can i afford to be a dentist????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastor's wife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a pastor's wife, and i would like to work only part time after i have kids. will i be able to pay off my debt in a reasonable amount of time? am i going to be in debt (lots of it) for the rest of my life? do i have no choic but to work full time as a dentist??????

:(

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it really depends on where you go to school and how much you have to take out in loans. if you take out $180k in loans you're probably looking at paying $1000+ a month in loan payments, but working part time you should be able to make at least $5000 a month. i'd say you stand to make some money off the deal, especially once your kids are old enough that you can work a little more than part time. if you just work from 9 to 2 while your kids are in school i think that would definitely pay the bills and leave you with a nice bit of spending money or IRA money, depending on your plans.

It is not unusual for female dentists to work part time after having children. Considering your potential income, I don't feel that the debt from school will be that huge of a problem.

As you know attending a state school will reduce your debt and also you can sign up for the navy/airforce any they will pay for your school (I am considering this).

Members don't see this ad :)
As you know attending a state school will reduce your debt and also you can sign up for the navy/airforce any they will pay for your school (I am considering this).[/QUOTE]

You can also sign up with the gov.'t program that will pay tuition for you if you promise to work a few years in an "underserved area". that would cut your costs way down and it's surprising which areas are "underserved".

SuperC said:
It is not unusual for female dentists to work part time after having children. Considering your potential income, I don't feel that the debt from school will be that huge of a problem.

As you know attending a state school will reduce your debt and also you can sign up for the navy/airforce any they will pay for your school (I am considering this).

Don't sign up for the military, they'll find a way to screw you and you'll make more money on your own with the freedom to do and go where you want to go.

-OB- said:
Don't sign up for the military, they'll find a way to screw you and you'll make more money on your own with the freedom to do and go where you want to go.

Can you give a little more information on how you know this? I was considering the military also...

sunphish said:
Can you give a little more information on how you know this? I was considering the military also...

As was I...

I mean after your 4 years working on a base are you free from them completely?

sunphish said:

I would just suggest doing your research and not take anything that they tell you to be the truth. A lot of my friends have served in the military and they have all warned me to stay away. The recruiters will be your best friends until you sign with them, then they treat you like dirt. I'm sure that some people have better experiences but I wouldn't chance it. Also, you are free after 4 years of service but how much do they pay you during those 4 years? Take that amount and add you tuition to it....if you believe that you can make that much without joining the service then why bother?