Can I Do It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whorax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a couple of questions really, and I'm hoping I'm putting this tread in the correct section. (If not, sorry!)

I'm currently a Freshman in college. I guess my first and foremost question is, do I have what it takes to make it to--and through--med school? I was, all the way through high school, set on going to college for something business oriented. I only took three sciences in high school, and it was during my freshman and sophomore year: psychical science, biology, and earth science; receiving a B, C, and A in the order stated. I don't want to make up excuses, but I believe a combination of poor teaching + a lot of a lack of effort on my part is why I received those grades in those classes. Aside from my sciences, I've done spectacular in high school, getting over a 4.0 GPA at the end of my senior year. I've never really needed to apply myself in high school though while taking honors and AP classes, so I wouldn't exactly say my work ethic/drive is all too spectacular coming into college. Needless to say, real college life is hitting me square in the face letting me know my study habits in high school won't get me anywhere in college.

I think my previous experiences in science classes have sort of scared me into not taking anymore sciences in high school, and I still have a bit of a fear of them now. Problem being, as I'm on this forum, I kind of think I'd like to pursue a career in Psychiatry. From what I've looked into the profession, along with what I've experienced in my Psychology 101 class, I think it's a very intriguing field! (More intriguing than business, most definitely. :p )

I guess what I'm leading to with this is can I handle the barrage of sciences that I haven't taken in a whole 4 years, or ever in my life? Needless to say if I put in effort and dedication, this time around. If so, what should I major in to prepare myself for med school and for Psychiatry? The reason I ask about the major is that I would major in psychology (seeing as I find it interesting), but it's offered through the Arts and Sciences school at my university...kind of off-putting in my personal opinion. Also, the research I've done on the internet claims that a B.S. in Psychology is a very useless major.

I'm just afraid that my idiotic, high school self completely screwed me over for any career path/major that isn't a piece of cake to get through. I had begun to realize during my senior year that I'm really not incredibly smart like I would like to think I am. I'm in the Honors program at my university, but I still don't think that says anything about how well I would fare in completely alien sciences courses.

Thank you to anyone that has taken the time to read through this (and give a response). I greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,
-T

Members don't see this ad.

-psychology is not psychiatry
-your choice of undergraduate major is of no consequence whatsoever for med school admissions or psychiatry residency
-you are putting the carriage before the horse. Nobody 'prepares' for a career in psychiatry with undergraduate courses. Rather one should prepare for medical school admissions and medical school achievement with their undergraduate courses (but mostly just admissions).
-You should probably be in the pre-med section with these questions.

-psychology is not psychiatry
-your choice of undergraduate major is of no consequence whatsoever for med school admissions or psychiatry residency
-you are putting the carriage before the horse. Nobody 'prepares' for a career in psychiatry with undergraduate courses. Rather one should prepare for medical school admissions and medical school achievement with their undergraduate courses (but mostly just admissions).
-You should probably be in the pre-med section with these questions.
I know psychology and psychiatry are different, but I was wondering if psychology would be a good choice for me if I was interested in psychiatry and really if psychology is a reputable major for med school, or if the major doesn't necessarily matter as long as I've got my science courses, etc.
Nontheless, thanks for the reply. And sorry about the section mix up.

EDIT: By the way, is there a way I can move the post myself, or does a forum moderator of some sort need to do so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your major doesn't matter. I majored in something even less of a "science" than psychology.

Do well in all classes, do well on MCAT, get some meaningful letters of rec, and do some interesting extracurricular activities = acceptance to med school.

If you get a string of crappy grades in college that will perhaps preclude you from admission to an MD school, look towards DO schools (as they do grade replacement).

Moderators move threads; I don't think regular users can.

Your major doesn't matter. I majored in something even less of a "science" than psychology.

Moderators move threads; I don't think regular users can.
Yeah, I had started to realize that after further digging in these forums that a few people in med school get along perfectly fine with a history/english/etc. undergrad.
Thanks for the reply.

You won't know until you try...
As a freshman you'll want to avoid the "easy" "science for art majors" type courses--that will perpetuate the situation for you. (That's not to say you should be trying to take differential equations with engineering students this year either.) But you need to experience college-level biology and intro chemistry at least, and then, while it's OK to major in psychology, aim toward neuroscience-based courses, biochem, cell biology and the like.
As to major, what do you WANT to major in? Do it, and do it well.

I know psychology and psychiatry are different, but I was wondering if psychology would be a good choice for me if I was interested in psychiatry and really if psychology is a reputable major for med school, or if the major doesn't necessarily matter as long as I've got my science courses, etc.
Nontheless, thanks for the reply. And sorry about the section mix up.

EDIT: By the way, is there a way I can move the post myself, or does a forum moderator of some sort need to do so?
I was a hardcore cell and molecular bio major until I took my first psychopathology class. Changed my major to psychology and changed my life plan. I am now an OMS4 applying to psychiatry residency. If you have questions regarding pursuing psychology vs psychiatry, you can PM me as I was in that position a few years ago. That said, you're a freshman! Good lord, go have fun exploring everything and don't spend too much time thinking about all this yet lol. You absolutely do not need to major in a science to get into medical school, so go with whatever field calls to your heart. FYI there's many things one can do with a BS in psych, it just won't be a six figure salary.

While I generally agree with what most people have said, I will say that majoring in psychology won't hurt you if you go to med school and try for psychiatry. I was a psych major, and it was a point that was brought up at my interviews, that I had a shown a strong, long history of interest in behavioral science. I think that this "track record" helped me. Not saying everyone would feel the same way. Also, just because you major in psych doesn't mean you will have to do psychiatry, and majoring in something else certainly doesn't exclude you.

You don’t have to major in science to get into medical school, but you do have to take science. There will be plenty of time to see if you have the talent for it. If you are interested in making lots of money, go into business. If you like science, medicine is a safe place once you get in. If you are looking for a safe employable field for a BS that has most of the science you need to apply to medicine, these look like chemistry, biomedical engineering, maybe biochem. Nothing says you can’t do business and take organic chem, biology, physics and calculus on your elective time.

You won't know until you try...
As a freshman you'll want to avoid the "easy" "science for art majors" type courses--that will perpetuate the situation for you. (That's not to say you should be trying to take differential equations with engineering students this year either.) But you need to experience college-level biology and intro chemistry at least, and then, while it's OK to major in psychology, aim toward neuroscience-based courses, biochem, cell biology and the like.
As to major, what do you WANT to major in? Do it, and do it well.
Cool, thanks for the info!

I was a hardcore cell and molecular bio major until I took my first psychopathology class. Changed my major to psychology and changed my life plan. I am now an OMS4 applying to psychiatry residency. If you have questions regarding pursuing psychology vs psychiatry, you can PM me as I was in that position a few years ago. That said, you're a freshman! Good lord, go have fun exploring everything and don't spend too much time thinking about all this yet lol. You absolutely do not need to major in a science to get into medical school, so go with whatever field calls to your heart. FYI there's many things one can do with a BS in psych, it just won't be a six figure salary.
Thanks, this was an extremely helpful comment! Also, If I go the psychology route, I'm really going to strive to make it into med school. Im a huge car enthusiast, and I don't think a five figure salary would cater well to my hopes of owning a small collection of unique--and probably expensive--cars! Ahaha.:laugh:
That's not to say I'm in it for the money. Like MacDonaldTriad said, if I wanted the potential to make a exuberant killing I'd be looking into business, not looking to get out of it.

Also, if I have any more questions, I'll definitely PM you. Thanks a ton!

While I generally agree with what most people have said, I will say that majoring in psychology won't hurt you if you go to med school and try for psychiatry. I was a psych major, and it was a point that was brought up at my interviews, that I had a shown a strong, long history of interest in behavioral science. I think that this "track record" helped me. Not saying everyone would feel the same way. Also, just because you major in psych doesn't mean you will have to do psychiatry, and majoring in something else certainly doesn't exclude you.
Awesome advice! That makes me feel a bit better about my interests in psychology as a major.

You don’t have to major in science to get into medical school, but you do have to take science. There will be plenty of time to see if you have the talent for it. If you are interested in making lots of money, go into business. If you like science, medicine is a safe place once you get in. If you are looking for a safe employable field for a BS that has most of the science you need to apply to medicine, these look like chemistry, biomedical engineering, maybe biochem. Nothing says you can’t do business and take organic chem, biology, physics and calculus on your elective time.
Very true. That's sort of what I'm worried about in regards to if I "like" science. I had one bad experience in high school and it haunted me since then. Still, you're definitely right. I could always take a variety of electives in the science field and then decide the major I'd like to pursue.
Thanks.:)