Can I be a neurosurgeon and a cardiac surgeon? Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mantranz11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a final year medical student in Malaysia and I have an interest in both these fields. Was just wondering is it even possible to do both?

Members don't see this ad.

just a student's guess here... but I think if you were trained in both, you might end up not very good at either. these fields take dedication.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Quick answer: No.

Two completely different tracks and neither is a field that you do part-time. Remember that it isn't just about the surgery but also the management. All of that takes time to learn and master. Find the one thing you really enjoy and go full bore. Cheers.

Why stop there? You should aim to be a pediatric cardiac neurosurgical oncologist and operate only on malignancies of the AV node in infants and neonates.

Reactions: 2 users
You can be everything, and not very good at anything.

Why would you want to? Both specialties require at least 6-7 years of training following med school and both are very demanding. Very frequently you can get called to operate in the middle of the night for either specialty alone, let alone both.

Why would you want to? Both specialties require at least 6-7 years of training following med school and both are very demanding. Very frequently you can get called to operate in the middle of the night for either specialty alone, let alone both.

hell do both. guy has a tumor? take it out. also needs a CABG and AVR? might as well do it while you're in there

If you want a serious answer, you could do cerebrovascular neurosurgery. You get to operate on the brain, but also on blood vessels and deal with cardiovascular disease.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a final year medical student in Malaysia and I have an interest in both these fields. Was just wondering is it even possible to do both?

Can you please not disparage Malaysia... no final year medical student in the world would ask such a silly question seriously.

Reactions: 1 user