Can I get into medical school with a low cGPA, but high GPA in last 2 yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalKape

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey StudentDoctor!

I am new here, but have been a long time lurker.

Here is some background info:

I am a 4th year at UC Berkeley majoring in Integrative Biology. I am also URM and "low-income".

My first 2 years with rough mostly because I wasnt used to all the competition and did not have any good study habits. In my first two years I got 4 C+ and 2 B-. My overall GPA for my first year was a 2.7. Then, I improved a little my second year and my overall GPA was a 3.35 for that year, but a 2.9 cGPA. Not good enough, but I started to feel more confident. My third year, I improved a lot in my opinion. I was able to obtain a 3.65 during the fall and a 3.8 during the spring of my 3rd year. Then, my fourth year has been another succesful one because I got a 3.8 last semester, and might get a 3.75. I think I might end up with a 3.25-3.3 cGPA.

The classes that I have taken during my last 2 years. All have been upper division classes in the MCB, IB, and Psych depts.

Biochem- A-
Huma Repro-A
Endocronoligy-A
Anatomy with lab-A, B+
Phisiology with lab-A-,A-
Human psych-A
Psych of sleep-A-
Medical Ethnobotany-A
Biology with lab (lower div)-B+,A-
Animal Behavior-B+

Should I take a 5th year? SMP? Informal postbac?

The classes where I got a C+: OChem 1 and 2, GenChem, and Plant Bio. I got A's in ochem lab 1 and 2.

Although I am improving, I still think I might end up with a low GPA (3.2-3.3) because I took so many units my first 2 years. I have not taken the MCAT, but plan on taking it next Fall in 2014 before the new MCAT starts. Also, I have some potential LOR writers so far. I have been doing the typical "pre-med" extracurriculars and summer research at a genetics lab..

Also, for anyone who is experiencing the same thing I experienced my first 2 years, the key to my improvement was: FORM A STUDY GROUP WITH YOUr FRIENDS.

I was a loner my first 2 years, and now I study with like 15 close friends.

Thank you for any input you can provide. I appreciate it a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any feedback? Input?

Anything is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey StudentDoctor!

I am new here, but have been a long time lurker.

Here is some background info:

I am a 4th year at UC Berkeley majoring in Integrative Biology. I am also URM and "low-income".

My first 2 years with rough mostly because I wasnt used to all the competition and did not have any good study habits. In my first two years I got 4 C+ and 2 B-. My overall GPA for my first year was a 2.7. Then, I improved a little my second year and my overall GPA was a 3.35 for that year, but a 2.9 cGPA. Not good enough, but I started to feel more confident. My third year, I improved a lot in my opinion. I was able to obtain a 3.65 during the fall and a 3.8 during the spring of my 3rd year. Then, my fourth year has been another succesful one because I got a 3.8 last semester, and might get a 3.75. I think I might end up with a 3.25-3.3 cGPA.

The classes that I have taken during my last 2 years. All have been upper division classes in the MCB, IB, and Psych depts.

Biochem- A-
Huma Repro-A
Endocronoligy-A
Anatomy with lab-A, B+
Phisiology with lab-A-,A-
Human psych-A
Psych of sleep-A-
Medical Ethnobotany-A
Biology with lab (lower div)-B+,A-
Animal Behavior-B+

Should I take a 5th year? SMP? Informal postbac?

The classes where I got a C+: OChem 1 and 2, GenChem, and Plant Bio. I got A's in ochem lab 1 and 2.

Although I am improving, I still think I might end up with a low GPA (3.2-3.3) because I took so many units my first 2 years. I have not taken the MCAT, but plan on taking it next Fall in 2014 before the new MCAT starts. Also, I have some potential LOR writers so far. I have been doing the typical "pre-med" extracurriculars and summer research at a genetics lab..

Also, for anyone who is experiencing the same thing I experienced my first 2 years, the key to my improvement was: FORM A STUDY GROUP WITH YOUr FRIENDS.

I was a loner my first 2 years, and now I study with like 15 close friends.

Thank you for any input you can provide. I appreciate it a lot.

I recommend that you take another year at Cal if its practical and affordable, and take the MCAT before you decide to do an SMP, which is very costly. A sufficiently high MCAT (34+) can possibly compensate for the 3.3 and net you some interviews at MD schools, so take a light class load while studying for the MCAT or no class at all since you can study in the summer. You have a classic upward trend, and you did a great job of finishing very strongly, so that's a huge plus.

Apply early and broad, and include DO schools. If you get no bites, most SMPs allow you to apply the winter/spring before you'd start since they are aiming for candidates who aren't getting interview invites.