Can I be a UMR applican? Would it make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hell all, I am an emigrant from Pakistan and have been living in the US for than 20 years. We left our country because of religious persecution. We had to leave all we had in Pakistan. None in my family spoke English when we came here, only I did. I am the first to go to college and graduate in my family. Historically there has always been a shortage of doctor in Pakistan and Pakistani community doesn't get medical help as a vast majority of them can afford medical insurance and language barriers. Because of financial issues I had to go to school part time and work 30 or more hours as I worked on my UG. I then when to Nursing school and am an RN now. My age is also an issue being a 41 years old applicant, I am not a typical guy. My BS Biology GPA is 3.55 and sGPA is 3.61. However my nursing school GPA is 2.72 (I know it sucks). I got married right before nursing school and had my first daughter during the school as I completed the accelerated BSN (18months). Marriage, work, and child birth took tool on my GPA. Now I have 3 kids, and 2 of them go to school. I don't have worries like I did in Nursing school. I have been a business owner for 5 years, worked as a HVAC tech, did pizza delivery, worked as a waiter, to support my education and family. My MCAT is in September and I am an Indiana resident. My question is can I register for URM and if yes, would it make any difference. All input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hell all, I am an emigrant from Pakistan and have been living in the US for than 20 years. We left our country because of religious persecution. We had to leave all we had in Pakistan. None in my family spoke English when we came here, only I did. I am the first to go to college and graduate in my family. Historically there has always been a shortage of doctor in Pakistan and Pakistani community doesn't get medical help as a vast majority of them can afford medical insurance and language barriers. Because of financial issues I had to go to school part time and work 30 or more hours as I worked on my UG. I then when to Nursing school and am an RN now. My age is also an issue being a 41 years old applicant, I am not a typical guy. My BS Biology GPA is 3.55 and sGPA is 3.61. However my nursing school GPA is 2.72 (I know it sucks). I got married right before nursing school and had my first daughter during the school as I completed the accelerated BSN (18months). Marriage, work, and child birth took tool on my GPA. Now I have 3 kids, and 2 of them go to school. I don't have worries like I did in Nursing school. I have been a business owner for 5 years, worked as a HVAC tech, did pizza delivery, worked as a waiter, to support my education and family. My MCAT is in September and I am an Indiana resident. My question is can I register for URM and if yes, would it make any difference. All input is appreciated.

South Asians are considered Over Represented in Medicine.

Technically you do not register as a URM. You select your race and the committee determines if you are a Under Represented Minority. Judging from your story, you could potentially select the disadvantage box. Not sure what type of affect that will have in your chances of getting an acceptance. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
technically you do not register as a urm. You select your race and the committee determines if you are a under represented minority. Judging from your story, you could potentially select the disadvantage box. Not sure what type of affect that will have in your chances of getting an acceptance. Good luck

+1

You have a great GPA, Great life story, if you did well on the MCAT you could easily do Osteopathic. I don't know if those nursing classes would count towards your science GPA.