About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I directly apply for Pgy2 without Pgy1?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Residencies and Fellowships' started by gammaknife, Dec 6, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. gammaknife

gammaknife

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I graduated with bs pharmacy in 1998 and just graduated with pharmd this august. I have 5 yrs retail and more than 3 yrs of hospital inpatient pharmacy experience. I have been advised that I can directly apply for pgy2 residencies with my experience acc to ashp guidelines. I am not sure of the above. Thanks for any advice.
  2. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    To participate in an ASHP accredited PGY2 program you will have to apply for an exemption for the PGY1 completion requirement (http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/pgy1exmp.pdf).

You could potentially participate in a non-accredited PGY2 program without obtaining this exemption. However, the vast majority of applicants will have completed a PGY1 for these programs as well.
  3. gammaknife

gammaknife

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks. If I get an pgy1 exemption, the pgy2 programs may not consider someone without a pgy1 in real world. I don't know how the competition is for pgy2. Might be similar to pgy1 i guess. How can i find the list of pgy1 and pgy2 non accredited programs list? Thanks again
  4. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    ACCP and google are probably your best bets to find non-accredited programs.