Can I get into a DO schools with this GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misty_storm27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what is my chance of getting into a DO school with an overall GPA =3.36, and a science GPA = 3.21? I did some volunteer work over the summer. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, however, I am going to take it this August...What kind of MCAT scores should I aim for in order to get into a DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

aim for 38... dont be satisfied with anything less. ;-)

you'll be fine, just do the best you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
misty_storm27 said:
Hi,
I was wondering what is my chance of getting into a DO school with an overall GPA =3.36, and a science GPA = 3.21? I did some volunteer work over the summer. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, however, I am going to take it this August...What kind of MCAT scores should I aim for in order to get into a DO schools?

25+ and you should get in to some schools... Apply early and to many!

misty_storm27 said:
Hi,

With that GPA and an MCAT of 28, you can get into AZCOM, KCOM, DMU-COM, and OSU-COM, for example.

With an MCAT of 24, you can get into AZCOM and maybe KCOM.

I can't attest to other schools.

Aim high. Can't go wrong with that. To be realistic, try at least for a 30. Good luck!

I got into every school I applied to with a 29. MSUCOM. NSUCOM

26+ is the average

aim high not minum

misty_storm27 said:
Hi,

bigfatk said:
hi everyone,
i have a similar question and didn't feel like starting a new thread. i have a 3.18 gpa and 30 on the mcat. (i screwed up freshman year but there's a definite upward trend in my grades- even an A+ in a grad bio class senior year) i graduated in 2005 and have been working in a research lab for a year now (publishing soon!). i have 200+ hours shadowing a DO plus some other extra-curriculars and volunteer work from college. i REALLY want to apply this year. do you think i have a chance at east coast & west coast DO schools (i don't want to be land locked!)? which schools do you think i should apply to?
bigfatk :confused:

Yes. Apply to AZCOM.

Do you have a chance.......Yes.

Make sure you give great attention to your personal statement. It is amazing as to how far a good or bad personal essay can go!!

misty_storm27 said:
Hi,

you should aim for a 25. youd get into pikeville, philadelphia, and university of new england

can i get into the following schools with these stats 3.38 overall 3.42 non-science and 3.46 science and 23 MCAT: NCYOM, PCOM, VCOM, WVSOM, also anyone who has already matriculated to a D.O. school, if you have your personal statement saved can u email it to me at [email protected] i promise that i won't use it word for word, i'll just use it to get an idea of what my p.s should look like, just an idea. thanx.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me one of the benefits to applying to DO schools is that it is not all about the numbers. They look at the overall application and take everything into consideration.

I had a low MCAT, but had a great overall package. If you have low numbers in one area, you need to make other areas shine such as your personal statement and volunteer experiences. Do not underestimate the power of the personal statement. I knew applicants that werent even interviewed and had high numbers but their personal statement sucked.

So to answer both of you...are those numbers enough to get you in? Yes, but you need to work on a great essay and a great interview and hopefully you have a bunch of volunteer work to show that you are a dedicated person and you should be ok.

Good luck all!!!!!

Amy B said:
To me one of the benefits to applying to DO schools is that it is not all about the numbers. They look at the overall application and take everything into consideration.

I had a low MCAT, but had a great overall package. If you have low numbers in one area, you need to make other areas shine such as your personal statement and volunteer experiences. Do not underestimate the power of the personal statement. I knew applicants that werent even interviewed and had high numbers but their personal statement sucked.

So to answer both of you...are those numbers enough to get you in? Yes, but you need to work on a great essay and a great interview and hopefully you have a bunch of volunteer work to show that you are a dedicated person and you should be ok.

Good luck all!!!!!
:thumbup:

JennSong said:
Same question here, what do you guys think?

I've got a 3.45 GPA, 3.23 science. Taking the MCAT in August.

Where would you recommend I apply? My MDApplicants thing should be down there in my signature.

I'll do UMDNJ-SOM because I'll be interning with a DO there this summer. Then I was thinking of UNECOM and NSUCOM, and maybe LECOM-E and -B.

Yes/No/Maybe?

Apply to all DO schools that you would be interested in attending. You cannot go off of average stats to predict your acceptance rate to DO schools.

OSUdoc08 said:
Apply to all DO schools that you would be interested in attending. You cannot go off of average stats to predict your acceptance rate to DO schools.

Apply to however many that you can afford to apply.

ppormansdoormd said:
can i get into the following schools with these stats 3.38 overall 3.42 non-science and 3.46 science and 23 MCAT: NCYOM, PCOM, VCOM, WVSOM, also anyone who has already matriculated to a D.O. school, if you have your personal statement saved can u email it to me at [email protected] i promise that i won't use it word for word, i'll just use it to get an idea of what my p.s should look like, just an idea. thanx.

Hey why does your email contain the word "doc" when you aren't even in medical school yet? and you might be able to get into WVSOM with that low MCAT score.

davidrossms1 said:
Hey why does your email contain the word "doc" when you aren't even in medical school yet? and you might be able to get into WVSOM with that low MCAT score.

One more person ignorantly putting WVSOM down based only on admissions stats. It is extremely difficult to get an interview at WVSOM with any stats IF YOU ARE OUT-OF-STATE. That school exists to provide docs for WV. I have a friend who graduated from there that advised me not to waste my time applying because I wouldn't get an interview. The stats tempted me to apply anyway because mine were a bit higher. I applied and ended up wasting my money. Im going to NSU-COM so I don't "have a dog in the fight" but it is a highly rated primary care focused school and they don't deserve the reputation that is given them by many people here on SDN.
By the way,my friend got into a competitive residency in EM and is a successfull physician today.
Dr.EMS

Hhhmmmm. Both my self and a number of my friends did get interviews to WVSOM and all of us were from out of state. This was 3 years ago, so perhaps things have changed.

Amy B said:
Hhhmmmm. Both my self and a number of my friends did get interviews to WVSOM and all of us were from out of state. This was 3 years ago, so perhaps things have changed.

Must have. For 2003-2004 WVSOM was less than 50% in-state students. I got the picture that they liked having all that OOS tuition. They also were at the bottom of the list as far as diversity. Other than that, I could have seen myself going there.

Like many others have said, shoot for the highest score possible since there are no guarantees about getting into any school. I had a 31 MCAT, a 3.5 overall with a 3.6 science gpa, and almost 10 years experience in healthcare, and I didn't get a single interview from 15 schools so do your best and get that app in to as many schools as possible ASAP!

DR. EMS said:
One more person ignorantly putting WVSOM down based only on admissions stats. It is extremely difficult to get an interview at WVSOM with any stats IF YOU ARE OUT-OF-STATE. That school exists to provide docs for WV. I have a friend who graduated from there that advised me not to waste my time applying because I wouldn't get an interview. The stats tempted me to apply anyway because mine were a bit higher. I applied and ended up wasting my money. Im going to NSU-COM so I don't "have a dog in the fight" but it is a highly rated primary care focused school and they don't deserve the reputation that is given them by many people here on SDN.
By the way,my friend got into a competitive residency in EM and is a successfull physician today.
Dr.EMS

When you say "it is a highly rated primary care focused school and they don't deserve the reputation that is given them by many people here on SDN."

--when you say "it" are you refering to WVSOM? because you contradicted yourself by saying that your friend who graduated from WVSOM, "got into a competitive residency in EM and is a successfull physician today."

i just want to clarify this, i'm not trying to start anything.

Amy B said:

Good luck all!!!!!

Amy - how much is a "bunch of volunteer work?" (in my case - 2 years in the peace corps obviously being the bulk of it)

thanks!

sevira said:
Amy - how much is a "bunch of volunteer work?" (in my case - 2 years in the peace corps obviously being the bulk of it)

thanks!

That's obviously enough.

Out of staters, please don't be discouraged from applying to WVSOM. They accept a lot of OOS students. Currently, 40% of their class is from out of state.

hoberto said:
Out of staters, please don't be discouraged from applying to WVSOM. They accept a lot of OOS students. Currently, 40% of their class is from out of state.

The deterrent for OOS applicants to WVSOM is not the in-state/out-of-state population ratio, but the in-state/OOS TUITION ratio! The OOS tuition is insane...

Packamylase said:
The deterrent for OOS applicants to WVSOM is not the in-state/out-of-state population ratio, but the in-state/OOS TUITION ratio! The OOS tuition is insane...

Yep, that is exactly why I didn't apply there.

Packamylase said:

I agree, that's a big reason why I didn't go there.

hoberto said:
I agree, that's a big reason why I didn't go there.

I don't recall, where did you decide to go? Sorry to hijack thread.

phrygian said:
Like many others have said, shoot for the highest score possible since there are no guarantees about getting into any school. I had a 31 MCAT, a 3.5 overall with a 3.6 science gpa, and almost 10 years experience in healthcare, and I didn't get a single interview from 15 schools so do your best and get that app in to as many schools as possible ASAP!

Did you kick their dogs or something? Those are strong enough stats for the majority of allopathic schools as well.lol

MossPoh said:
Did you kick their dogs or something? Those are strong enough stats for the majority of allopathic schools as well.lol

I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences, too.

Its funy what I read here sometime how much is focused on stats. Amy is exactly right. There is MUCH to say for a great essay and EC's (subjective adcom opinion) vs only two metrics of MCAT and GPA. I am sure doing well on EC'a and aspecially essay, plus going to open houses and meeting the ad comm and admin will make up the lousy 4 points needed to make say for me me mcat "competitive". then again I am 32 years old and was the same way after undergrad comparing myself to everyone.

During yourself a favor and be you own man or women and compete agaisnt yourself. All else is undo stress. By the way I was accepted and was atop my class so I guess I had a chip on my shoulder.

Take home lesson. School accept people they like not number they like.

DOnt get me wrong they do hold a weight to get you to an interview. But then its all about selling yourself to adcom. verbally and more importantly non-verbally

Its funy what I read here sometime how much is focused on stats. Amy is exactly right. There is MUCH to say for a great essay and EC's (subjective adcom opinion) vs only two metrics of MCAT and GPA. I am sure doing well on EC'a and aspecially essay, plus going to open houses and meeting the ad comm and admin will make up the lousy 4 points needed to make say for me me mcat "competitive". then again I am 32 years old and was the same way after undergrad comparing myself to everyone.

During yourself a favor and be you own man or women and compete agaisnt yourself. All else is undo stress. By the way I was accepted and was atop my class so I guess I had a chip on my shoulder.

Take home lesson. School accept people they like not number they like.

DOnt get me wrong they do hold a weight to get you to an interview. But then its all about selling yourself to adcom. verbally and more importantly non-verbally

I guess that's what you must have been doing when you made this post ;)

Please write more coherently in the future... it detracts from your good point if you don't take the time to make a coherent argument.

I know I'm being an ass, but posts like this are a pet peeve. Congrats on doing well in med school!! Best of luck in your residencies and eventual career goals...

I got into UNE. Look at my stuff below.

Hi,

Don't aim, shoot for a 45 and put that kind of work in. Let the chips fall where they may with the MCAT. GPA is OK, nothing that will blow anyone away, but many others have gotten into DO schools, and some have gotten into U.S. MD schools with that GPA.

With that GPA and an MCAT of 28, you can get into AZCOM, KCOM, DMU-COM, and OSU-COM, for example.

With an MCAT of 24, you can get into AZCOM and maybe KCOM.

I can't attest to other schools.

You can add KCUMB to the MCAT 28 list as well.

I had a sub-3.3 gpa undergrad (though I did go to a post-bac program) with a 29 (11 VR, 9 BS, 9 PS) MCAT and was offered an interview before they even asked for a secondary. I also had an extensive research background (I participated in studies as a tech with NICHD, Department of Pediatric Oncology at USUHS and the Washington Hospital Center... no first authors though :( ).

Some of my classmates were the other way around with fantastic undergrad GPA's (3.6-3.7 range) and sub-par MCATs (24-25... one of my friends had a 19 but almost a 3.8 GPA).

There's no one formula, as everybody's a little different. I do highly recommend Princeton Review. If you follow their program religiously, you'll get the results you're looking for (my VR practice scores started at a 6 and they did wonders with that). Its expensive, but heck... its chump change next to the massive loans you'll take out for medical school. Make it count!

Don't aim, shoot for a 45 and put that kind of work in. Let the chips fall where they may with the MCAT. GPA is OK, nothing that will blow anyone away, but many others have gotten into DO schools, and some have gotten into U.S. MD schools with that GPA.

That doesn't seem like very good advice to me. If you shoot w/o aiming, you will not likely hit your target. And a 45 is not realistic, so you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

We are statistical twins! Please God let me get an interview before Christmas :scared:

That doesn't seem like very good advice to me. If you shoot w/o aiming, you will not likely hit your target. And a 45 is not realistic, so you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Its great advice. Your goal should be to do the best you can, period. Why aim for a 30 and get soft on studying if you get that score on a couple of practice tests? Of course a 45 isn't realistic the the overwhelming majority of us, but why not shoot for it?

Hi,

yes, you can, I got in with a lower gpa. Mcat will prob have to be 26+ to be confident(32 here), but lower will prob still get you in with an otherwise solid application.