Can I hold onto one MD acceptance and one Texas DO acceptance post-deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonwill7414

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to get off the waitlist at one of the Texas MD schools (I am currently on a few of the waitlists for the Texas MD schools). I have been accepted to MD schools in other states and narrowed that list down to one MD school outside of Texas. I have been accepted to the DO school in Texas. If I do not get off the waitlists at the Texas MD school, I will go to the MD school over the Texas DO school. However, if I do get off the waitlists at the Texas MD schools, I will definitely go to them over the MD school in the other state. To summarize: Texas MD > MD in other state > Texas DO

Here is my question: after the deadline on April 30th, can I still hold on to the MD acceptance and the Texas DO acceptance? My reason for asking is that if I withdraw from the Texas DO school, given that is the only school I have been accepted to in Texas, the Texas MD schools may not accept me off their waitlist in the coming months because I chose a school in a different state over the Texas DO school. Texas schools have a reputation for supporting each other and I do not want to hurt my chances of getting off one of those waitlists, however small they may be, if I do not have to. If I do not hearing anything by June, I would plan on letting the Texas DO school know then. However, I would prefer to keep my options open as long as possible if I could in the small chance of getting into the Texas MD school. Can anyone comment on how the deadline works with holding acceptances from MD and DO schools, especially in relation to Texas. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
DO and MD schools don't communicate with each other so they won't know. The only thing you will lose it the 500-1000$ deposit that you have to put to reserve a set at a DO school.
Thanks for your respone. That was the impression I was under, but since the Texas DO school (TCOM - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine) is included in TMDSAS (the Texas medical school admissions system), I wasn't sure if that was still true because I didn't know if TMDSAS communicated with other MD programs and vice versa, thus making the Texas DO school an exception to this rule

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
A few thoughts

1) TMDSAS has info on all schools as well as info from AMCAS.
2) While AMCAS sets a traffic guideline, it is also recommends a policy as each school controls their own acceptance. Most schools have a policy written that can be easily interpreted meaning any medical school. While this highly unlikely to be caught as AMCAS and AACOMAS do not currently communicate, acceptees should be aware that by holding 2 acceptances , whether MD or DO, either school could rescind your acceptance and you would have no recourse.

Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was worried about, so I'll make sure to only hold the single acceptance and hope for the best as I do not want to take that risk. I appreciate your help.

I would uncomplicate the matter and withdraw your acceptance from the TCOM.

Are you a Texas resident? If so, I would take the in state tuition over an OOS MD acceptance any day of the week and twice on sunday.

The TMDSAS website is a little ambiguous on this matter (https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/acceptance_Match_info.html:):

"Applicants may hold multiple offers of acceptance from the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By April 30 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."

Since the latter part talks about Texas schools only, I would call them and ask if the bolded part only applies to Texas schools as well. If the rule doesn't apply to OOS acceptances, than you should be good. If it does apply, then you have to make a decision. How many Texas waitlists are you on?

So given your scenario, your #1 TX MD school would know that you held acceptances at 2 schools past April 30th, right? My only concern is that your #1 would find that dishonest/of poor character seeing as schools seem to make a big deal out of the April 30th deadline. Not sure how to get that info, though.

This seems sketchy. I think it is time to make your decision now.

Are you a Texas resident? If so, I would take the in state tuition over an OOS MD acceptance any day of the week and twice on sunday.
Ok, don't listen to this guy. Getting the gold standard American MD degree is worth the few dozen thousand and not having to explain yourself to laymen and work even harder to match. Second my vote is to withdraw from TCOM. I know UTH didn't like applicants who applied to all schools except TCOM but I don't think at this point it will be something they care about

Reactions: 3 users
why would you want to hold onto the do seat?

If you know you won't go to a school under any circumstances, the right thing to do is withdraw. Somebody who could be making plans is anxiously awaiting because of your selfishness and feeble attempt to play the system.

You can hold on to ANY acceptance that you want. Heck I even went to UT Houston's welcome weekend somewhere in March (or was it april?) in anticipation that that is where I was heading. In may, I got accepted into UTSW, and I jumped boat. Acceptances roll out all the way through May, and with that wait list movement keeps taking place. It's perfectly normal to hold on to an acceptance for as long as you want until you get a better deal. Once you do, you drop that spot, and it's given to someone else (which is exactly why waitlist movement takes place all the way until May).

Though I will second the advice being given regarding dropping TCOM if you already have an option which you'll obviously pick above TCOM. And lets face it, MD > DO when it comes to residency application. DO students are at a ridiculous disadvantage during the residency cycle when applying to ACGME residency programs. They literally have to drop out of the osteopathic match if they want to try for an ACGME program. If they go for the osteopathic match successfully, they are withdrawn from an ACGME match. But anyway, if you know you're not going to TCOM, then let someone else take that spot. But hold on to the MD spot you have, you never know when you'll be taken off of the waitlist.

Ok, don't listen to this guy. Getting the gold standard American MD degree is worth the few dozen thousand and not having to explain yourself to laymen and work even harder to match. Second my vote is to withdraw from TCOM. I know UTH didn't like applicants who applied to all schools except TCOM but I don't think at this point it will be something they care about

Absolutely not true. MD and DO can do literally the exact same thing and there is ZERO difference between the two in prestige and pay or preference in residencies with the merger being established soon. With those being equal, there is no justification for going to an OOS MD school over an in state DO school where cost of attendance is 1/3 the price. That few dozen thousand triples with interest...

Absolutely not true. MD and DO can do literally the exact same thing and there is ZERO difference between the two in prestige and pay or preference in residencies with the merger being established soon. With those being equal, there is no justification for going to an OOS MD school over an in state DO school where cost of attendance is 1/3 the price. That few dozen thousand triples with interest...
That's wishful thinking. Just because the residencies are merging does not mean that the MD preference will go away. If anything, I suspect formerly DO residencies in competitive specialties will start preferring MD students.

LOL! you really bought into the koolaid