About the ads

Can I directly apply for Pgy2 without Pgy1?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Residencies and Fellowships' started by gammaknife, Dec 6, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. gammaknife

gammaknife

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I graduated with bs pharmacy in 1998 and just graduated with pharmd this august. I have 5 yrs retail and more than 3 yrs of hospital inpatient pharmacy experience. I have been advised that I can directly apply for pgy2 residencies with my experience acc to ashp guidelines. I am not sure of the above. Thanks for any advice.
  2. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    To participate in an ASHP accredited PGY2 program you will have to apply for an exemption for the PGY1 completion requirement (http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/pgy1exmp.pdf).

You could potentially participate in a non-accredited PGY2 program without obtaining this exemption. However, the vast majority of applicants will have completed a PGY1 for these programs as well.
  3. gammaknife

gammaknife

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks. If I get an pgy1 exemption, the pgy2 programs may not consider someone without a pgy1 in real world. I don't know how the competition is for pgy2. Might be similar to pgy1 i guess. How can i find the list of pgy1 and pgy2 non accredited programs list? Thanks again
  4. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    ACCP and google are probably your best bets to find non-accredited programs.