Can I get into medical school with a 3.5 through SUNY BUFFALO STATE COLLEGE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into a medical school with a 3.5 from a local suny college and high mcat scores and well extra curriculars? Or would that 3.5 be equivalent to a 3.0 prestigious school? Do personal statements play a huge deciding factor in whether or not you can get admitted into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

How many times will you make this thread? Yes it is possible to get into med school from buffalo state. GPAs are not really compared the way you are suggesting; it is one number and does not exist in a vacuum. You haven't even started school yet so you don't even know what your GPA will be.

Reactions: 3 users
It's definitely still worth trying! A 3.5 won't be the death of you but you should make sure you include lower tier schools on your school list. What are you considering a high score for MCAT? >34, >36, >38, >40? That makes a huge difference. How is your science GPA relative to cumulative GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You keep asking this, and the answer is still yes.

I don't care if you go to Weber State in Utah or these schools:

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-smallest-colleges.php

if you do well in your courses, the MCAT and have the right ECs, you have a good chance of getting into medical school.

So be OK with SUNY Buffalo State already.

A 3.0 from UC Berkeley or Harvard is not getting into med school, either. Try 3.6 for MD and 3.3. to 3.5 for DO.

Is it possible to get into a medical school with a 3.5 from a local suny college and high mcat scores and well extra curriculars? Or would that 3.5 be equivalent to a 3.0 prestigious school? Do personal statements play a huge deciding factor in whether or not you can get admitted into a medical school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You keep asking his, and the answer is still yes.

I don't care if you go to Weber State in Utah or these schools:

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-smallest-colleges.php

if you do well in your courses, the MCAT and have the right ECs, you have a good chance of getting into medical school.

So be OK with SUNY Buffalo State already.

A 3.0 from UC Berkeley or Harvard is not getting into med school, either. Try 3.6 for MD and 3.3. to 3.5 for DO.
Okay. Thank you. I tend to over analyze information and all my friends and family keep telling me UG matters a lot, which kind of worries me. But many of you said it doesn't matter that greatly.. Therefore, I feel more confident in the school I will be soon attending. If I don't like the environment I will transfer to University at Buffalo. Thank you for all your answers.

Okay. Thank you. I tend to over analyze information and all my friends and family keep telling me UG matters a lot, which kind of worries me. But many of you said it doesn't matter that greatly.. Therefore, I feel more confident in the school I will be soon attending. If I don't like the environment I will transfer to University at Buffalo. Thank you for all your answers.

As has been said, where you go to school is not an end-all-be-all type thing, but even if it were, I can almost guarantee you that SUNY Buffalo State vs University at Buffalo is going to make 0 difference.

Also @Goro, your cat picture changed! Threw me for a loop for a second there.

Reactions: 1 user
Although i would have liked to go to a bigger more prestigious school I decided against it. Went to a small state like 10 minutes from home. Will graduate half semester early with no debt. I got 33+ June mcat (old scale). That means I scored better or same as 90%+ of test takers that day. Test takers that went to Ivy League schools as well as top research unis.

What will look bad is if u graduate with a 3.9 but you mcat is like a 24.

Thank you for the information guys. Really appreciate it.