Can I get in? 3.2 GPA, 35 MCAT - unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlieco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the board. Recently graduated from a top Ivy League school with a 3.2 cum GPA (~3.0 sci GPA). In college, both of my parents had terminal cancer, were unable to work, my dad died my sophomore year, I had to help care for my mom, support my family, etc. Needless to say it was difficult circumstances, on top of trying to perform well in school.

As a result of all the difficulty and distractions, my GPA was low (although I have amazing healthcare extracurriculars - labs, health policy, public health, health consulting, etc., as well as recs and a very strong passion to be a doctor because of the reasons I stated above).

Since graduating, I've been home and around my family, the situation has calmed down slightly, and I recently took the MCAT and got a 35. Where does this put me? I don't have the money to do post-baccs... if I apply this spring, given the circumstances, do I have a shot at some decent US med schools?

Any advice you can give me re: target schools, etc. would be extremely helpful!

Carly

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on schools, and I am very sorry for the circumstances that you faced during undergrad. I would hope to think that AdComs would give you a chance, despite the low cGPA/sGPA. And it helps that you have a good-- although terribly sad-- reason for the poor grades. The high mcat also provides support for your capabilities on the material, etc.

I would suggest trying to take Post-bacc classes to try and raise the GPA. I know after graduating your GPA will only raise so much, but if you do well during post-bacc, you'll look better. Alternatively, and maybe last resort? try an SMP.

Hope I could help.