Can being African American help somebody get into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abdc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if schools are still looking for diversity even in their graduate programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Not saure about pharmacy, but drop by the medical forum. There is so much debate on this.

Blacks are still classified as minorities and most schools still like to have diversity. However, I would not want to admit a student based on the fact that he/she is a minority, if they are not qualified for the position. That in my opinion would not be fair. Folks need to stray away from the stereotypes that plague their ethnic groups. Just my $0.02:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think diversity is a worthy goal but everyone needs to have a baseline level of competence/aptitude. It's unfair otherwise. And no, I don't mean admitting minority students is unfair to "whites". I mean it would be unfair to admit a minority student solely on the basis of skin color if he or she didn't have the skills to succeed in the program. It would be setting him or her up for failure and wasting their time/money. That benefits no one.

What I support are initiatives to encourage talented minority students to pursue pharmacy. These could take the form of mentoring, scholarships, summer programs and just taking the time/energy to advertise your program in the right places to attract a diverse applicant pool.

If you're looking for a URM bonus, look at law schools. The overt, distinct boosts that URMs get in law school admissions chafes the hide of a lot of folks that grew up in extremely challenging SES conditions but aren't technically a URM.

But, as owle said, it's anyone's guess if there is an overt boost given to a URM in pharmacy like there is in law. If there is, it's very subtle.

I think diversity is a worthy goal but everyone needs to have a baseline level of competence/aptitude. It's unfair otherwise. And no, I don't mean admitting minority students is unfair to "whites". I mean it would be unfair to admit a minority student solely on the basis of skin color if he or she didn't have the skills to succeed in the program. It would be setting him or her up for failure and wasting their time/money. That benefits no one.

What I support are initiatives to encourage talented minority students to pursue pharmacy. These could take the form of mentoring, scholarships, summer programs and just taking the time/energy to advertise your program in the right places to attract a diverse applicant pool.

Already beat you to it.:smuggrin:

Already beat you to it.:smuggrin:

I just like to hear myself talk! :smuggrin:

I think that theory applies to anyone who might get into pharmacy school for whatever "special" reason. Maybe they got admitted because they are really hot. Or maybe they are really rich and Daddy bought their seat. Or maybe they slept with the admissions director! :eek: Whatever the reason, someone who is unqualified is gonna sink to the bottom and be a drag on everyone!

I think that theory applies to anyone who might get into pharmacy school for whatever "special" reason. Maybe they got admitted because they are really hot. Or maybe they are really rich and Daddy bought their seat. Or maybe they slept with the admissions director! :eek: Whatever the reason, someone who is unqualified is gonna sink to the bottom and be a drag on everyone!

:smuggrin:

Unless they're really hot. Then they'll probably still be OK :smuggrin:

Unless they're really hot. Then they'll probably still be OK :smuggrin:

Nuh Uh! I ain't got no time for the "hot but dumb" types in pharmacy school. I especially don't want to be on a rotation with them!!! Even my pool boys have to have a minimum IQ to make the cut! :smuggrin:

I feel like Pharmacy doesn't really look at the skin color and to be honest I like that. I totally shun the idea of affimative action on the grounds that there is nothing worse than getting the feeling that your only in the major leauges as a poster boy of "progress". I would hate to be set up for failure! I feel that if you truly want minorities to get into professional and graduate programs you have to get them introduced and educated to it from an early start. Setting different markers for different races won't do. It simply supports that its possible some races aren't as smart as others.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to consider a slightly different question. I am a minority, does this school acknowledge and embrace my worldview or do I have to pretend I am someone else?

Last edited:
I think being Latino can help you get into any school nowadays. AA not so much, IMO. You may want to consider a slightly different question. I am a minority, does this school acknowledge and embrace my worldview or do I have to pretend I am someone else?

As a minority, I find plenty of narrow minded hate and ignorance directed towards me on a daily basis. (If you have never been threatened with a baseball bat or called various names, then your criticism of my post has no relevance. )

Would that be more due to the fact that the Latino might know a second language that can prove useful in pharmacy?

Just wondering if schools are still looking for diversity even in their graduate programs.
When you're thinking of something that makes you, personally, special or unique, is "African American" the first thing that comes to mind? Do you have no skills, talents, or good qualities that might supersede it? Is your skin color the number one attribute that you feel you, as an individual, have to offer the school?

...then that's really sad, and I certainly hope you don't get in.

On one hand, the pre-professional advisor at my school told me that yes, pharmacy schools want a diverse class. He said that at the end of a cycle, some adcoms do sit around a table saying, "Okay, we need one more of this type of person, and one more of that kind of person."

But, everyone on the table in the first place is going to be a qualified applicant. So, to answer the OP, it could help, but things like a high GPA/PCAT score/work experience are going to help a lot more.

When you're thinking of something that makes you, personally, special or unique, is "African American" the first thing that comes to mind? Do you have no skills, talents, or good qualities that might supersede it? Is your skin color the number one attribute that you feel you, as an individual, have to offer the school?

...then that's really sad, and I certainly hope you don't get in.

Whoa chill out. You're making too many assumptions with that statement.

There are some schools that will have quotas to fill. They're not gonna explicitly say it, but it's there. Also, look at the HBCU's that have COPs (Texas Southern, Howard for some).