Can I become a dentist If I have a Healed Cartilage tear in my Wrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamrose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a few years ago I teared a piece of my TFCC which is located on the inferior ulnar side of my wrist. It has dramatically healed over the course of a year and I know find myself able to surpass my abilities in my weight/strength training. However, there are days in the gym where I feel the awkward tension in my wrist come back and there are sometimes nights I can't sleep until i find a "right" position for my wrist to lay in to mask the uncomfortable-ness

My question to you dentists:

Would this be a sort of issue I need to view with caution before pursuing dentistry?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the damage in your dominate hand?

I have some similar wrist damage in my non-dominate wrist due to my pre-dentist life working with a jackhammer for long hours. It has never been a problem professionally. However, I have to be careful about not using the mirror to retract for long periods of time or my hand goes numb. I have learned to adapt and it has worked out fine for many, many years.

I'm not sure my result would have been so good if the damage had been to my dominate wrist.

Last edited:
Is the damage in your dominate hand?

I have some similar wrist damage in my non-dominate wrist due to my pre-dentist life working with a jackhammer for long hours. It has never been a problem professionally. However, I have to be careful about not using the mirror to retract for long periods of time or my hand goes numb. I have learned to adapt and it has worked out fine for many, many years.

I'm not sure my result would have been so good if the damage had been to my dominate wrist.
It is in my dominant right hand.

Is this something to seriously consider and check out with a professional before committing to dental school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it only bothers you while weight lifting and hasn't really had an impact on the rest of your life, it probably won't be a problem. If you build models or paint or sculpt or play guitar or tie flies or make Tibetan sand mandalas or anything like that as a hobby, that might be a better indicator. It's hard to judge something like this online without knowing you or the extent of your injury, and to do so would make the mods all kinds of angry. If it helps though, I have a plate and 4 screws in my dominant hand and it hasn't slowed me down at all. If you're seriously nervous about it talk to a Dr. about it and see what they suggest, and avoid one handed windmills while breakdancing.

Reactions: 1 users
If it only bothers you while weight lifting and hasn't really had an impact on the rest of your life, it probably won't be a problem. If you build models or paint or sculpt or play guitar or tie flies or make Tibetan sand mandalas or anything like that as a hobby, that might be a better indicator. It's hard to judge something like this online without knowing you or the extent of your injury, and to do so would make the mods all kinds of angry. If it helps though, I have a plate and 4 screws in my dominant hand and it hasn't slowed me down at all. If you're seriously nervous about it talk to a Dr. about it and see what they suggest, and avoid one handed windmills while breakdancing.
Yeah it only bothers me during specific shoulder exercises where i pronate my wrist and grab a dumbbell and do lateral or front raises, any other exercise has been 100% comfortable. i will look into it thank you

Can you hold a pen/pencil and write for a while comfortably?

It is similar to form to how you hold a handpiece, although handpieces are obviously much heavier.

I have similar discomfort in my left wrist over the last 3 years, but things have gotten a lot better and I too go to the gym.

1. Be on a great joint support. They often have links to even healing cartilage or making it a lot more manageable. You should be protecting your joints at all cost. Amazon product

2. Since you want to be a dentist, you have no business lifting weights unless you have dedicated wrist straps. Amazon product . I even use work out gloves on top of these Amazon product . I started using two 6 months ago. I couldn't finish a chest press 3 sets of 12 with 30 lb dumbbells without my left wrist giving out and getting tired. It was a constant hindrance. Now I'm doing complete sets of 55lb dumbbells without any issues at all.

3. Do wrist curls(consult your dr first though). Mine told me to do this, i needed to strength other parts of my wrist. I do reverse barbell curls to work my forearm too.

4. Eat a bit healthier. Junk food can really cause unnecessary flare ups. I have a green smoothie every morning now. 2 scoops of protein, a bunch of kale or spinach, a few strawberries, a banana, 2 teaspoons of fish oil(very essential imo Amazon product ) and 2 table spoons of olive oil. Whatever aches I do have that day if any, they go away within an hour.

5. Keep consulting your dr, try even going to physical therapy. Learn the exercises and do them. Just be careful at the gym and don't over to it. And look up creams for your wrist (like biofreeze)

Good luck!

I have similar discomfort in my left wrist over the last 3 years, but things have gotten a lot better and I too go to the gym.

1. Be on a great joint support. They often have links to even healing cartilage or making it a lot more manageable. You should be protecting your joints at all cost. Amazon product

2. Since you want to be a dentist, you have no business lifting weights unless you have dedicated wrist straps. Amazon product . I even use work out gloves on top of these Amazon product . I started using two 6 months ago. I couldn't finish a chest press 3 sets of 12 with 30 lb dumbbells without my left wrist giving out and getting tired. It was a constant hindrance. Now I'm doing complete sets of 55lb dumbbells without any issues at all.

3. Do wrist curls(consult your dr first though). Mine told me to do this, i needed to strength other parts of my wrist. I do reverse barbell curls to work my forearm too.

4. Eat a bit healthier. Junk food can really cause unnecessary flare ups. I have a green smoothie every morning now. 2 scoops of protein, a bunch of kale or spinach, a few strawberries, a banana, 2 teaspoons of fish oil(very essential imo Amazon product ) and 2 table spoons of olive oil. Whatever aches I do have that day if any, they go away within an hour.

5. Keep consulting your dr, try even going to physical therapy. Learn the exercises and do them. Just be careful at the gym and don't over to it. And look up creams for your wrist (like biofreeze)

Good luck!

I am happy there is someone to relate too.
I have been there in your position but my wrist has recovered and i think i owe it too my patience, a lot of research, and dedication with training
stats:
Bench press: 4-5 reps 205 lbs
curls: 4-5 reps 45/50's
squats: 4-5 reps 205

I used to wear wrist straps when it was bad, but i guess now that I'm considering a career involving my wrists, its a no brainer to always use them

I am curious about the olive and fish oil though. do you have more information on the link between those and cartilage healing? i couldn't find much

ps: i also took chondroitin/glucosamine for a while, not sure if it helped or not

I am happy there is someone to relate too.
I have been there in your position but my wrist has recovered and i think i owe it too my patience, a lot of research, and dedication with training
stats:
Bench press: 4-5 reps 205 lbs
curls: 4-5 reps 45/50's
squats: 4-5 reps 205

I used to wear wrist straps when it was bad, but i guess now that I'm considering a career involving my wrists, its a no brainer to always use them

I am curious about the olive and fish oil though. do you have more information on the link between those and cartilage healing? i couldn't find much

ps: i also took chondroitin/glucosamine for a while, not sure if it helped or not

olive and fish oil help with aches and decrease inflammation. The fish oil really helps with your joints too. Be on joint support consistently too since your wrist isn't 100% and other parts of it will over compensate.

olive and fish oil help with aches and decrease inflammation. The fish oil really helps with your joints too. Be on joint support consistently too since your wrist isn't 100% and other parts of it will over compensate.
are you worried about actions involving supination?

I wear wrist wraps every time I lift weights. My body-especially my right arm which is my moneymaker.