Can I get into a D.O. school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgelucas45

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have:

3.1 overall GPA
3.1 science GPA.
over 300 hours of volunteer experience (with MDs)
I have done research for a full year, but have never published
Pretty good LORs
25 MCAT

I looked into post-bacs and it appears most of the deadlines have already passed. I'm not considering applying to U.S. Allopathic school without some post-bac work.

My plan is to apply to D.O. schools and work during the year off ... if I can't get in, U.S. allopathic is out of the question

I retook the MCAT this April, I was wondering what you guys think I would need to score to be a decent applicant for this years cycle. I don't want to waste my time/money applying if it's unlikely that I'd get in anywhere.

I'd appreciate any input.
George Lucas

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can get in if you apply early. If your MCAT goes up to 28+, then I think you can get in for sure. Make sure you have a good personal statement, answer to why DO?, all that good stuff.

Make sure you get some experience with a D.O. then I think you should be good to go no doubt for at least some interviews if you apply early

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only should you apply EARLY, but you should also apply BROADLY, meaning you should apply to most, if not all of the schools. As has been mentioned in another post, applying early is losing some of its advantage because of the multiple MCAT testing dates (22 per year) that will be offered, but that doesn't mean that applying late is an obsolete goal. Also make sure to shadow and get a letter from a DO. Good luck.

mj1878 said:
Not only should you apply EARLY, but you should also apply BROADLY, meaning you should apply to most, if not all of the schools. As has been mentioned in another post, applying early is losing some of its advantage because of the multiple MCAT testing dates (22 per year) that will be offered, but that doesn't mean that applying late is an obsolete goal. Also make sure to shadow and get a letter from a DO. Good luck.

Agreed, apply to MANY places.

You won't know if you have a shot if you don't apply. I say apply to MANY programs (DO and MD). Each program is going to use different criteria to determine if they accept you, so by applying to many, you increase your chances of getting in.

Wook

georgelucas45 said:
I have:

3.1 overall GPA
3.1 science GPA.
Pretty good LORs
25 MCAT

I looked into post-bacs and it appears most of the deadlines have already passed. I'm not considering applying to U.S. Allopathic school without some post-bac work.

My plan is to apply to D.O. schools and work during the year off ... if I can't get in, U.S. allopathic is out of the question

I retook the MCAT this April, I was wondering what you guys think I would need to score to be a decent applicant for this years cycle. I don't want to waste my time/money applying if it's unlikely that I'd get in anywhere.

George Lucas

Where did you do your undergrad?

georgelucas45 said:
I have:

3.1 overall GPA
3.1 science GPA.
Pretty good LORs
25 MCAT

George Lucas
I echo the 28+ comment. You'll be very competitive then.

Listen, also consider retaking a class or two over the summer. If you can retake a class during summer session 1 or something like that, that ends in like July or something, and it boosts your GPA significantly, then it's worth considering waiting - you're not going to loose too much time in that case.

This is what I did. I retook a class and it boosted my GPA significantly. I ended up applying a little later (end of August/early Sept) but did so with a better app. It's a tradeoff and it's up to you - you can wait and have a better app or apply early with a worse app. In case of the latter, you can still take the class and update them with a transcript, but I was cynical about it, and still am. I think that first glance is what matters and what matters is numbers. I knew that ADCOMs wouldnt take the time to look at my transcript and try to recalculate what my gpa wouldve been with the grade replacement or what it means. Numbers, numbers, numbers.

andi_cvr said:
I think you can get in if you apply early. If your MCAT goes up to 28+, then I think you can get in for sure. Make sure you have a good personal statement, answer to why DO?, all that good stuff.

This is good advice. I'd also advise that you seriously research osteopathic manipulative medicine and spend some time shadowing a DO who practices the stuff. OMT is a big part of an osteopathic medical education.

Just to reiterate... APPLY AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. If you do I think you will do okay, especially if your MCAT gains a point or two. Best of luck

You'll have no problem considering that you are the person behind Starwars and Indiana Jones.

georgelucas45 said:
I don't want to waste my time/money applying if it's unlikely that I'd get in anywhere.

George Lucas
I think everyone here has given really good advice. I just want to emphasize what everyone says; the whole process is a crapshoot, apply to as many as you can, you should be fine. I was in a similar boat when I applied, my GPA was a little better, but my MCAT worse than yours both times I took it. I applied early not knowing how bad my 2nd MCAT would be. I frankly didn't think I'd get in anywhere after I got my 2nd score and thought I wasted my time and money. But I applied to a broad range, and got accepted to 5, WAY beyond what I gave myself credit for. Give yourself some credit, and don't beat yourself up. You'll do great.