degree or any good Master's degree programs available for pre-meds?

I found a good post-bac/MS program at Georgetown and at Chicago Medical...and didn't have much luck since.

I thank you in advance for your advices. They will be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chicago-girl

Members don't see this ad.

What about Tulane's program in Pharmacology or Anatomy?

There are several postbac programs, many of which can be found on aamc.org

Thanks for your reply. I will look into Tulane programs.

Does anyone have a preference between formal post-bac program vs. a master's degree program?

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that you'd need to take undergrad classes so they count toward your undergrad GPA, since that's what you said you want to improve. My guess is that Masters courses wouldn't count in calculating your undergrad GPA - you can investigate how GPA is calculated at www.aamc.org (AMCAS). The AMCAS has rules for what is, and isn't, included.

That would depend on how low the undergrad gpa is...if under 3.0 then it probably should be brought up to at least 3.0 with further undergrad classes. If the gpa is 3.0 or above it makes more sense to enroll in a special masters program such as Georgetown. Programs such as Georgetown's were tailor made for individuals whose academic credentials are boarderline...decent, but not quite good enough for acceptance to the majority of medical schools. Acheiving high-pass grades in MS-1 classes curved w/ other med students does a whole lot more talking than going from a 3.2 to a 3.3 in the eyes of most adcoms. (IMHO)

FYI: Don't believe the hype about applications being auto rejected by undergrad gpa. Most schools DO have a stated minimum gpa to apply (2.5-2.75), and apps received below this minimum will not be looked at (of course). But any application meeting the minimum requirements is up for consideration and will at least be looked at with human eyes once. If you are enrolled in a special masters program it's a good idea to make the schools you are applying to aware of it, and have the program director send a letter of current standing to them every term. With the cost of some of these programs you want to wring out every bit of leverage possible!

FYI II: It kinda goes w/o saying, but MCAT is still hugely important here. Doing well in a post bacc doesnt make up for a poor MCAT, at least in MD progs, DO maybe different story.

Thank you so very much for your info. It really helped alot. At one point, I wasn't sure if looking into Master's Program was a good idea. I do have a fair GPA, which isn't quite good enough to stand me out of other med-school applicants.

I have been looking into Georgetown program lately. Can anybody tell me how hard it is to get into the special master's prog there? I have't taken the MCAT yet, but will in April. I have 3.05 sci GPA. I have had some research experience. Lots of volunteering activities, and some exposure to clinical medicine.

Chicago girl,

-SMP Georgetown (hard as hell)
-Boston U. Masters in medical sciences (not that bad)
-MCP special science **** (haven't heard much)
-Finch program (pretty hard according to SDNers)

Gtown and BU have a good record of sending their program grads to med school.

Anything else (IMHO) is not worth it, unless you do a formal biochem (~2yrs) master's.

P.S. There is this one masters in neurosomething at Northwestern. It's a one year program.

I say go for post-bacc. It may not significantly boost your overall GPA but it will increase your science GPA. And often times, your science GPA is more important. So while your overall may only increase from a 3.2-3.3. Your science GPA may increase from a 2.7 to 3.0. That's nice

Also, Masters programs in general involve a lot of superfluous research classes. They may involve one or two real classes while involving many research classes. And med schools know that research classes translate to freebies. That's why med schools don't really fliinch when they see a person having a 3.5 GPA's or higher in Masters program. Most of their program consists of research classes so their GPA's tend to be high. Masters students tend to get B's in their real classes and straight A's in all of their research classes.

Post-bacc programs offer only real classes. Sure, they aren't as tough as say MS-1 classes, but when you are taking 5 or 6 of those per term without any fru fru research classes inflating your GPA, adcoms are impressed.

Plus, it just looks better. It's a lot easier getting an A in a post-bacc class than it is in a MS-1 class for obvious reasons. But an A is an A. If you have 6 A's of upper level science classes in a semester, schools are going to be impressed. However, the chances of you getting an A in an MS1 class is slim. B's and C's in MS1 classes aren't really going to turn an adcom on. So if you get A's in those MS1 classes, then definitley do the Special Masters route.

But if you can't get A's, I don't think it's worth the gamble. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying B's are bad. They are respectable, they just aren'g going to raise any eyebrows. And if you accidentally get a C in an MS1 class, you are toast, regardless of how tough that class is.

Does anyone know much about the Drexel Master's program?

any info on a 1 year master's in exercise phys? or 1 year MPH?

thanks

As a successful product of the UMDNJ master's program (accepted at NJMS for fall04), I figured I'd throw in my (albeit somewhat biased) two-cents.. the program is 30cr and entails taking half medical and half graduate courses.. the program has great placement into the two UMDNJ schools, and pretty good placement elsewhere, provided you do really well (esp in the med courses).

I agree with the above posts that if your gpa is below 3, a post-bacc might be a better option, as this will boost your UG gpa. In my situation, I had a 3.27 science and 3.35 cum gpa, which was OK but not stellar. In deciding master's over post-bacc, I also realized that if I didn't get in this time around, having a master's degree could help getting a job or other experience before I reapplied.

I remember going through the same process as you last year, trying to figure out which master's program would be best for me. I always felt the best resources were students currently in those programs so here's my two cents on Boston University's Masters in Medical Science.

The best thing about this program is that all your classes are medical school classes and in about half of those classes you are competing(I don't really like that word but it fits) with BU's first year medical school class. Thus, if you work hard and get A's in your classes you are basically showing adcoms that you can handle medical school, or even do better that most of a first year medical class(if you get the A).

Another great part of this program is the advising. The program has 6 advisors many of whom have sat on the BU medical school admissions committee. Get a good advisor and they will tell you flat out, what you need to do in order to get into medical school, no sugar coating. Your professors are medical school faculty as well, many of which sit on the admissions committee so they will help you out as well.

Here is the basics of the success rate of BU's students. About 5%(or about 10 students) get into medical school their first year in the program. This seems low but you have to factor in the enormous number of students that aren't even applying their first year. 85% get in by their second year. BU medical school accepts about 40 students from the medical science program each year.

What I liked about the program as well was the thesis(and many people choose Georgetown over BU because they don't have to write a thesis). BUT it is valuable at interviews. At a Columbia interview I was asked what this program offered me besides medical school courses and I was able to say that I was completing medical research. BU also has numerous volunteer opportunities.

Finally, if you do stay for two years you have the option of getting your MPH which I thought was enticing. Basically the masters in medical science degree can easily be completed in 1 year. So what if you don't get into medical school right away? Well there is the MPH + numerous research opportunities.

Also, Boston is a great city. That factor alone tipped BU's program above Georgetowns. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

How competitive is the BU program to get into in the first place? i can't seem to find that info on it. I have a pretty high gpa (3.6 science and 3.7 overall), but my mcat is a 25. I am wondering if this score will keep me out of this program, or any master's program in general. Thanks!

Originally posted by belljar
How competitive is the BU program to get into in the first place? i can't seem to find that info on it. I have a pretty high gpa (3.6 science and 3.7 overall), but my mcat is a 25. I am wondering if this score will keep me out of this program, or any master's program in general. Thanks!

Hey belljar,

(To be honest, I think you're GPAs are excellent for med school and all you have to do is raise your MCAT score slightly. I think the national average right now is between 28-29.)

But I've heard mixed opinions about BU and I would suggest calling the admissions faculty and telling them your numbers to see if you can get into the MS program. Most faculty are pretty good about telling you your chances informally over the phone or at least telling you their average scores for admission.

Good luck.

- Duder

Thanks duder,

I am actually applying to med school right now, and i am realizing that although my gpa may be competitive, my mcat is terrible. And i am planning on taking the mcat in april again, which haunts me every night when i try to sleep. I blew the verbal, and no matter what i do, i really don't think i can raise it even though i have never had problems w/ reading comp. I got a 5 in verbal and the other thing is that this score is the lowest i have ever scored, even lower than the first diag i took when all this studyign took place. I don;t know if i'll get in, but hopefully my april mcat will be better than this score! And thanks for your encouragement. After all my recent rejections, you made me smile.

Originally posted by belljar

I won't speak for the admissions people in Georgetown's SMP, but I will say that it seems they will tend to take a person with marginal GPA/high MCATs over someone with a high GPA/marginal MCATs. That was the profile of me and most of my classmates there. We tended to have below average grades (<3.5) and average/above average MCATs (>28). As far as I have seen, their advice to people in your situation is to save the tuition $$$ and instead take a good MCAT prep course, if that is your only real weak point. You've proven you can handle tough coursework, now you just have to overcome that hurdle.

For what it's worth, from what I have seen, the students with high GPA/low MCAT were more likely to have the program hurt them than help them (eg, they didn't get great grades, which looks worse than low MCATs).

My suggestion is to definitely go for the masters degree in a field you enjoy and would love to work in as a career. I believe this for a couple of reasons. Naturally studying for a subject you love is easier than studying for something that is not a passion. Likely your grades will be higher as well in this case.

Also med school admissions folks are completely unimpressed by classes taken to pad the GPA toward the end of an undergraduate. Padder classes show nothing more than you have a strong interest in attending medical school. While this is important, it's better off to demonstrate a realism about the process. That is, you might not get in on your first attempt. And when you are asked, "what happens if you don't get in this year?" You can tell them that you'll work in the area you love, continue strengthening your application, and start applying again the following June.

Generally graduate school classes are closer to the level of medical school courses . Without question admissions committee will look more favorably upon these than undergraduate GPA padders. Although to be honest, the actual transcript is rarely examined prior to the interview, just the GPA is looked at. Don?t apologize for your undergraduate GPA. If they ask why you opted for a graduate degree, you can tell them you became more serious about school as time went on. That you decided to become a physician, but did not want to take undergraduate classes solely to pad the GPA. And that you felt the advanced science classes would benefit your career as physician and clinical researcher.

If you demonstrate strong ability in graduate school and are able to maintain a decent balanced lifestyle, you're going to be much more interesting at the interview than 90% of the other candidates. Plus you're likely to have more interesting and personalized letters of recommendation from your graduate school committee members. Never underestimate the value of these letters.

Oh, if you get the chance to teach while in graduate school, jump at it. Medical schools across the country are seriously worried about the declining interest in academic medicine. The question is who will teach the future clinical medicine courses in medical school? So, if you have any teaching ability, make sure your advisors mention this in the letters of recommendation.