Can I get into Dental School? Previous Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drsosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I earned my bachelors degree from a middle tier university in Nutrition & Food Science. I have prepared myself extensively for a chance to get accepted into medical school. Ultimately, I have decided that the lifestyle of a physician is not for me, and unfortunately, I decided this right before I apply to medical school.

I am currently on a gap year of my studies and I am looking to apply to dental school this upcoming cycle. I have gained some incredible letters of recommendation that are very personalized from various professors, PI's, administration from my University, and organizations I have worked with during my undergraduate years. I really don't want to waste these letters. (hopefully I can get them to re-write them and tailor them oto dental programs) Everything I have done from extra curricular's, research, and shadowing were done in order to better my chances of getting into a MD or DO program. How do I spin this around and make my self into a compelling Dental applicant, as I was a compelling Medical applicant prior. Do I have a good chance of getting into Dental school amid a average DAT score. Will coming from a disadvantaged socioeconomic background play any role in whether schools view my application Differently? (It would have in Medicine). Does a research position at the NIH in pre-natal medicine positively or negatively affect my application? Please help.

Here is some of my stats prior to taking the DAT;

1. GPA : 3.5
2. Science GPA: 3.5
3. Founder & President of Student organization on campus
4. Board position with non profit organization (United Way)
5. Served on campaign committees for United way
6.Emerging Leader program with the United Way
7. 1 year research at the NIH for premature birth.
8. Research at my Universities school of medicine in the Dept. of Cell Biology. (Histology)
9.. Mentor & tutor for 1 year. Taught mathematics to elementary student.
10.. 400+ hours volunteering at the Karmanos Cancer Insitute as a patient Transporter
11. Set up and executed MLK day of Service. Served as the director.
12. Student Senate Community Affairs committee
13. Volunteer Leadership Program for the March of Dimes (Pre-mature birth)

Members don't see this ad.

Very Nice stats overall IMO.
However, did you take the MCAT? I know of a student who switched from pre-med to pre-dent because he bombed the mcat. Like he got a 20 MCAT with a 3.7GPA. He got one interview but the adcoms tore him up when they asked him for his MCAT score.

I did not take the mcat at all. I faced a crisis right when I started signing up for the MCAT and putting my paper work together for my medical app.

Is it better if I dont take the MCAT? I was going to take it just to see how I would do after the DAT is complete.

Do ADCOMS need to know I switched from pre-med? I also plan on applying to 20+ schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not take the mcat at all. I faced a crisis right when I started signing up for the MCAT and putting my paper work together for my medical app.

Is it better if I dont take the MCAT? I was going to take it just to see how I would do after the DAT is complete.

Do ADCOMS need to know I switched from pre-med? I also plan on applying to 20+ schools.

DO NOT take the MCAT. If you switched to dentistry, why take the MCAT? Adcoms may see that you are using dentistry as a backup especially if you bomb the MCAT. They will not take kindly to that.
I don't think ADCOMS will know that you switched career paths unless you were in AMSA or something medical related.

Every interview I had they asked me if I had taken the MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are fine. I was also a pre-med student before...took mcat, worked with many doctors and hospitals, volunteered in rehabs and hospitals. Shadowed doctors and dentists. Did a lot of research in biomaterials and chemical engineering. Everything was tailored to medical school except shadowing dentists. But I was accepted to my dream dental school.
Just do welll 22+ on your DAT and you should be fine.

Hi,

I earned my bachelors degree from a middle tier university in Nutrition & Food Science. I have prepared myself extensively for a chance to get accepted into medical school. Ultimately, I have decided that the lifestyle of a physician is not for me, and unfortunately, I decided this right before I apply to medical school.

I am currently on a gap year of my studies and I am looking to apply to dental school this upcoming cycle. I have gained some incredible letters of recommendation that are very personalized from various professors, PI's, administration from my University, and organizations I have worked with during my undergraduate years. I really don't want to waste these letters. (hopefully I can get them to re-write them and tailor them oto dental programs) Everything I have done from extra curricular's, research, and shadowing were done in order to better my chances of getting into a MD or DO program. How do I spin this around and make my self into a compelling Dental applicant, as I was a compelling Medical applicant prior. Do I have a good chance of getting into Dental school amid a average DAT score. Will coming from a disadvantaged socioeconomic background play any role in whether schools view my application Differently? (It would have in Medicine). Does a research position at the NIH in pre-natal medicine positively or negatively affect my application? Please help.

Here is some of my stats prior to taking the DAT;

1. GPA : 3.5
2. Science GPA: 3.5
3. Founder & President of Student organization on campus
4. Board position with non profit organization (United Way)
5. Served on campaign committees for United way
6.Emerging Leader program with the United Way
7. 1 year research at the NIH for premature birth.
8. Research at my Universities school of medicine in the Dept. of Cell Biology. (Histology)
9.. Mentor & tutor for 1 year. Taught mathematics to elementary student.
10.. 400+ hours volunteering at the Karmanos Cancer Insitute as a patient Transporter
11. Set up and executed MLK day of Service. Served as the director.
12. Student Senate Community Affairs committee
13. Volunteer Leadership Program for the March of Dimes (Pre-mature birth)

Please do not take the MCAT, MCAT requires a very extensive review with the cost of material being not small. Why don't you save this money amount and put it on DAT prep (DATbootcamp, Crack the DAT, Achiever, etc)? I was in your boat. I took the MCAT, went ahead and apply to DO school (MCAT score does not cut out for MD), received 5 interviews, then it hit me what i was pursuing is my parents' dream not mine. I was very upset and sad as I study for DAT. But I did well.

since dental only requires 3 LOR (1 being the dentist) I think you have to justchoose 2.

Best wishes,

Interviewer: Have you taken the MCAT?
Weakfart: Yup.
Interviewer: How did you do?
Weakfart: Perfect score, 30!
Interviewer: Uh....

They don't have the authority to check or to ask you. Why would they need to know this?

perfect score is 45 btw if that is sarcasm, forgive me! New MCAT score is gonna be in the 200-350

Every interview I had they asked me if I had taken the MCAT
why would this matter? I would assume all that would matter to them was that you took the DAT and did well…also what is stopping someone from lying? The AMCAS which administers the MCAT doesn't share info with dental schools--infact they don't have access at all to that info. What is stopping student from lying about taking it, or inflating their score? Seems like a pointless inquiry.

They don't have the authority to check or to ask you. Why would they need to know this?

perfect score is 45 btw if that is sarcasm, forgive me! New MCAT score is gonna be in the 200-350
D2HWXaq.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Hey man, I was in the same boat as you. Took a year off after graduation to switch track. But I switched track prior to graduating.

That being said, I took the MCAT 3 times. None of the schools I interviewed at asked about them. They did, however, asked why I switched and I supposed my answer sufficed.

The timeline is a bit rushed for you to do a complete overhaul to your application. I spent entire year to create my dental portfolio after I switched track. The only background I can see that can help is being a URM. I dont think being poor will help. Lastly, research will never count against you.

Good luck with your transition, but I think you might end up either taking another year off or applying late this cycle.