Can anyone share some Linkage sucess stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiracer123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a postbacc program now with linkage to a few medical schools. This option is pretty attractive - lets me save a year on my way to an MD. I wonder if anyone else has pursued this route? What can I do to maximize my chances in a linkage program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the postbacc route is def a good one! If you are trying to figure out which one to go to..i would recommend finding out if the med school will take yyou the following year, provided that you get a certain mcat score and gpa. Some schools will take you for sure, others will not. Is there a contract with the school? Or, is the program just a prep and offers no guarantees? Just some questions you should consider! Good Luck!;)

skiracer123: which program are you in right now?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
At Midwestern University Osteopathic school, 8 members applied from the 2001 class. And all 8 member got accepted into the Osteopthic (DO) school the following year even with subpar MCATs.

I was enrolled in UCONN's post-bacc program and was accepted to UCONN School of Medicine. UCONN accepts about 85-90% or their post -bacc students into the med school.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm in Columbia's Postbacc program. They offer a few spots at Brown, Some SUNY schools, Temple, and a couple other programs through something called 'linkage'. This means that you don't have to take a whole year to apply, rather you can begin Medical School in September of the year in which you finish your postbacc classes - also you don't have to take the MCATS.

I know Bryn Mawr has the same kind of program and I was wondering if anyone at Columbia or Bryn Mawr has had any success with Linkage. If so, I'd love some advice.

Thanks

Originally posted by skiracer123
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm in Columbia's Postbacc program. They offer a few spots at Brown, Some SUNY schools, Temple, and a couple other programs through something called 'linkage'. This means that you don't have to take a whole year to apply, rather you can begin Medical School in September of the year in which you finish your postbacc classes - also you don't have to take the MCATS.

This statement is somewhat misleading with regard to the MCAT. According to this site 6 out of the 7 schools that Columbia links with (with the exception of Brown) DO require the MCAT. I don't know if that website is wrong, and as a student in the program, you would certainly know better than me. I just wanted to point that out.

Hey skiracer,

I didn't do linkage, but I know a bunch of people who did (from Columbia postbacc) and got in. Most of them had to take the MCAT, although even if you didn't have to you would probably want to anyway, since if you don't get in you'll have to go through the normal application process.

Overall it seems that linkage here isn't too tough, but I think that lots of people avoid it since A) it pushes everything up, which means that you'll be doing your application and interviews during the same semester as Orgo II/Bio II/MCAT, and B) the range of schools is pretty limited (e.g. none of the Manhattan schools), so many people want to try to apply to some other places with different locations, better rankings/research, etc.

IMO it's a good option if you're sure you want to go to one of the schools, but I think the whole issue of skipping the third year is a little bit overrated. The lag year is actually pretty fun if you play it right (I just started mine), and it gives you a last chance to wind down and have fun before you start med school while still doing something interesting. I guess that's one of the good things about this program - when you see lots of people who are in their late 20's/early 30's, you don't feel so bad about being a couple of years older than the undergrad premeds :). It's obviously a lot more expensive to do all of the applications/secondaries/interviews, but I think it's worth it to not lock yourself into a place that you're not sure of.

If you're really interested, you should hunt down one of the advisors (if there are any left at this point :rolleyes: ) and talk to them. They also have some sort of information session at some point where you can learn everything about it.

Uss, you're right about the MCATs for most of the schools, but Brown is the school I am considering now.

US Maple, thanks for the encouragement. I agree that the lag year could be a good time, but I'm pretty in love with Brown. I spent a lot of time in RI growing up and its impossible to apply to outside of the linkage program, so I've been seriously considering it. Do you know anyone who was accepted to Brown through linkage this past year? I would love some advice about what I can do to make my application more attractive (besides getting A's of course).

Thanks again.

Us Maple,

Do you have any advice on suceeding in the linkage programs? What did your friends that were accepted through linkage have in common?

Thanks

Michigan State University ABLE program, for minority/disadvantaged students. Usually about 8 are accepted, and are guaranteed a spot as long as the pass the postbac year with a B. In the history of it, maybe like only 1 person didnt make it because they werent serious. Its a great program, though u've to apply to MSU-CHm med schl and be rejected, then referred to post bac selection. Pretty competitive, people with Michigan ties get preference, though I know a couple of minority out of staters hwo went through, and they give stipend of $540/2 weeks, $40/day :p
Plus u dont have to take the MCAt over and u dont do Anatomy 1st yr, since u already did it during ur ABLE year.

www.chm.msu.edu
do a search for ABLE there