Can I enroll in premed courses as a high school student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SophiaSanti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :)

I'm from Portugal. I'm intending to persue Medical School in US. I was supposed to get my high school graduation this month, but I failed the final exams because I couldn't study. My health decided to control my life, diabetes and heart diseases brought me down and because of it I spent the last couple weeks at the hospital. Everything was ready to go, next month I would be in Los Angeles enrolling at the Premed Certificate in UCLA, in December I would proceed to the Psicobiology (BS) application. After all being done, Med School is my main goal.

However, things are running to a whole different direction. At this point, I'm not sure if there is any possibility of doing the premed courses without the High School graduation on my power.

Can you help me out? I really need some advice as soon as possible!

Thank you in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you could do pre-med courses at a UC or even enroll there without a high school degree, people can correct me if I'm wrong. You should be able to at a junior college though. Do keep in mind that those grades will be there forever and you might not be ready for the courses if you did not complete high school.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you could do pre-med courses at a UC or even enroll there without a high school degree, people can correct me if I'm wrong. You should be able to at a junior college though. Do keep in mind that those grades will be there forever and you might not be ready for the courses if you did not complete high school.

I have a lot of knowledge about science courses, I already took college courses in Portugal. I did it as a external student (you can do it when the high school is not completely done), actually I did 98% of a Psichology Bachelor and took some extra courses in Maths, etc. I can handle with the pre med pressure, is not going to be an obstacle to me. Nevertheless, the main problem remains.

I know that there is premed summer programs to high school students, however that doesn't fit in my goals.

Supposing that I can't get in because of this situation, can I take the exams (maybe an AP) there until December, in order to apply for Psychobiology? If I could do that, I would take the pre med during the BS. Do you know something about the HS exams deadlines?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a lot of knowledge about science courses, I already took college courses in Portugal. I did it as a external student (you can do it when the high school is not completely done), actually I did 98% of a Psichology Bachelor and took some extra courses in Maths, etc. I can handle with the pre med pressure, is not going to be an obstacle to me. Nevertheless, the main problem remains.

I know that there is premed summer programs to high school students, however that doesn't fit in my goals.

Supposing that I can't get in because of this situation, can I take the exams (maybe an AP) there until December, in order to apply for Psychobiology? If I could do that, I would take the pre med during the BS. Do you know something about the HS exams deadlines?
I know that high school science education is significantly better outside the US, so kudos to you if you think you can handle it. AP exams aren't the same as a HS diploma. I think your best bet would be to get a GED if you absolutely cannot get a high school diploma from your actual high school. Not sure if a GED would affect college admissions negatively. Is there no way to get a diploma from your high school without waiting a year? I did fine in college with a foreign diploma, and I feel like that would be better in a long run than a GED

Hello! :)

I'm from Portugal. I'm intending to persue Medical School in US. I was supposed to get my high school graduation this month, but I failed the final exams because I couldn't study. My health decided to control my life, diabetes and heart diseases brought me down and because of it I spent the last couple weeks at the hospital. Everything was ready to go, next month I would be in Los Angeles enrolling at the Premed Certificate in UCLA, in December I would proceed to the Psicobiology (BS) application. After all being done, Med School is my main goal.

However, things are running to a whole different direction. At this point, I'm not sure if there is any possibility of doing the premed courses without the High School graduation on my power.

Can you help me out? I really need some advice as soon as possible!

Thank you in advance! :)
If you don't find their policies clearly stated online, consider contacting the UCLA Admissions Office for guidance. Perhaps your acceptance can be deferred.

I know that high school science education is significantly better outside the US, so kudos to you if you think you can handle it. AP exams aren't the same as a HS diploma. I think your best bet would be to get a GED if you absolutely cannot get a high school diploma from your actual high school. Not sure if a GED would affect college admissions negatively. Is there no way to get a diploma from your high school without waiting a year? I did fine in college with a foreign diploma, and I feel like that would be better in a long run than a GED

How does an AP work there? I thought it was like the AP's here, it's an exam (which contains the whole program) that deletes all the tests done during the course, so the AP grade will be the final grade of the course.

Oh no, I will have to wait one year to retry the exams. Can't wait that long!
I have to create a second plan, just in case this doesn't work. So it would be amazing to have the chance of completing my graduation there, just in time of the December application.

What is a GED?

If you don't find their policies clearly stated online, consider contacting the UCLA Admissions Office for guidance. Perhaps your acceptance can be deferred.

I wrote an email explaining the situation but they didn't reply yet.

Just wait until you get your high school situation sorted out. Med schools will still be there. This isn't a race.

I am more concerned with the failing out of high school because of chronic health reasons and you are going to want put time between that event and med school anyhow or schools will worry about how under control your health issues really are before starting you down such an arduous path. So time is your friend and rushing is not in this particular scenario.

It's not about how much 'knowledge' you have. Its about graduating high school before you start university. That's just how it works.
It's like....a requirement.

I have a lot of knowledge about science courses, I already took college courses in Portugal. I did it as a external student (you can do it when the high school is not completely done), actually I did 98% of a Psichology Bachelor and took some extra courses in Maths, etc. I can handle with the pre med pressure, is not going to be an obstacle to me. ?

upload_2016-7-21_18-21-10.png

I see.